Thread: MP Still lots of fun with a skeleton crew

Default MP Still lots of fun with a skeleton crew

Well I know how many people (myself included) can get down when there isn't a good turnout to an MP session. But I got to admit I was kind of surprised how tonight worked out.

I managed to see 3 meets tonight as did Scott and they happened to be the two of us. Now mind you we did have a newbie come by to check out the action, and Grant also managed to squeeze in for about an hour. All of us, and our trains played an important role. The night started with 4 trains on the territory needing crews. By the end of the night there was only 2 left.

The night started off at 18:45 and I began to bring down a train in a bad position at Cameron that was abandoned the other night. I managed to get it to Sanborn while passing Scott's custom UP 1-MWCRV3X-17 that he spawned at Fleta. Once I got my train into Sanbron I proceeded to take another EB this time BAKBAR that had work at Mojave sitting up at Summit Siding. Sure enough we passed each other again just after my departure. The newbie was able to catch all the action.

Scott continued his run to Bakersfield and after working continued my run up to Barstow. By the time we both finished up our runs it was close to 23:00 so he took a break to watch the news and I began to build up a custom return train out of my car request matrix for M-BARBAK-18. While I was doing this Grant stopped by and took the H-PASBAR from Cable Xover heading east. I told him that he would see BARBAK eventually. Unfortunately he had to go, but it worked out because Scott was coming back and he relieved it at Mojave.

So Scott headed east and I forgot that you had to be offline to create a train. So I asked him to disconnect for a minute. Unfortunately we lost his train. But there was still another EB Auto train up at Bissel. Meanwhile I brought the BAKBAR power over to the departure track and hooked up. It was a heavy loaded train and brought my 2 units to a mere 1.7 so I knew I would need some help for the summit at least.

I rang Scott up and he had plenty of power on his EB so he agreed to drop me a unit at Edwards. I limped a bit and it was fun running across the desert through a clear night. I could tell we were going to meet at Jim Grey but at first it seemed I would get there first. However with less power than normal, that plan changed and I got him to take the siding. Wouldn't you know it a running meet. The night came to an end just before 04:00 as he got into Barstow, and I was in Edwards siding picking up that unit he left me.

Probably one of the more fun nights with very few amount of people. I wouldn't want to do this every night, but I plan on doing this again Sunday at the very least. Am I addicted, no not really. I'm just passionate about what I love to do.

Thanks

Sean

Morning,
    I stopped by to say last nights session was really enjoyable, whiles one of the smaller sessions having less crews, gave a nice busy feel throughout the entire route. Timing of meets was 2nd to none, from what sessions I've experience elsewhere, Timing, Rt. Control, you really have that down to a science, even if this latest sessions meet was somewhat unplanned later in the session. Grants shorter run/recrew due to time constraints worked out just perfectly, allowing me to continue where he'd left off.
    Was also very nice to see a new visitor stop by, I won't name them till ok to do so, you know whom you are, but we'll be most happy to help get you involved in the sport of Run8 Railroading, no matter whom may host a session, be it outside the official forums, &, or within, if & when your feeling comfy. I find myself enjoying owner created trains much more than the default make-ups these days. These latest creations from others, along with my own, give a nice feeling of realness for which I'm more used to experiencing in my neck of the woods, with less uniformity when it comes to the looks dept., & car types being chosen during train make-up.. Our loss of 1 train during the night was handled just fine by all involved with this session, no harsh words were exchanged, for which we all weathered the situation together. Even that in itself was a pleasant experience, handled together, which ultimately brought about other ideas, &, another fine meet later in the session to boot. Now for another power nap of the old carcass.... SMRY (Scott)
    Last edited by SMRY; 04-18-2013 at 09:48 AM.

Power nap, I might need one of those up as I'm up early at just past noon That loss of train was my fault because I have to remember everyone should relinquish before taking the server down. It's why you lost a train when the session you were in last week went down on you more than likely.

But in the end it was worth it. I'm really enjoying bringing in the custom stuff to. My routine needs a little more efficiency as far as getting the actual cars set up. But right now it does 3 things perfectly. It acquires x number of car types based on the random calls for waybills. Then it randomly selects x number of cars to be chosen and in the order of choice (with the exception of any head end blocks). Finally it randomly takes the waybills and places them in various locations of the train.

The difference for me is very noticeable especially in the yards. If you recall in the past switching a yard though random waybills was some what predictable due to the same trains bringing them in. Now some days it may be easier or more difficult to switch because the cars all come from various sources far away. The only thing that looks uniform now is the Edison Local due to it's blocking. Even the outbound trains to BAR, WC, and YR have just a bit of uniformity which is normal. Cuts of box cars from Edison, or hoppers from Mojave for example.

On a side note I applied for 2 more jobs yesterday so I'm hoping. Otherwise this Sunday night we'll do it all over again, as dawn comes into play. Thanks again for making it a great session.

Sean