Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting out in Run 8

Default Starting out in Run 8

I'm a noob to Run 8 - so new that I bought the program months ago but still have not installed it. Is there a place or MP session that you can join, kind of a kindergarten, for folks like me that want to learn to run a train but don't want to wreck the session of an experienced group?

http://www.run8america.com/forum/index.php

The learning curve really isn't as steep as people make it out to be. If you are familiar with the basics of train handling and signals, you will be fine.

The only way to truly "wreck" a session is to get by a stop signal and hit another train. To avoid this, excersize some common sense.
    When you see a signal indication that is not favourable, SLOW DOWN. There is no race, and no extra kudos will be given to those that charge signals.

Feel free to come by my sessions any time. The next one I'm having is Sunday 8pm to 4am EDT. The numbers are fairly low these days so you'll get plenty of personal attention.

You can go into the forum listed above, but I would start out first at the support sections on their main website at Run8 Studios and go to the support section. You should try to install it first and follow the tutorial videos. If you have any questions feel free to ask them here or in private and I'd be glad to help.

There are plenty of great people on the forums listed, but they are going to want you to use the search to find topics before asking questions. If the search doesn't show anything I would mention it, then ask your question. But it can get a little "snarky" at times as some people like to say (I can use that term because I'm not a member of those forums). Most are nice enough though to try to help. You will always get your help here as well.

Thanks

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by TrainMan_112 View Post
    The only way to truly "wreck" a session is to get by a stop signal and hit another train.
    This would "wreck" a session only to the extent of personal embarrassment and not in any literal sense...I know from personal experience. Three times in eight months of MP, I have lost concentration and run thru a signal into a train. It takes just a few minutes to back up, when possible, and pretend it never happened. If not possible because of switch setting, then the offender deletes his train and everything is back to normal. Note that the program was designed with this type of MP error in mind, which is why you don't have the MSTS style error message ending either the session or your run.
    Last edited by flarrfan2; 04-19-2013 at 07:37 AM.

Default Help available in most sessions

I spend my Run8 time at a server that is run rather prototypically in most respects, and it can seem intimidating at first. However, I have made it my mission when possible to jump in as conductor with newbies to help them with the route and the server rules and procedures. Just in the past few weeks, I have helped a CSX track inspector with route familiarization, though he didn't need much help with procedures; and also with our first distaff engineer, a very serious young lady who is quickly proving herself to be a top-notch MP participant. Since most use TeamSpeak, it's easy to give help to newbies. I have noted issues with text-only folks trying to jump in. Even if you don't have a mic or a headset, you should at least download TS and listen to what is going on, especially if you are new to MP. And always make sure to ask if there is a DS on duty, as there generally is for at least 12 hours a day on the 24/7 server I frequent, and NEVER take charge of or spawn a train or change a signal or switch until you get permission from the DS or have advised others on a session without a DS as to your intentions.
    Last edited by flarrfan2; 04-19-2013 at 07:40 AM.

Hello Jerry,
    Each reply to your Thread are all sound ones. Mishaps happen, human nature, Honing your skills in SP (Single Player) mode
    from time to time may be something more comfy for you at this stage. Perhaps think of MP (Multi Player) mode an extension
    of that experience. Most Multiplayers session will welcome you at any stage of your RR siming career & with Run8 there's enough fail-safes
    in place you really have no need to fear the Sim it self whiles in MP. I must give a word of caution though, if for whatever reason you feel
    the need to apologize at any stage along the way. You would be well advised not to do so via Run8 Official forums, as you'll soon find yourself on the outside looking in. You may wish to refrain from doing so via Train-Sim as well, for those that are inside the Run8 bubble are both monitoring here along with the police starting to creep in with lockdowns out of spite. Any public place within the internet would be an unsafe place to make any sort of apology. While I'm sure both RTS/Run8network would allow you to both apologize & or speak your mind at any time should you ever feel the need, make no mistake, even those places the Run8 police peek in from time to time, &, would surely without a doubt put a damper on your experience with the product away from those sites. The product is a sound one, the Police Dept. is another matter, not of this world, with a nasty habit of tarnishing its own product.

Well, I installed the program. I know my way around the cab a bit, so it didn't take to long to get a train moving. It might take a bit of practice though to get the stoppng part down to where I want it. It seems the hardest part is relearning the keyboard commands, which are on the opposite end of the keyboard relative to Kuju/Auran controls. Now I think it would be wise to take some time to run some trains and familiarize myself with the subdivision before jumping into multiplay.

Be sure to go to Run8studios.com and install the cumulative 3-21 update along with the 12-26 scenery enhancement if you don't already have it. You will need the updated version AND either the free pigs and autoracks downloads or the payware pigs and racks to participate in MP.

Jerry feel free to drop into anyone of the Multiplayer sessions going on as you can find them listed in the MP forums at Run8.Sean also has sessions and never be affraid to ask a question on the Run8 forums or in a session as mentioned above a certain folks have this hatred on so make your own educated decision.
    Work Safe play hard

Funny you mention running through trains. I had a session about a month ago and someone who I knew I could trust simply must of missed a signal or two and was away from the computer. He wound up running through his stop, the siding switch, and the actual train and kept on going. I thought for sure some kind of connection was going to occur but I noticed even in switching (yes I did this too) if you go above a certain speed you go right through it.

I was going to let him know but by then it was too late and there was no harm no foul. Later on he was calling signals like nothing had happened. To this day I've kept his identity a secret as I never wanted to make him feel bad.

Human nature is that some people react differently to situations then others. If you make an apology for an honest mistake for example and you are still treated like a screw up then it's time to leave (that treatment is why you will see some people bitter - but don't confuse it with hate). I have had people make apologies to me even a warning or two if I felt they were up to no good. If you want humans to participate with you, then you have to treat them like humans (this goes for forums too). That is why those feeling nervous about screwing up, need not worry at least on my servers. I've been on many other fine servers, but if you come across a bad experience, don't let it get you down. There are many fine people out there willing to take the time to help you.

Thanks

Sean
    Last edited by SurvivorSean; 04-19-2013 at 01:29 PM. Reason: why some people are bitter