Thread: A few ideas for operations:

Default A few ideas for operations:

Are the developers planning on updating the conductors side of the locomotive with some controls for conductors? In the spot for the emergency brake on conductors side, there isn't even a lever. Horn should work on that side, along with the MFD so the conductor can monitor the speed. Now for an idea not involving the locomotives: What if there were hy-rail trucks and tasks for a signal maintainer to do put into the game?

Those ideas sound great. It seems to me that there are unlimited functions that can be added to Run8 to
    enhance the operating experience. I think they just scratched the surface.
    Interested in all Train-Sims

Programmer has expressed concerns about MFD for the conductor based on additional CPU load. And I have been in numerous sessions with track inspectors, signal maintainers and even a trainmaster with banner tests. The MFD's now include a screen for showing slow orders, work zones, etc.

I know memory is pretty tight with the NET Framework limit.

As far as things not in the core program that can be found elsewhere is switch lists, wheeler lists, and manifests generated from my 3rd part program. Samples are visible on my website in the reports section as well as the program that makes it all possible.

I was looking into adding AI & automated dispatching but it's a little out of my league at this time.

Personally I would love to see Hy-Rail trucks. The trick with them is they can't be in a position where they activate the signals. Not to mention you would want to have a control of some type in the dispatching or external dispatcher to give track warrants. This would be to me a useful application and give a new dynamic to operations that is visible to everyone who passes. You could add something where the hy-rail could find defects in the track to give him more of a purpose I suppose. Again at least he interacts with others.

I know conductors are used in some applications and it's actually much more relaxing then I thought it would be boring. Most everything can be done now with 1 person as far as lining up a yard, restoring a switch to normal etc. Personally I'd rather see more trains and/or sessions then emphasis on 2 player crews. From a participation standpoint I know it's cool to work with someone else. But from a visual standpoint more trains or interaction in the field makes it interesting for all.

Not sure what tasks a signal maintainer can do. It's kind of like when a train hit's a detector and has to go and fix it. Right now it's simply a click of the button. Most people run right to the car vs. walking. Latest upgrades even highlight the car for you instead of counting axles. Unless we get into opening up the relays and testing them with a meter or something, but at some point what is the scope of the program.

As for crews along the tracks such as foreman I don't see the point. Sure there is interaction, but unless that foreman is doing something else such as dispatching or watching the football game not sure what the point is.

Again just my personal observations. Everyone has their own opinion of course.

Thanks

Sean

I wonder if they could make it to where we could actually drive the hy-rail on and off the road, it would be handy so we could still have traffic moving, when a train comes, just go to the nearest grade crossing, and use the hydrallics to either put the truck on or off the track. Not only for signal maintainers, but for if there is a defective car, just set it out & have a Brandt truck with people from the mechanical dept. go to fix it.

Probably a little out of the scope of the simulator, but who knows. Not all the roads connect, though I know the one In Caliente runs up the mountain back over the tracks again further up.

Thanks

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdyl View Post
    Are the developers planning on updating the conductors side of the locomotive with some controls for conductors? In the spot for the emergency brake on conductors side, there isn't even a lever. Horn should work on that side, along with the MFD so the conductor can monitor the speed. Now for an idea not involving the locomotives: What if there were hy-rail trucks and tasks for a signal maintainer to do put into the game?

Having a Hi Rail is something they have on the list so your foreman has something to drive.As theirs many things yet to impliment into operations of Run8 all one can say is stand by as the lead programmer does listen to folks ideas.I'm gathering this is what your refering to for operations.
    Work Safe play hard