Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Where's the fun in Trainz now

Default Still fun

I know that Neyland is desperately trying to convince us that we should not find Trainz fun.

But, hey, only the most sour and vindictive would be unable to smile when there is something like this to play with (watch full screen and HD):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tcS--58bvQ

This whole thread:

Maybe Neyland is referring to what I have always thought of as the slight fuzzy edging on every Trainz graphic.
    I suspect this was a design "feature" of the original Trainz 1.0/CE to reflect the model railway paradigm - i.e. coloured sawdust "flock" for the terrain and Woodland Scenic trees. Unfortunately it didn't transfer across quite so well when Auran (as they were then) decided it needed to go in the direction of a full size prototype sim. It was also designed back in the day when most of us were still running pre-Geforce era graphics cards such as 3DFX on 1024 x 768 14" CRT monitors so not surprising it can look low-res on today's 20+ inch monitors in HD resolution. Combine that with the washed out look you get through many of the cab windows of the many built in locos and rolling stock which desperately needs an overhaul.

Easy boys or the thread will get locked.

@therock, just winding you up buddy.

It's everyone to their own sim of choice.

My beef is more with N3V, who consistently ignore any effort by users to convince them to change things for the better.

They have this tunnel vision (no pun intended) and anything outside that narrow outlook is ignored.

The game engine leaves a lot to be desired and it is low res by 2013 standards.

But there is more to any game than just good looks.

Which is why i prefer OR to any of the commercial flops.

Quote Originally Posted by philskene View Post
    I know that Neyland is desperately trying to convince us that we should not find Trainz fun.

But, hey, only the most sour and vindictive would be unable to smile when there is something like this to play with (watch full screen and HD):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tcS--58bvQ

No offence Phil but that sort of route and operations, do not interest me in the slightest.

I think i have said this to you in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by philskene View Post
    Sorry (well actually I'm not sorry at all) to disappoint the relentlessly negative, but I've had another little spot of fun in Trainz.

I hitched up a couple of Australian steamers to a couple of coal hoppers on the Trinity Bay route and took them for a little spin. They looked so nice I just had to make a short video (as always, best watched full screen and HD):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRnWPDtY1pc

The NSWGR 59-class 2-8-2 was actually from the Baldwin Locomotive Works, based on the USRA Light Mikado.

The SAR 400-class Beyer Garratt 4-8-2 + 2-8-4 was introduced to work the heavy mineral concentrates trains on the narrow gauge (3' 6") line between Broken Hill in New South Wales and Port Pirie in South Australia. They were designed to be gauge convertible so that at some future date, with the standardisation of the Broken Hill in prospect, they could be easily converted to standard gauge. They never were. As with all Garratts they were extremely powerful locomotives for their light axle load, with a large and free steaming boiler.

Bill Fock (Billegulla) did the mesh for both locomotives, with textures by Peter Couvee (AD602000) for the 59-class. I added spectral lighting and made the TRS2004 original models compatible with TS12 by changing cabs, sounds and enginespecs. As a unashamed fiddler this, too, was fun. They now perform as well as they look.
    These pics you mean ?

Quote Originally Posted by therock View Post
    what does this even mean? A single 5x5m ground texture can be 2048x2048 pixels in size...

Also thanks for quoting those images we literally just saw in the post three above yours, I wanted to see them again.
    Or did you mean these ?

"No offence Phil but that sort of route and operations, do not interest me in the slightest."

No offence taken, old chap (just saw "The Great Gatsby" yesterday).

But it's an heroic assumption to then leap to the conclusion that it prevents anybody else having fun.
    Last edited by philskene; 06-19-2013 at 07:11 AM.

Noooooooooooooooo Phil old bean (continuing your retro theme ).

When i post (that is when i am not just buggering about), my views are mine and mine alone.

They affect me and only me. I believe that is what forum are about, personal opinion.

Obviously i do not know you personally, so obviously i cannot think, speak or make decisions for you.

The pics you posted (nothing against the premise of the route ), everything looks low resolution.

The loco textures look terrible and like most of the UK steam locos the cab view is probably not much good either.

Even in the S&C 2009 add on the cabs are less than authentic. Which as my train game interest is 95% UK orientated, do not fill me with joy.

I had TS12 on the pc a month or so back and it left me with a complete lack of enthusiasm.

One thing i did enjoy was the series of NSW ML routes (merged) by PGibbons.

But then that experience was let down by the quality of the locos & rolling stock to run on it.

Plus as my FCT finished on the 7th of this month. I have no great desire to give N3V more of my money.

So they can churn out more of the same old rubbish, year in and year out.

This post was brought to you today by.......... "Wurzel's sensible head".

One thing i did enjoy was the series of NSW ML routes (merged) by PGibbons.
    They are quite good but like you Mike I downloaded what I thought was suitable rolling stock (a couple of Aussie DMU's) but found these took off like a rocket and even going up a 1 in 40 gradient was managing to keep moving between the throttle being off and occasional use of Notch 1. Totally unrealistic even though the route(s) were very nice.

One of the reasons why I like the Russian (and Chinese) locos as these guys really seem to have taken time and care over them, albeit N3V dumbed them down for TS12 by removing the fuel consumption ability.