Thread: The moon on the client side (default 2012?)

Default The moon on the client side (default 2012?)

A while back I had mentioned about the way the moon acts in the sim, and there is a simplified calculation that goes with certain phases etc. Bottom line it's pretty close.

Something as a host I've noticed was that the date a save takes place is defaulted to 2012. However once I set the date to 2013 everything is fine, or at least I thought.

In running a session the other night I noticed something interesting. We were talking about the moon coming up but our moon locations were completely different. I thought perhaps it was just a fluke, but it happened again last night. Now apparently the date data does pass fine over to the client, because their shift F1 indeed showed the date of the server.

However how the client shows the moon seems to default to the year 2012 (even if the date sent was 2013). Where as the server will display correctly.

Now you might ask why is this such a big deal. I generally like to keep an eye on sky conditions, and often set the dates to the same day I run the session. So I know when to expect the moon etc. Most who run in my sessions probably don't notice it.

If your wondering why the difference between years this is why. The moon will never be in the same place it was last year. The Earth travels around the sun about every 365.25 days thus why we have a leap year every 4. The moon has it's own cycle that is not in sync with our laps around the sun.

Bottom line if you stand along the ocean, to watch an event such as 4th of July, New Years Eve, etc. the tide will often be different and the moon will never be at the same place. This is also the reason why lunar and solar eclipses (though predictable) do not occur on a regular calendar year, at the same location.

Thanks

Sean

Dumb question, but are the date/time and language locales the same on the client and the server?

Reason I ask is there were some issues with ORTS multiplayer with differing language locales, and I have seen the same happen when a date format wasn't explicitly typed at both ends of the transaction. That can cause incorrect parsing, although being off by an entire year seems odd.

Yeah there is a linkage that you can force the actual time of the server to the client as an option. You also have the ability to not have this linkage so that you can run whatever.

The actual time of note is Standard Time, as there is not provision for Daylight Savings Time. So if you were to simulate DST instead of springing ahead, you would want to spring back

Thanks

Sean

the clients sync with the server time wise, now the client can override and make his client only whatever time he wants