Thread: How to enhance cab sway effect?

Question How to enhance cab sway effect?

I was wondering if anyone out there could tell me how to change all the track in a given route so that it is more uneven, therefore making the train shake more, and therefore making the experience more fun (and realistic). I've heard that this can be done in the route editor, or by editing certain files in the route, but I'm not sure where to look in either of these. Any help would be appreciated.

It's more complicated to explain what to do, than it is to actually make the changes, but here goes:

First you need to know who built the route, I'm going to use RSC BSB route as an example.

The first thing you would do is open the "Steam\SteamApps\common\railworks\Assets\Kuju\Rail SimulatorUS\RailNetwork\TrackRules" folder. ****"Note: The track file you'll be looking for will always be located in a 'TrackRules' folder" ****

Next you will need to open the "SanB_Bars_ Mainline.bin" file with either RW_Tools or the serz.exe application. Once you have the "SanB_Bars_ Mainline.bin" file open, you need to search for the <DefaultRideQuality> section.

<DefaultRideQuality>
    <Network-iTrackNetworkRideQuality-cPropertyValue>
    <LineUnevenness d:type="sFloat32" d:alt_encoding="0000000000805640" d:precision="string">20</LineUnevenness>
    </Network-iTrackNetworkRideQuality-cPropertyValue>
    </DefaultRideQuality>

Change the value in the <LineUnevenness line between the greater than and less than symbols ">20<" to a higher value for more cab sway or a lesser value for less cab sway. Then save the file and try the route.
    Last edited by Richard; 05-20-2013 at 04:37 PM.

Rich S.

It can be done in the route eitor or track blueprint. use the square select tool and drag along a distance of track you want uneven and a right flyout window opens up. theres a box for uneveness in which you type the # of how uneven u want it. start small and work your way up till you find the right # and apply that to all stretches of track u want the same.

regards

ian
    HOME OF THE SOO LINE Route, BNSF/UP SEATTLE SUBDIVISION Route, SD60F pack, Dash 8 series updates and more!

http://eyein12.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    It's more complicated to explain what to do, than it is to actually make the changes, but here goes:

First you need to know who built the route, I'm going to use RSC BSB route as an example.

The first thing you would do is open the "Steam\SteamApps\common\railworks\Assets\Kuju\Rail SimulatorUS\RailNetwork\TrackRules" folder. ****"Note: The track file you'll be looking for will always be located in a 'TrackRules' folder" ****

Next you will need to open the "SanB_Bars_ Mainline.bin" file with either RW_Tools or the serz.exe application. Once you have the "SanB_Bars_ Mainline.bin" file open, you need to search for the <DefaultRideQuality> section.

<DefaultRideQuality>
    <LineUnevenness d:type="sFloat32" d:alt_encoding="0000000000805640" drecision="string">20</LineUnevenness>
    </DefaultRideQuality>

Change the value in the <LineUnevenness line between the greater than and less than symbols ">20<" to a higher value for more cab sway or a lesser value for less cab sway. Then save the file and try the route.
    Thanks Richard, but I can't seem to find this line in the Fort Kent route's track rule file anywhere. Also, how do I open the track rule file with RW tools or serz.exe?

Just drag the bin file over the serz file and it will convert it and place it in the same location where you got the bin file from.

Quote Originally Posted by eyein91681 View Post
    It can be done in the route eitor or track blueprint. use the square select tool and drag along a distance of track you want uneven and a right flyout window opens up. theres a box for uneveness in which you type the # of how uneven u want it. start small and work your way up till you find the right # and apply that to all stretches of track u want the same.

regards

ian
    Ian, I just tried this and it seems to be working great! My only question is, so that it's easier to do this, is there a way to select all track in a given route? (This is the Fort Kent route, a branchline in which I am trying to make the track uneven).

Quote Originally Posted by PRR4435 View Post
    Thanks Richard, but I can't seem to find this line in the Fort Kent route's track rule file anywhere. Also, how do I open the track rule file with RW tools or serz.exe?
    The Fort Kent route may have been created before RSC added that option to the trackrule, I'm not 100% sure. First make a backukp of the current track rule .bin file, then open the original file and copy and paste the entire paragraph:

<DefaultRideQuality>
    <LineUnevenness d:type="sFloat32" d:alt_encoding="0000000000805640" d:precision="string">45</LineUnevenness>
    </DefaultRideQuality>

above the line that reads

"<GradientValue d:type="cDeltaString">Percent</GradientValue>"

Then save and enjoy.

To open the track rule using RW_Tools:

Start RW_Tools and select the Files menu, then select the open TS2013 file.
    Next Navigate to the track rule file, select it and choose open.
    Next Select the Search and Replace menu then select find.
    In the Find search box type GradientValue and select the Find button.
    Next add a space above the GradientValue line and insert the above paragraph.
    Next select the Files menu and select save TS2013 file.

To use serz.exe you would have to setup an association between the track rules bin files and serz.exe. If this association is already setup, all you need to do is double click on the track rule bin file and serz.exe will create a .xml file with the same name as the .bin file. You then would open the .xml file with the text editor of your choice and edit the file as in the same method above. One you have edited the .xml file and saved, double click on the .xml file and serz.exe create a updated .bin file.

If the association is not setup on your computer, you'll have to right click on a .bin file then choose the "Open" or "Open with" menu option and choose the select to use a program installed on your computer. When the next window opens, if serz.exe is not in the list, you're have to browse for the serz.exe, it's found in the "Steam\SteamApps\common\railworks" folder. Once you have the serz.exe file selected, make sure you select the box "Always use the selected program...." and click OK.
    Last edited by Richard; 05-21-2013 at 08:45 AM.

Rich S.