Thread: Anyone Else Running Run 8 at 1920x1080?

Default Anyone Else Running Run 8 at 1920x1080?

Hi everyone.

I've been fighting this issue since Run 8 came out. I'm running at 1920x1080 and the moire is intolerable. The XNA deferred rendering locks down any hope I have of improving the image quality in nVidia Inspector. It is so bad, I can barely stand to launch the sim. I hardly ever play it because of it.

Now, I was running an ATI 6990 and recently ripped it out of my PC and installed a nVidia GTX Titan hoping that nVidia would help resolve the issue. No joy! It's still ridiculously bad. The Titan did improve image quality and performance in all my other trains sims though. Sadly, not in Run 8.

I haven't seen any other screenshots that are comparable. This is not a driver issue or a hardware issue unless it has something to do with my HDTV. But, none of my other games have this issue. Even OpenRails that runs on XNA is crisp and responds to my configuration changes in nVidia Inspector.

Anone else have any luck running Run 8 on a big screen HDTV (46") at 1920x1080 with out the jaggies, shimmering and moire that may be able to give me some pointers or their nVidia Inspector config? The shimmering and moire irks the heck out of me. Especially with how much power I have in my PC. I shouldn't be seeing this but I am at wits end trying to get rid of it. Nothing works.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by woody; 05-24-2013 at 12:17 AM.

I run that resolution on a 60 inch HDTV and don't have issues.

I'm trying to understand what your issue is as I read it but am not sure. Perhaps you should try posting a screen shot. I run from a mid level video card and have a fairly decent but certainly not top of the line system.

The only issues I ever experience is probably memory related with .net or something when I go out of the program and try running a web browser etc. When I go back in I have to F10 refresh which is not a big deal. A few open cracks in the scenery here and there but that is also normal and reported elsewhere.

I lock the frame rates at 30 FPS and the system runs just fine. For me trying to lock higher is asking for trouble at least for my system. I know I need a reboot after hours of running a server when I can't maintain 30. But everything for me looks smooth and runs nice.

Thanks

Sean

A lot of points here.... At least in my rig:

The moiré:
    At least looking to the tracks, in other train games (I don't have ORTS, though) is worse than in Run8. The opposite when looking to the side of some cars (maybe due to the lower polys count in Run8). I always had problem with moiré but it doesn't bother me in Run8, especially because I mostly drive in cab, where the moiré is less noticeable. If you are railfanning instead, I mean driving mostly out of cab, expect to see more, much more of moiré effect (anyway Run8 is not a game meant for railfanning, so it's not a good option if your main goal is variety of assets, routes and vehicles).

HDTV:
    A lot of variety: LCD, Plasma, 760p, 1080p etc. What is yours? I rather play Run8 in my 21' LCD Monitor (1920x1080) than in my 32' LCD HDTV (720p), the final result in the Monitor is far better than in the HDTV, at least for me.

I never had problems with Run8, with my rig, since the first day. Due to its quite simple visual (not focused on diversity of fleet or details around the tracks) I usually can get average 90 fps (in TS2013 with max settings about 20-25 fps, if not worse, in most of routes, with same rig) so Run8 is very fps friendly with medium/low rigs. Anyway I use to play Run8 locked at 30 fps. And also: V-Sync checked in game, tripple buffering in NVidia control tool; it works far better with my especific NVidia card, once it gets rid of the "tearing" effect on my rig.

Cheers,
    Doc.

i7 2600K CPU @ 3.4 GHz (8 CPUs) - 8GB RAM 667MHz - NVidia GeForce GTX 460 1MB - 21' Monitor (1920x1080) - Auzentech X-Fi Forte 5.1 - RailDriver
    Last edited by MachinistBrazil; 05-24-2013 at 01:33 AM.

I got moire on the track directly in front of the loco when moving. Didn't matter if I was using my new Dell monitor (which MSTS looks stunning on) or a larger Samsung HDTV. No ATI settings made it better so I am using the Samsung because the size makes the experience more realistic. The moire was annoying at first but I quickly got used to it probably because in Run8 I'm always in the cab unless I have reason to be on the ground. Other than the moire and the blurry track bed while in motion, the rest of the scenery feels like Teh and I especially like the transition from ballast to ground and the detail at crossings. I wish the signal indications were brighter, however. Straight on, they should be clearly visible at a much longer distance than in the simulator.

Brad

In the cab is horrid for me. Fences, gantries, etc. all shimmer to the point it is distracting. Outside the cab, the locos shimmer, the ribs on the intermodal containers, anything with a hard edge just shimmers away. Uggggghh! This is NOT flashing. It is Antialiasing and Anisotropic filtering related. I really wish the devs would give us control of our hardware. It is keeping me from buying any more add-ons. I can't stand it. I had better graphics at 640x480 back in the day. It's that bad. It's a shame because it is a great sim and I like it.

Screenies don't show how distracting it truly is. When in motion, it is pretty bad.

I'm trying to figure out how to downsample. I've got 2560 x 1440 custom resolution setup but Run8 detects my monitor and forces 1920x1080 with no option to change it. For God's sake, PLEASE let us run the software the way we see fit. Locking us out of options to resolve issues like this makes customers unhappy. I know I am. I have a $1,000 video card that may as well be a brick.

I'm running a 46" Samsung LCD HDTV. Once again, none of my other software titles do this. It just happens to be Run 8, the one I want to run the most, which does not run the best unfortunately.
    Last edited by woody; 05-24-2013 at 02:15 PM.

OK I think I know what you are talking about. I see very modest shimmering that really doesn't bother me to the point it is very unnoticeable. I guess it works fine for my system. I never really needed a graphics card for anything else and I agree with the post that it's an improvement over MSTS. We already know that some other programs are better graphics wise. Even switching while standing on the outside I don't notice anything that bothers me.

Thanks

Sean

Woody,

I am running at 2560/1600 @ 60 Hertz on and nVidia GTX690. I too had some issues with displaying of Run8 and was running nVidia Inspector. Here is how I resolved most of the issues:

1. Unfortunately do not use nVidia Inspector with Run8. Delete the profile and let XNA handle the graphics. Inspector would directly conflict with Run8's display...moire, etc.
    2. In the nVidia Control Panel, do not use a profile either and use all default settings.
    3. Run your monitor at it's highest native settings. For my NEC PA301W, that is 2560x1600 True Color (32 bit) @ 60 hertz....16:10. Your monitor at1920x1080 is 16:9...can you go with 1920x1200?
    4. in the F-1 box, I do not use light bloom, but I do use anti-aliasing. I also set the frame-rate to unlimited and I select V-Sync which ties the display refresh rate of the card to the native refresh rate of the monitor.

I realize this requires a few compromises. These are the things that I did to get the best display within the limitations of XNA and it's implementation of DirectX.

I have talked to John G about XNA and DirectX. I can assure you that he is in contact with people much smarter about DirectX than almost all of us....Run8 is strictly home-grown but does have great potential to have its graphical abilities improved. Right now the main focus is on the core: physics and train operation.....but graphics are always being considered by the team.
    Mark Fox

also you might try connecting the TV as a projector - i had to do that with my HDMI cable