Thread: Lost in run8 world

Cool Lost in run8 world

I am trying to understand and work with this program but I am missing alot of basic info. I was worked with Microsoft Train Simulator program for many years and was able to customize trains, activities etc. I found this program quite challenging at first but I have many questions. First I thought I had registered but now I am not so sure. I watched the video but see no way on the dashboard for Run8 to register the option is not there. Ok next on the Select route/train there are many options which say extra board ____ when I select one of them there is no train, what do I do with them? What do the selections sessions differ from the other selections? And how do I find out if I have registered or not and if I haven't how do I???? How can I have multi trains if I am playing by myself? I am lost!!!! I can run the train I select but it gets boring just riding along and the car spawners crossing the track going straight through the train is there nothing I can do to correct this. I know in Microsoft Train Sim they had a similar problem but we could adjust them and they would stay at the crossings until the train moved. I know they have accidents and cars are hit but I have never seen a car go through a train and continue on without some consequences.
    teacherpatsci

Quote Originally Posted by bctrainwatcher View Post
    Ok next on the Select route/train there are many options which say extra board ____ when I select one of them there is no train, what do I do with them?
    The "extraboard" saved games have no trains in them. They are there so that you can enter the 3D world without spawning a train, for example if you are about to join a multiplayer server.
    What do the selections sessions differ from the other selections?
    Sessions have more than one train.
    And how do I find out if I have registered or not and if I haven't how do I????
    If you haven't registered yet there will be an option in the Shift-F1 menu to enter your registration key
    How can I have multi trains if I am playing by myself?
    You can spawn as many trains into the world as you want, but is no AI, so in single player the only train that will be moving is the one you are in control of.
    the car spawners crossing the track going straight through the train is there nothing I can do to correct this.
    Not unless you are on the run 8 team!

Actually there is a way you can correct that, and that is update the software (your on an older version) if you see any cars.

Latest version attempted to add or correct the car spawning but something got corrupted so they removed it temporarily. I believe that is something they are working on in a future update.

Thanks

Sean

There is no AI in Run8 at this time and I'm not sure if or when there ever will be. The creators of Run8 designed it with multiplayer in mind. It is good to be able to practice various things in single player mode but the sim really shines in multiplayer. I recommend the DAMS server http://www.cmoo.com/dams/index.php as it seems to be the most popular at the moment and there are usually plenty of other trains running. It is a lot more fun to have other traffic being generated by other real players that you can interact with. There are also some planned more prototypical sessions on Seans RTS site http://railroadtransportationsimulator.webs.com/ and the VirtuRail Sim site http://www.virturailsim.com/. Most of these servers and sessions have lots of folks more than willing to help out. You should also be able to just ride along with someone to see how things work or if you just don't have a lot of time to stay in the session.

Welcome to Run8, hope to see you out there some time.
    Doug B.
    Eugene, Oregon, USA - Pacific Standard Time ( - 8:00 UTC )
    3.4 ghz Intel i7-3770 quad core processor, 8 gigs RAM, 2 gig AMD Radeon HD 7850

A tremendous amount of information was lost when the original Run8 forum went off-line. Before it did, I gathered (thinks: stole) much of it for my own use; you can download a copy at http://168.156.125.36/run8.html. I make it available not to claim ownership, but just to share some of the work of others which might otherwise be lost.

dcshoe, i have server space available to host any help docs you want to host if needed

How do you spawn a train into the world?? Can you make consists?

How do you spawn a train into the world??
    Shift F1, spawn tab

Can you make consists?
    I prefer to do it the real world way, switching in a yard. You can spawn several trains in a yard and then switch them around to make a new train, which you can save on the spawn tab and which then appear in the spawn list the next time you start Run8. There is also a new thing called the TrainMakerUpper, ctrl F1, I think, which has proven difficult to use but when mastered functions as a consist creation tool. There is more discussion of the best ways to use it on the DAMS forum, where most of the help and support for Run8 has moved since the end of the Run8America forums. http://www.cmoo.com/dams/index.php

Here is a link to the DAMS forum (not trying to promote one forum over another, sorry Trainsim.com) for the most successful way I have seen to use the TMU (consist builder) in Run8

http://www.cmoo.com/dams/viewtopic.p...er+upper#p1363

The screen shots really help you to know where to be. Using that position, I have had very little trouble placing a train. I still recommend placing them in a yard on straight track but it is possible to do so elsewhere. When trying to place a train, take notice in the upper left corner of your screen if you get a message about no track node found. If you get no message, then your train has spawned somewhere in the Run8 world. If you do not see it, go into free flight mode (shift+F12) and search high and low, maybe even underground to find where your train went. If it spawns too far from the tracks, it will explode (delete) when you try to select it and you will have to find another location to place it. If you cannot find it, go to the CTC screen and look for where it is being tracked by the CTC system to make sure it is there somewhere. It is possible they will spawn miles away.

Good luck and I hope this works for you.
    Doug B.
    Eugene, Oregon, USA - Pacific Standard Time ( - 8:00 UTC )
    3.4 ghz Intel i7-3770 quad core processor, 8 gigs RAM, 2 gig AMD Radeon HD 7850