Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hot Box, Stop your train

Default Hot Box, Stop your train

I just got an alert over the detector that I've got a hot box and to stop my train. What should I do? Do I have to check something?

Pay attention to which axle is reported. Count the number of axles back that the car should be, keeping in mind that you need to count the axles on the locomotive.

In real life, the car would likely be set off at the earliest convenience. However, in Run8, you can click on the car and un-tick the "Hot box" checkbox.
    Nick - Creator of the Virtual Railroading Review Show

Also... CTRL+F8 shows up the Car Tags so you can see cars numbers in yellow. Car with deffective axle (hot box, dragging equipment, hot wheel) has an orange tag.

Quote Originally Posted by MachinistBrazil View Post
    Also... CTRL+F8 shows up the Car Tags so you can see cars numbers in yellow. Car with deffective axle (hot box, dragging equipment, hot wheel) has an orange tag.
    Doc, I'm betting that you don't use the tag trick. While I have been known to shift or even control+W to count cars, I have yet to use the tags for a defect...just too unrealistically easy, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by flarrfan2 View Post
    Doc, I'm betting that you don't use the tag trick.
    Never!

While I have been known to shift or even control+W to count cars
    When checking (fixing) a deffect I never use CTRL, sometimes (down the hill, only) I use SHIFT, but mostly only WASD. For those with RailDriver you can hit F1 and then the Pad rocker to walk, it locks the walking speed thingy so all you need to do is control the direction with the mouse (ie no need of keeping pressed WASD while walking).

I have yet to use the tags for a defect...just too unrealistically easy, IMO.
    Yeah, unrealistic... like DS asking you to re-align (by flying in the air) a hand switich behind after you've left a yard (say Mojave Northbound). Once I was asked to do that, then I stopped the train and started to walk, 15 minutes later DS asked why I was stopped and blocking the Main, I said him I was following his order and even had reached 1/3 of train lenght, he voided and changed the switch himself... 15 minutes later (of course) I was back in cab and moving on again...
    I am bad! when it comes to simulation! LOL Don't want to be following me when I get a deffect, especially if is a "confirmed" hot box (it means 5 MPH till next available siding plus the set car out thingy), I am usually a nightmare for newbies and impatients in MP sessions...

Cheers,
    Doc.
    Last edited by MachinistBrazil; 06-04-2013 at 08:59 AM.

Never!

When checking (fixing) a deffect I never use CTRL, sometimes (down the hill, only) I use SHIFT, but mostly only WASD. For those with RailDriver you can hit F1 and then the Pad rocker to walk, it locks the walking speed thingy so all you need to do is control the direction with the mouse (ie no need of keeping pressed WASD while walking).

Yeah, unrealistic... like DS asking you to re-align (by flying in the air) a hand switich behind after you've left a yard (say Mojave Northbound). Once I was asked to do that, then I stopped the train and started to walk, 15 minutes later DS asked why I was stopped and blocking the Main, I said him I was following his order and even had reached 1/3 of train lenght, he voided and changed the switch himself... 15 minutes later (of course) I was back in cab and moving on again...
    I am bad! when it comes to simulation! LOL Don't want to be following me when I get a deffect, especially if is a "confirmed" hot box (it means 5 MPH till next available siding plus the set car out thingy), I am usually a nightmare for newbies and impatients in MP sessions...

Cheers,
    Doc.
    Doc,

I run just like you. Rarely will I fly back to align a switch. I stop, walk back, throw it, walk back to cab, and proceed. And the last time I had a DE alert, I stopped at Edison, walked back, and took about 30 mins. DS kept asking me when I was going to move. I said when all was done, we would move. No car tags for me either.

Rob

Yeah I'm guilty of flying to fix a defect only because I find they happen too often. In a busy session there is also enough unrealistic congestion and other issues (more than typical) that I try to balance it out and keep on going. But it's perfectly acceptable I think to do that for a defect.

As for the yards keep in mind under most situations a mainline train leaving a yard would have someone at the switch to restore to normal. Even the busiest sessions will never have enough people helping out in a yard (utility conductors). However if your in a train like Edison Local for example restoring Edison back to normal after switching then adding the realism is a nice touch. In fact a switcher will often come back down the main while the conductor walks back towards the head end after locking and lining.

I've also started a practice unlike the busy sessions where there is over congestion (more than prototype) compared to my sessions which is too open (less than prototype). The idea is still the same between sessions where I save and continue next session where I left off, but with a twist.

The twist is those who want to run a yard in single player between sessions has the opportunity of doing so. In actuality this means they are running a yard where it's time has already past in a session. But they theory behind it is there are more people who would have run those trains already in real life.

The moral of the story, as prototypical as I like to be sometimes a little cheating actually makes sense.

Thanks

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by SurvivorSean View Post
    sometimes a little cheating actually makes sense.
    Or, as I would say, sometimes a few short cuts actually make simulation sense.

Quote Originally Posted by flarrfan2 View Post
    Originally Posted by SurvivorSean

sometimes a little cheating actually makes sense.
    Or, as I would say, sometimes a few short cuts actually make simulation sense.
    Yeah, for sure! I use to Start each engine and MU them manually at the begining of my participation in a session, but if further session fails for any reason (internet connection, server break down, my pc issues etc.) and therefore for some reason I have to restart/reset the train all over again (take the train again, restart and MU all engines, reset lead DPUs, replace EOT etc.) in these cases I have to cheat using Auto Start/MU all locomotives, fly to DPUs sets and/or rear of train etc.

I know this is an old thread, but I just purchased Run8 and had the notification of a defective axle. My tag colors were different. Orange showed a partial load, red full wt load, and green empty. My hot box came up as pink instead of yellow. Most likely something in the update of the program since Jun 2013. Then again, maybe different types of carriers have different colors. These were all tanks.