Thread: Humping

Default Humping

I've probably missed something, but I have two questions. First, while I think I've been over most of the track, I haven't found a hump yard or anything that might be used as such. Did I miss it?

Second, with manual coupling gone, can a hump even be done? I've tried to push a string of cars that were initially uncoupled (I went down the line and uncoupled them) and when I shoved with the locomotive they coupled again, which defeats the purpose.

Am I looking for something that isn't there yet?

First, there is no "official" functional "hump yard", yet.

Second, the manual coupling (IIRC) was a feature to manualy couple cars (in curves) to run around some initial no-coupling issues (in curves) in earlier versions of Run8. I mean, even though if you had left couplers opened, the cars would be able to hook each other. In other words (hard to explain in English for me) the game had never a feature to not couple if couplers were opened (as far as I remember).

Third, the auto brake stuff for loose consists is a feature meant especially (but no only) for safety purposes in a MP network, so it always simulates you have left angle cocks opened when (before) you are setting cars out, to avoid the runaway thingy.

Fourth, that said... there is a way (as Sean would say, a cheat) to simulate the hump effect (cars rolling down grades under your control, to your like) even with loose consists (no engine attached), but this is a thingy that I won't dare to reveal or teach. Don't take me wrong, I just woke up (my mind is still asleep) and right now I'm not sure if I should talk about it, or not, cuz this could be used unduly by some kind of people not always well intentioned, or even accidentaly, during a MP session. Again, don't take me wrong, I know you from the old times (for me) of RWA Forum, so I'm sure you are a good guy, but not all the people reading here are. Let me think about...

Cheers,
    Doc.
    Last edited by MachinistBrazil; 06-05-2013 at 02:13 PM.

Good point. I hadn't considered the potential for harm. I'll defer to your judgement on this, but you've encouraged me to take another look at the question, and keep quiet about what I find out.

IRL, there is a hump yard in barstow. Its just south of the departure yards, just just east of the arrival yards, take a look on google earth.
    You can see some ballast texture in game of where it was... well may have been put. Anyhow that's the thing with Run8 they leave ya wanting...I feel like a junkie who wants just one more fix! Kudos to the devs. I must admit I would like to see a bit more detail in barstow myself.
    Like a kid on x-mas morning waiting to see whats under the tree, I check to see if there's a scenery upgrade or if the reefer /sd-45s are out.