Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need help

Default I need help

What is the file name for Consist editor in MSTS?

Quote Originally Posted by 11railfan View Post
    What is the file name for Consist editor in MSTS?
    It is not a separate file. It is accessed via the Editor. Use a shortcut where the target is XXXX\train -runeditor Where XXX is the path to MSTS. Once MSTS Editor and Tools opens, select Activity Editor. From Menu choose File then New. Then Select a route to Edit. Click OK on New Activity dialog. Then under the Player Service section click on the New button. This opens the Service Editor. Now click under Consist in the middle of the Service Editor chose the Consist to edit or click the New button to create a new consist. If that is too confusing or time consuming to do then get ConBuilder from www.conbuilder.com
    Charles

Sorry to correct you, Charles, but below is what the Desktop Shortcut for running the MSTS editors should look like, the path shown being it's default one.

There is a reason for doing it that way, allowing such Target: lines to work in any copy of MSTS !

O t t o

Yes Otto that is correct. Runeditor is the parameter used when you call the editor thru Launcher.exe rather than Train.exe As in C:\MSTS\Launcher.exe -runeditor
    Charles

There are also nice free consist editors available in the RouteRiter program (available in the trainsim.com file library, I think) and the new Yardmaster program (available in the trainsim.com file library).
    They are seperate programs you have to download that run seperately from msts, as is also true for conbuilder.
    Christopher

Smile

I think any of the 3rd party consist editor builders are much easier than the one that comes with the MSTS editors. YardMaster, Conbuilder, Route Riter are all much better. I've never used the Route Riter consist builder. YardMaster has the ability to catalog all your rolling stock and quickly build consists with great detail or completely randomness. (OK, I'm partial to YardMaster since I wrote it )
    Mike
    Proud Supporter of OR
    Creator of YardMaster
    "Thanks for using YardMaster"

Quote Originally Posted by mikephfl View Post
    YardMaster has the ability to catalog all your rolling stock and quickly build consists with great detail or completely randomness. (OK, I'm partial to YardMaster since I wrote it )
    Can your Yardmaster show images of all the rolling stock like the Conbuilder can, having created them globally with the Route Riter ?

O t t o

The advantages of the consist editors in Conbuilder and Route Riter is that they work with rolling stock from all over the world, whereas Yardmaster is optimised towards U.S. rolling stock. If that is what you want to work with, though, then Yardmaster is excellent.

Jorgen

I echo what all has been said above...just about ANY consist builder is better than the one included with MSTS..I prefer Conbuilder....just my personal preference and I've been using it since the day it was released. Charles and Joe have done a great job in keeping it up to date and in support issues......Another fine consist builder not mentioned above is Convoi...but they are all good. And with all of the mentioned editors, the learning curve is much easier to master than the "stock" MSTS editor.
    I'm like an old SD9; It Growls, Howls & squeaks...but it will run forever!

I am hesitant to recommend Convoi for several reasons. First, the version I downloaded at one time, I believe v. 1.5.0, was in French only, which might be a problem for some. Second, for Convoi to show images of the rolling stock you have to provide thumbnails images of the stock. And, for my 64-bit Windows 8 installation, I had to install and register 4 .DLLs, which is not exactly for a beginner.

Otto, I have Conbuilder v. 1.7.1. Will that be able to display images as yours does, and if so, how do you make Route Riter generate those images?

Thanks in advance -

Jorgen