Thread: Milwaukee Road "GAP"

Smile Milwaukee Road "GAP"

Colleagues,

Detailing has progressed to the east end of Lind, WA with about 30 miles to go to Othello. After that,
    however, I will add such things as flange oilers, etc. as well as track connected items and vehical
    spawners, grade crossing signals etc., so there is a ways to go yet. This image is of the Olympian
    Hiawatha with leased NP power crossing a rather famous structure just west of downtown Lind, WA.
    I've seen probably 50 or more images of trains taken on this structure, which, alas, has been
    dismantled and only the foundations, concrete piers, and end abutments remain.

J. H. Sullivan
    (aka landnrailroader)or9_oh_Lind_wa.jpg

Will this route be electrified or not?

Quote Originally Posted by mipman25 View Post
    Will this route be electrified or not?
    The "GAP" between the two electrified districts was not electrified.

To be more specific, well, yes and no. I reused Avery, from the RMD-4 and soon to be released RMD-West, as well as about
    10 miles of the St.Paul Pass Line. Simon Van de Laak provided Othello from his Coast Div. 1st Sub. which is under
    construction. So the Gap is electrified at the extreme ends. Electrification ends at the west switch of Avery (as it did in the
    prototype) and likewise picks up at the east switch of Othello. To add some interest, the UP line from just east of
    Chatcolet lake over the swing bridge and up Plummer Creek canyon to Plummer, and from there to Tekoa is included
    and can be operated. There is an interchange at Plummer Jct. All other rail lines are snippets from where they intersect
    (and in all cases go over or under, the Milwaukee Rd.) to perhaps a mile either way. The Gap itself is about 220 miles
    in length with considerable variation in terrain and necessary details, from mountains & forests to near desert and
    miles of wheat fields. Lind Coulee is the reason for the bridge seen. The town of Lind was served by NP and the
    Milwaukee Rd. and is still served by BNSF. In the image, you are looking railroad west on both lines, with the NP
    just starting up Providence Hill, I believe it is called. The Gap has been under construction most of two years and there
    are several posts about it in the route design forum.

Simon has the Coast Div. 1st sub., which is fully electrified except of course for the NP line that parallels most of it,
    and I have the Coast Div. 2nd sub., which is also electrified. Track is done on it, but there is a lot of stuff involved
    and I included the switchbacks on Stampede Pass and the original Milwaukee line through Franconia at Snoqualmie
    pass.

J. H. Sullivan
    (aka landnrailroader)

I'm drooling......what with RMD-West in the pipeline and now JHS's "Gap", this is just too much!

Bruce
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

I would hope that the OR team goes ahead with doing an editor. One of the problems I have is the shakiness of the editor, which I share with everyone else that uses it. When I am just laying track/roads, I back up to a flash drive every time I am in the route, and burn a CD or DVD of the route every couple of weeks. Once the track/roads is done, I back up weekly to a dVD, so I have a large collection of them now. I don't like to mess with registry settings etc., so I keep my system on desired setting of screen resolution etc., and wind up working in a 6" square window on a 21" monitor. However it is getting done and I have started detailing Lind, even as I approach it from the east. There is only one more major town, Warden, and the track goes right through the middle of it, on essentially a long curve (actually tangent a ways in the middle) in which the direction changes almost 90 degrees. This is also the only place another railroad will connect. The former NP Connelle branch crossed over the Milwaukee just west of town but had a connecting track in the town. This connection is now used so trains can get to Othello, which I believe is the current end of track, although it may continue west to the Royal Slope branch, which is part of Simon's contribution.

J. H. Sullivan
    (landnrailroader)

Quote Originally Posted by dcarleton View Post
    The "GAP" between the two electrified districts was not electrified.
    Maybe that's why the call it the Gap.

mipman25 is actually correct. It was called the "gap" because it was a "gap" in the electrification. The idea was that the worst
    mountain areas would be covered first, and then the gap would be filled in, but by the time the line over the Cascades was
    electrified, the Milwaukee was in the midst of it's first bankruptcy, so the gap was never filled. In the historical records there
    are plans for where the additional substations would have been placed. I believe Tekoa was one such spot.

Another point is that the "Gap" only had freight service between Plummer and Marengo after about 1914. I suppose there may
    have been some sort of a local, and we do know that troop trains during WW-II often took the direct Marengo-Plummer route,
    but the scheduled trains, the Olympian and others, deviated onto the UP at Marengo and went by trackage rights over it to
    Spokane, and then returned to their own rails at Manetoe, about 1/2 way between Spokane and Plummer. I did consider
    doing that route as part of the "GAP" but it is taking longer to do it than I had hoped so I'll be glad to allow someone else
    to add the Spokane route if they wish later. For more historical information do a search on my "Gap" posts on the route design
    forum.

J. H. Sullivan
    (landnrailroader)

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    I'm drooling......what with RMD-West in the pipeline and now JHS's "Gap", this is just too much!

Bruce
    yea, it sure is. many thanks to everybody who has brought the great Milwaukee Road to msts........

For me it is a labor of love and curiosity. As a small boy of 7, my mother & grandmother, and me, rode the Milwaukee Rd.
    from Chicago out to Spencer, IA to see my Aunt, mother's sister. A few more times between then and 1959 I rode the
    train, but the 1946 trip was the only one that still had sleepers. I believe the cars were Pullman green then, but do not
    remember for sure. However in 1954, 1956, and 1959 the coach was orange/maroon in color and I thought that was
    pretty neat compared to the royal blue of the L&N, my "home" road. Then, after subscribing to TRAINS in 1953, I
    read many articles and saw many pictures of the Pacific Extension. After doing the KP and BR subs in MSTS, I decided
    to systematically recreate the Milwaukee from Harlowton to SeaTac with help from whoever wished to do so. Simon Van
    de Laak in Holland is working on the first sub. of the Coast Division and I have done the track for the 2nd Sub. After I
    do the "GAP" I plan to simultaneously work on the 2nd Sub. and either the EK or Big Sandy lines of CSX. I've digitized
    several routes, several more than I am likely to complete. As you know, it takes a long time to detail and fluff out a route
    although the track goes in quickly. I am willing to do the track/roads & bridges for any of my digitized routes and then let
    someone else fluff them out. If I could do this with the 5 or 6 that I have digitized we would have quite a variety of
    "areas to play with". The EK would include all of the coal branches east of Jackson, KY as well as the Riney-B and the
    Lexington & Eastern for historical interest. The Big Sandy, would include all of the known branches off of it, with the
    various tipples, loadouts, etc. The Chattanooga would include the Sparta, Shelbyville, Tracy City, Sequatchie Valley,
    and Huntsville Branches, with the Sparta extending to the coal mines at Clifty and Ravenscroft. I am hopeful that a more
    stable editor will come out of the OR group. Much of the long lead times come with the vagaries of the RE in MSTS and the
    requirement to do many backups. When laying track on the GAP, I backed up, every time I was in it. During the detailing
    I backup at least once a week, in full, to a DVD.

J. H. Sullivan
    (aka landnrailroader)