Thread: One without the other, or not?

Default One without the other, or not?

Do I need to buy the Mojave sub before I can run the Needles sub?

regards Tom

Yep, Mojave is the core program.

Thanks

Sean

Yeah, you need Mojave to run Needles. This is why there is the called "Default Run8 Platform" with all commom assets/stuffs for any route (for example: all the rail vehicles); and also there are the routes themselves with their own (sometimes exclusive) assets. The first release of "Run 8 Train Simulator" came with the game itself (the called Default Platform) and also a route: Mojave (with its own assets). Recently came another route: Needles (with its own assets).

Cheers,
    Doc.
    Last edited by MachinistBrazil; 06-25-2013 at 12:49 AM.

Like Doc said, yes, the Mojave sub is the actual sim program itself with the Needles sub being an addon route. You will need the Mojave sub, the updates that you can get from the Run8 update page (http://www.run8studios.com/updates_dlc.shtml) including all of the default addon updates, unless you buy the payware, for the autoracks, piggy backs and Amtrak etc. Make sure you note the dates each one is available and install them in that order or you may have problems running the sim.
    Doug B.
    Eugene, Oregon, USA - Pacific Standard Time ( - 8:00 UTC )
    3.4 ghz Intel i7-3770 quad core processor, 8 gigs RAM, 2 gig AMD Radeon HD 7850

Thank you for your replies. That cleared that up.

Doug. If I were to buy the Mojave sub after those updates came out, wouldn't those updates be incorporated into the programme?

regards Tom

The updates on Run8 are a bit confusing at times, more than once was released an update of the update with same version name/date, and also sometimes there is a subtil difference between upgrade (usually related to new scenery, and small or urgent fixes) and update (it usually, but not always, incorporate previous updgrades, and sometimes changes in the core code). As per Run8 website:
    NEW: 06.11.2013 Update - This is a Run8 Train Simulator program and scenery upgrade for the Mojave Sub that adds allot of cool assets and new features to the program that our customers suggested. This upgrade replaces all past upgrades that came out after the 11.17.2012 upgrade. To download the 19.8 MB Upgrade.

It looks like if you are going to buy the game now it is (should be) fully updated (that's what makes sense). Anyway check the release version in the startup screen, when you launch the game, and you have to see: 06.11.2013, but this doesn't guarantee that you are really updated up to date (sorry the pun).

So... after that, and out of caution, download and install only the latest "NEW: BNSF Needles Sub Scenery Update 06.17.2013". In the startup screen you'll still see 06.11.2013 which is confusing, unfortunately, like I said before.

Cheers,
    Doc.
    Last edited by MachinistBrazil; 06-25-2013 at 10:05 AM.

I think that makes sense Doc. Thanks.

regards Tom
    Last edited by TGM; 07-07-2013 at 07:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TGM View Post
    Thank you for your replies. That cleared that up.

Doug. If I were to buy the Mojave sub after those updates came out, wouldn't those updates be incorporated into the programme?

regards Tom
    You have to read the update page on the Run8 web site. It is kind of confusing as they do include updates into the purchased program from time to time but not always for the most recent updates. If you purchase now, you will still need the addon updates for the Autoracks, Piggybacks and Amtrak, plus the 6.11.2013 and 6.17.2013 updates. The scenery update 12.26.2012 is optional but I would install it first if you are going to. If you are going to purchase and install the payware for the Autoracks, Piggybacks and/or Amtrak, you do not need the update for them. The default updates for those are just, if you don't have the payware, so you can see a basic version of them if you are in a multiplayer session with someone else who has them and is running them. I know this is a confusing area and I hope I have helped a bit. If I am still confusing you, I will try to spend more time explaining later. I need to get off to work now, not much time to elaborate.

Run8 is worth the $40 to have it. The scenery is nothing special and the Mojave and Needles subs being mostly in the desert are pretty sparse of scenery anyway, but the train detail and operational aspects are spot on and very challenging. Starting a 10,000+ ton train with multiple DPU's in the uphill direction between Ilmon and Tehachapi without breaking your train is not an easy thing to do. This, and multiplayer is where Run8 really shines. You will not be disappointed.
    Doug B.
    Eugene, Oregon, USA - Pacific Standard Time ( - 8:00 UTC )
    3.4 ghz Intel i7-3770 quad core processor, 8 gigs RAM, 2 gig AMD Radeon HD 7850

Quote Originally Posted by dab1068 View Post
    Run8 is worth the $40 to have it.
    This is my formula (since ever) to evaluate when any thing is worth it: invested $ per hour of use. So far I've already played Run8 (only Mojave route, but including the payware autoracks and piggies) almost 1,400 hours, so it means $0.04 cents/hour. As more you effectively use, as cheaper, that simple! I didn't play yet Needles or Amtrak set, anyway the final result (including them, just in case) is $0.08 cents/hour. So it was and still is worth it! My 2 cents.
    Cheers,
    Doc.
    Last edited by MachinistBrazil; 06-26-2013 at 02:16 PM.