Thread: Extend Cleared Signal Circuits?

Question Extend Cleared Signal Circuits?

Hi all,

I am a relative newby to OR, but I think I've got it figured out pretty well. I'm currently running a session on a signaled route (the route is not available to the public), and there seems to be a slight problem with the signalling in Auto Mode.

It seems as though signals will ONLY clear ahead one block if the next signal is an absolute and two blocks if the next signal is an intermediate. Therefore, I am never running on a clear signal, even if the track ahead is unoccupied.

For example, I am running north on single track, approaching a siding. The intermediate before the south end of the siding displays advanced approach. Upon arrival at the absolute signal at the south end, I pass - as you would expect - an approach indication. As soon as I pass that signal though, the signal at the north end of the siding clears, but only to the second intermediate north of the siding. And again, I run on advanced approach signals all the way to the next absolute signal.

Therefore, I have two questions:

1. Is there a way to extend the number of track/signal circuits that OR will clear you to?
    2. Assuming you're on a long stretch of single track and you are only cleared part-way down that stretch, will the Deadlock Processing "trap" not be triggered for trains coming the opposite direction?

-Thanks in advance for any help,
    Evan

1) How far ahead signals are cleared is determined using the "SignalNumClearAhead" value in the sigcfg.dat file.
    This number indicates the number of normal signal heads cleared ahead (so not signals : clearly, some signals have multiple heads). This is more or less similar as in MSTS.
    If the signals do not clear far enough, it is likely this value is set too low.

2) Deadlock prevention works on the train paths, it determines where trains can pass. As soon as a train enters a single-track section, the traps at the other end are set, regardless of the clearance along that single-track section.
    Exception to this is only if the train has a waiting point or reversal point along that single track section, as in that case the path terminates at that particular point, so there is no restriction for the train on the opposite end to move down the line as far as that point.
    That is why care must be taken when defining waiting points or reversal points on single line sections.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Rob Roeterdink

Quote Originally Posted by roeter View Post
    1) How far ahead signals are cleared is determined using the "SignalNumClearAhead" value in the sigcfg.dat file.
    This number indicates the number of normal signal heads cleared ahead (so not signals : clearly, some signals have multiple heads). This is more or less similar as in MSTS.
    If the signals do not clear far enough, it is likely this value is set too low.

Regards,

Rob Roeterdink
    In MSTS I had set that value to 4, With Open Rails I have set it to 8 and it seems to have cleared the issue up.