Thread: AI Spawn tested successfully

Default AI Spawn tested successfully

This may have been a side note in today's session, but I thought I would just give an update on the scope of the latest RTS software and probably one of the cool things that it can be used for. This currently is not available to the public as of yet as I want to include many more features over the summer.

The program now has the ability to take a copy of any train and copy it anywhere including another route. There are currently limitations based on the locations of both the source and destination. Source is less limited simply because all that is required is a train that is in motion in non-complex tracks (no switches). Once you have that source file you can then use it anywhere. The target is limited to the data available of the route. I'm currently going through data on Needles Sub, but it wouldn't take much to add it in to something for Mojave as well.

The easy thing that can be done is simply spawning a train in route from one to the other. But the original goal of this was to provide an AI spawning system. Now it's not going to be true AI simply because that is something that has to be controlled by the Run8 program. RTS always has dealt with train files only. If say you have even a decent session going on Needles for example. A dispatcher or someone else could use the software to spawn up ghost traffic as it approaches player services. They can simply run where player interaction would take place and delete the service. The same theory can be used with crew changes that take place for users that can't finish their runs.

All of this will open into the next phase where I plan on building a virtual hump yard. It also opens the door for other features such as a consist generator where you specify the location and data such as number of cars, blocking, random factors, etc. and the program simply builds a new train file.

I am currently testing some of these features such as the AI spawn in my sessions in the coming weeks and will gradually move over to the other projects as summer progresses.

Thanks

Sean

Sean, the use of the term "AI" for what you are creating is a misnomer. Those consists do nothing until/unless controlled by a human.

A more suitable description would be "clone".

Bruce
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

To a certain degree I would agree that clone would be a better word then AI. Perhaps a more suitable term would be ghost because the running of the train is only managed in the vicinity of player services. Once past a player service it goes back to it's timing and track charts, but this is all managed from the host's end. It's about the closest thing I can come to AI assisted traffic thus the term.

AI Spawn is originally where I wanted to take it where it would track locations, apply filters for train type, and provide ETA's. Not exactly AI as we know it (far from it), but based the two words together timing the produces spawns.

Thanks

Sean

Thanks

Sean

Looking great, Sean! A lot of intersting and useful features, hope you get them working fine soon after summer. Very handful sometimes the "AI" thingy, I rather call them ghost traffic (GT) with unmanned trains (or simple unmanned trains - UT)! maybe UTT - Unmanned Trains Traffic!

Good luck!
    Doc.

I beat you too that term - But the message was a ghost from above I think I may just change the name though it will eventually just be a subroutine in RTS.

Thanks

Sean

May have jumped the gun a little bit, I had not tried to program in WB spawns as of yet but figured it would be easy enough.

Unfortunately the structure of the file is a little tricky when it comes to trains heading in this direction. Because I'm preparing for the next session I wanted to mention this especially to those expecting to see WB traffic (not going to happen on Wednesday).

I'll get a chance to take a look at the code again later in the week and get this one figured out. Good news is now I can concentrate on putting in some more spawn zones for EB movements. If your a WB you should have a pretty good show.

Thanks

Sean