Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Train-maker-upper?

Question Train-maker-upper?

I have tried and tried again to do Run8's new consist editor, but I don't know how to open it... Is there a key that I press or something? Help?

Press F4 to set the windowed mode, and then CTRL+F1, consist builder screen is NOT visible in full screen mode.
    Last edited by MachinistBrazil; 07-09-2013 at 10:19 PM.

Then Shift+F12, move to a point where your view is centered in the web of the right rail. The consist should appear on the track behind you, select and save. If it doesn't appear, move forward or backward along the track to find a track node that will support the TMU.

I also I have problems. I can not put a train on the track.
    Help please

There's got to be a trick to do this.

I'm new to train maker too. I think to you need to stand on the left or right side of the rail. Now the locomotive or the train set will not be placed on the track the way you want it, you have to becareful, even if you make a mistake you can delete it. Not a serious problem. Face a direction you want to choose, click Place Train on Track and it should appear. Hope that helps!
    Last edited by csx2057; 08-09-2013 at 10:40 AM.

Tricks are:

As Kent said, stand on the right hand rail, hit Shift+F12 to select the free-flight view, and then use QWEASD Keys to position yourself (eyes view) as in this pic:
    TMU view.jpg

If you got the message "No node found" it means the spawn thingy failed, otherwise (no message) your train was spawned anywhere close to you (usually behind you, sometimes in the track beside you etc.), look around to check it out.

Sometimes train is placed out of rails, especially in curves, however when you click on it to take control it will re-spawn over the tracks correctly as supposed to be. Avoid to place trains close to switches, it's harder to the program find a node in this case.

If placement failed, move couple feet forth (or back) and try again, and so on. After you got the hang of the thing it's quite easy to place trains, usually in the 2nd or 3rd attempt.

Good luck,
    Doc.
    Last edited by MachinistBrazil; 08-09-2013 at 01:34 PM.

Not sure if my reply got out to anyone considering I'm on moderated posts and when they appear may pop up deep into a thread. So I'll mention this here.

The best place I find it works is on straight sections as mentioned not near switches.

What you have to be careful of is S curves on long trains. For example I tried for a very long time spawning a 10000 foot train at Needles and it appears to be impossible. I wound up spawning smaller segments to get what I was looking for and that was simply track data, and I have that now.

Once my output routine is done, I'll have all the spawning I need. Just have to add new track data, waybills etc. The TMU will only be used to survey other locations if I want them, everything else will be generated by my program.

Thanks

Sean

The best place is on strait track but, you may need to drive it to where you want it then save it.
    sparkplug

A very useful tip from another forum....

Cheers,
    Doc.

Quote Originally Posted by WWES4477
    Someone might have already said something about this, but about 10 days ago I discovered how to get the "X" properly positioned on the screen to get train onto the track the first time, almost everytime.

here it is:
    1. Move mouse close to center of "X"
    2. Press right mouse button and hold--mouse jumps to a place on screen, but continue holding button down
    3. Move center of "X" to the mouse cursor.

No more or very few "no node found" messages.

DocW
    i7 2600K CPU @ 3.4 GHz (8 CPUs) - 8GB RAM 667MHz - NVidia GeForce GTX 460 1MB - 21' Monitor (1920x1080) - Auzentech X-Fi Forte 5.1 - RailDriver - Run8 Beta Tester.

Be aware of the fact that, if you attempt to place a train from the TMU on hilly or curvy track and you don't see the train, and you did not get any kind of a warning like "no node found" or "can't spawn here, track already occupied" etc., your train spawned somewhere in the Run8 world. In this case, you should check the dispatch screen to see if any sections of track are occupied. Your train may spawn way up in the air or even miles away from where you tried to place it. This has only happened to me when trying to place a train in curves, such as climbing up the hill between Caliente and Tehachapi. When I couldn't locate them, I noticed the dispatch board indicating a train between Sanborn and Edwards. When I went to that location I found nothing there....... until I looked up. There it was about 1000 feet up in the air. I flew up and clicked on it and BAM, gone! For this reason I suggest creating only one train at a time, save it and then delete it. After creating and saving all the trains you want, then spawn them all into a session if you please.
    Doug B.
    Eugene, Oregon, USA - Pacific Standard Time ( - 8:00 UTC )
    3.4 ghz Intel i7-3770 quad core processor, 8 gigs RAM, 2 gig AMD Radeon HD 7850