Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Run8 doesn't run. Could someone please help?

Default Run8 doesn't run. Could someone please help?

Just purchased Run 8 yesterday. Worked for 11 hours yesterday and about 4 more today. At first, it just didn't run. Downloaded it again and got into cab, but there was a simulated EOT problem on the engineer's screen. No info available on how to stop the EOT problem.

Downloaded 7 or 8 more times, but have been unable to get into cab w/ ctrl F11 (simultaneous). (Now have 9 downloads, some of which I cannot get rid of. Have sent many e-mails to customer care, one answer from James Phillips.) Smoke comes from turbo stacks, sound is there, and menus work, but nothing else works.

There is NO technical support from this company. They don't even answer e-mails & have no telephone number.

Run8 appears to have a lot of detail, but what good is that when there is no tech. support?

I am hoping that some knowledgeable and kind person will take the time to help me by doing the company's work for them.

What do you expect customer care to do, read the instructions for you?

http://www.run8studios.com/overview.shtml

I am always amazed at the efforts people will go to to avoid reading any kind of documentation.

Quote Originally Posted by trainsimsite View Post
    What do you expect customer care to do, read the instructions for you?

http://www.run8studios.com/overview.shtml

I am always amazed at the efforts people will go to to avoid reading any kind of documentation.
    I read the instructions! I tried the alternative loading that you suggested and it didn't work either. It loads, as I said and works up to a point--GOT THAT? But the enter cab command does not work.

I also printed the Run 8 Default Key list. Guess what(?), it doesn't say a thing about dealing with an EOT problem. Maybe it is not the reader but the writing that is a problem.

It's not a simulated error, you just haven't put the EOT on yet. If you made it into the cab, you must have selected the engine with your mouse. The options box opens, and you should click start all locomotives and auto mu, though some purists insist on doing this all the prototype way with each unit. Set your headlight for short hood lead if appropriate. Then ctrl F11 into the cab. Flip the four black circuit breakers on your left to on with the mouse, turn around and put the isolation switch on the back wall into run. Hit H twice for the headlights. Now F12 out of the cab, use the WASD keys and shift or ctrl to move to the back of the train. Click on the coupler and then click Attach EOT. You're almost ready...ctrl F11 back to the cab, reverser to forward (Insert key). Throttle to N1 (numpad plus), f5 to remove the parking brake, you should start moving. In single player, you set your own switches and signals in the F3 dispatch screen (it helps to be in full screen for this). Now all this assumes you have no DPU's...if you do, each set must be selected and a lead unit designated to operate in the appropriate FWD (Default) position or REV. Any rear end DPU must have its light set and turned on with the J key. It took me three hours on the first day of Run8's release last summer to figure this out. And once you get used to it and join a multi-player session, support gets a lot easier, since the developers often run with their customers and get first hand feedback. As far as most customers are concerned, support is excellent. Right now the developers are busy getting a major upgrade ready (I just got off the beta test server), so they may be a little behind in the e-mail. This is a very small team of folks, most of them doing it as a part time business, and they will get to you as soon as they can, likely in the next couple of days after the new upgrade is released.

Thank you very much flarrfan2, I appreciate your kind help.

I did the options box and started all locomotives (therefore the smoke from the turbo stacks), checked the MUs, and set the option for short end forward. But I only got into the cab one time, early on, but now Ctrl F11 does not put me into the cab.I saw nothing in the instructions about the EOT, possibly because I was too eager to test a run. But I did look at the dispatcher screen.

There is probably a minor problem that prevents Ctrl F11 from letting me into the cab, but I have no idea what it is. Could you shed any light on what might be causing this problem? You have already let me know about some things that are not covered in what I have read from the run8 sites.

I am going to go try this again. I know that this is a small team of people, but I thought that there was someone at customer care who could solve minor problems that are not obvious to new users.

You have also let me know in a nice way that I have been too impatient. I am not accustomed to running into problems that I cannot solve in a reasonable time, and I assumed that someone was there to provide help since I received a very quick response when I ordered the system.

Here's a youtube video that shows the steps involved to get going:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcWZhmaM0cY

Thank you Mako88, I will watch that video.

Although I had read everything before attempting to run the simulator, I could not get into the cab w/ ctrl F11. It turns out that my problem was that the right Ctrl key on my keyboard is not working. I used the left one and got right into the cab. Then made an experimental run. This simulator is GREAT.

Your keyboard is probably ok, I believe it only works with the left CTRL unless you map it differently.

Thanks

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by WWES View Post
    It turns out that my problem was that the right Ctrl key on my keyboard is not working.
    My mistake, I am glad you got it working.

Actually, I think Left Ctrl key is the default set-up for entering the cab. I just tried mine and Right Ctrl key doesn't work for me either. The Run8 Default Key Map that's included in the manuals of instruction file has never been updated as far as I know. Mine still shows Aug 5/2012 and there have been some changes to it that you should be made aware of.