Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question Regarding Random Locomotive Failures

Default Question Regarding Random Locomotive Failures

I was running the G CNBRIC from Needles to Barstow using the Run 8 summer session. Twice the alarm bell went off and the display indicated "Trainline Alarm". Each time I stopped the train and walked it, clicking on each loco looking for the problem. No problems were noted. In fact, in the popup window I didn't see any place to indicate a loco problem. Has anyone else experienced this? It is difficult to solve the problem if the problem is unknown.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Gary

I too have experienced "Trainline Alarm" being displayed on MFD, whiles for me no alarm bell sounding.
    I've walked through each cab, no alarms, no indication of an issue. From the outside of each unit I've clicked
    to view popup panel looking for any fixit none showing. Get back to my headend unit to find message now gone
    & all's well for the rest of our trip.

While I experienced over heated traction motors in the 7-13 session on DAMS, I have not experienced any other failures and my overheated traction motors were on my lead unit which I was driving so I did not have to search for them. The changelog is not very specific but from what I gather, you need to try and figure out which locomotive is the problem by isolating them one by one until the alarm goes off. I am sure more will be coming out about how to handle these failures in the near future. Keep your eye on the forums.
    Last edited by dab1068; 07-16-2013 at 01:28 AM.
    Doug B.
    Eugene, Oregon, USA - Pacific Standard Time ( - 8:00 UTC )
    3.4 ghz Intel i7-3770 quad core processor, 8 gigs RAM, 2 gig AMD Radeon HD 7850

For the locomotive failures to work with the bells going off and for it to affect one of your units you have to be in hogger mode.
    I am a Ferroequinologist.

The problem corrected itself after each stop and train inspection. I didn't have anymore problems after the second failure.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by csxq090 View Post
    For the locomotive failures to work with the bells going off and for it to affect one of your units you have to be in hogger mode.
    I obviously was in hogger mode as you wont get messages of trouble otherwise.
    Thank You just the same for the heads up, for others scratching their heads.

I too have experienced "Trainline Alarm" being displayed on MFD, whiles for me no alarm bell sounding.
    I've walked through each cab, no alarms, no indication of an issue. From the outside of each unit I've clicked
    to view popup panel looking for any fixit none showing. Get back to my headend unit to find message now gone

FIY, however I think this deserves more clarification yet.... posted on today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad B. aka MojaveHerder in another forum
    In hogger mode you can now experience an alarm bell sound when one of your locomotives start to overheat. Bringing down your rpm will solve that problem hence when you stop your train to go look for the problem and then you don't find anything.

This is just an fyi as I've seen some posts from people saying they hear alarms but can't find anything wrong.
    Doc.
    Last edited by MachinistBrazil; 07-18-2013 at 11:15 AM.

Yeah that makes sense to me. I also recall seeing something about the amount of time depends on how severe the situation is.

Thanks

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by scottmartin View Post
    It was pointed out in the DAMS forum that there is nothing to reset when you get the alarm. The alarm is for an overheated engine. It stops when you stop your train, thus allowing the engine to cool down and the alarm then goes away.
    Doug B.
    Eugene, Oregon, USA - Pacific Standard Time ( - 8:00 UTC )
    3.4 ghz Intel i7-3770 quad core processor, 8 gigs RAM, 2 gig AMD Radeon HD 7850

For me though was no alarm bell sounding as I stated originally only "Trainline Alarm" message being displayed.
    Also the engine temp was very low on the screen to begin with, prior to stopping our train, surely not an
    indication of an overheating condition going by the temp graph on the MFD. What we need is the ability to open the longhood door
    at the front of block to view the coolant sight glass looking for low water. Also the ability to press the governor pop-it back in when we
    get a low oil condition, along with being able to work the layshaft in combo with the governor during times of restarts. Eventually I'm sure many of these features along with a host of others away from the cab itself will come into being.