Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Non-prototypical action in Run8

Default Non-prototypical action in Run8

My final goal with this awesome Run8 simulator is to became an operator capable of prototypical action and participating in multiplayer sessions. While that might take several months or more, I keep rehearsing in my own closed world. What I'm doing now is cutting long mixed manifest train into pieces at Barstow yard. Boxcars on one sidind, tankers on another etc. Then I load all consists full, and try to calculate suitable power requirements for each of them. Next duty perhaps will be pulling the trains made to different destinations. Single playing possibilities with Run8 are endless, there's no need to claim that Run8 is only a main road running sim. But of course multiplaying is tempting, after I gather some more skills. I really like Run8.
    cheers

Funny title of a thread when what your talking about is learning how to run in Single Player.Glad your enjoying yourself and thats how folks used to work their way into MP mode.Now they buy and install and hop in MP and have no idea but they know everything and it turns the older ones off.
    Work Safe play hard

Quote Originally Posted by westerngy View Post
    Funny title of a thread when what your talking about is learning how to run in Single Player.Glad your enjoying yourself and thats how folks used to work their way into MP mode.Now they buy and install and hop in MP and have no idea but they know everything and it turns the older ones off.
    Wish there were more people like me in MP, neither all-knowing foamer nor real RRer. I've met quite a few in MP over the months I was addicted to the sim, but as Dale notes, some of the attitudes of both groups can drive folks like me away, or even give me an attitude, as some of my old friends say, probably with some accuracy.

I understand where flarrfan2 is coming from. I have been in a number of MP sessions with him in the past, and I think it's safe to say that we both enjoyed them to a considerable degree. But they had their downsides, both in troll actions (in the past) that upset the session, or too much non-prototypical chatting on Teamspeak, particularly by some folks new to the sim. In some cases, such individuals got the answers they needed to a question, but then didn't go silent and go about their business running the train. Instead, a sometimes lengthy and chatty conversation ensued, with comment and add-on questions that were unnecessary and inappropriate.

I have had an super-busy work schedule of late, with few opportunities to join MP sessions. When I do, it's been on the DAMS server at various odd times when I could find a break, and not in any organized session. I've really, really appreciated the availablility of the DAMS server to enable this -- many thanks!!! It's been enjoyable to just jump on and get into the action for a while -- just like a pick-up ballgame. But as with those pick-up games, the quality of the sessions can be inconsistent.

They've been generally good, but sometimes you get less skilled players, or those who just won't or don't know how to behave themselves, especially on Teamspeak. Misbehavior by such folks has generally been tamped down by others on the server at the time, but a few times it's gone on because those onboard at the time were of like mind. In a pick-up game, that's just how it is -- you get what you get. If so, I've looked for the next siding where I could tie-up my train and worked that out with the DS, did so, and then quietly left the server. Again, just like a pick-up ballgame in days of yore. Sometimes it's a great game, and sometimes you can't leave it soon enough. Luck of the draw.

On the other hand, I've been a few terrific open, non-organized sessions on DAMS. As luck would have it, a challenging operating situation developed, and those onboard had to work together and with the DS to untangle a tough situation. Everyone followed good practice, extra chatter was near zero, and all involved did what they should do in real-life terms to get the railroad fluid again. It was a terrific, indeed, exciting, experience. Again, like a pick-up ballgame, you can get a lousy game, or you can get a great game. Luck of the draw.

I think MP in Run 8 will be going through a transition in the months ahead. There will be the pick-up sessions on DAMS or another server where it's luck of the draw. There have been enough MP sessions now, both organized sessions like captain ford's and those on RTS, that those of us who participate are getting to know each other. We're getting to know who the good runners are, both in terms of a reasonable, practiced level of skill in the sim, adherence to protypical operating practice and rules observance, and in terms of behavior overall in the session. There will remain open, pick-up sessions like those on DAMS, with all of the pluses and minuses that any pick-up game has -- and there should be!!!! They have a very real, and very important fucntion!!! That's how we all learned how to play baseball, basketball, soccer, football, hockey or whatever in our youth, made friends, and learned each other's level of skill. And we learned tolerance and acceptance of others that both we outselves and others grew from. Open sessions on DAMS or other servers can fill that function in the Run 8 world. And in doing so, they can still be a lot of fun, perhaps quite often.

But just as in sports, as we learned the game and the skils of players through pick-up games, things coalesced into a new pattern. Once we proved ourselves, we were invited to planned games. We got into organized leagues. We still got into a pick-up game on occasion just to satisfy the itch to play, but our typical focus was elsewhere.

In Run 8, I think that may start to happen. Not just organized sessions, but sessions organized and resticted by invitation. I don't think I'd want to see a super-organized, league-like structure like VORA, with formal qualification and so forth, but maybe that will eventually evolve for Run 8, as for That Other Sim (which I still enjoy, too) -- or it already has, and I'm just unaware of it. If that evolves, so be it. With this by-invitation-only structure will come some necessary server structure such a designated, by-reservation servers, and functions such as per-session multi-level passwords for entry first to the server and Teamspeak, and then to the sim itself. Maybe even VPN connectivity to assure that any bad behaving folks and trolls are totally locked out. To be invited you would have to previously demonstrate good skill level and knowledge of the sim, and good general social behavior and observance of an agreed-upon level of prototypical operating practice.

There will be associated drama if and when this occurs. Word will get out, even if those who organize such sessions endeavor to keep it quiet and to themselves. Those not invited will try to get invited properly, or perhaps wriggle their way in through some inappropriate means, particularly if they did not get an invite after asking for one. The victim card will get played in some way, and intimations of elitism will surface in flaming messages on this and other sites. It's all perfectly silly, of course. But such is life in our times, plus and minus.

Things evolve and change. Run 8 Multiplayer will too, and should. The foundations have been built: a great sim; a terrific and ever-improving multiplayer environment; and the availablity of servers like DAMS and RTS where people can get into both organized sessions and "pick-up games" to learn, practice, and grow in operating skills and associated appropriate social skills. And get to know others and be known by others as well relative to skills and behavior.

Run 8 is still young, and so is rail sim multiplayer. In these times, and in the world of technology especially, one year seems like an eternity. But if we take a step back, we can recognize that a terrific amount has happened in a short time. Excellent foundations have been laid. And maybe in the relative eternity of the next year, we're ready to move to a new level.

In any case, it's gonna be interesting -- and I think a lot of fun, too. Onward.

MC
    Columbia, Missouri USA

Quote Originally Posted by ironmtn View Post
    I understand where flarrfan2 is coming from. ...snip...
    MC
    Columbia, Missouri USA
    Many good thoughts here. Perhaps I have been a bit hasty in my "attitude." Maybe I will check in at some future date and see how things are going...or maybe not.

Awesome points-of-view MC! 99,99% fits my thoughts about....

Once (in fact twice), in the defunct R8A Forum (RIP), Brad has said that the number of members at there (more than 1,500 souls) was about 10% of Run8 owners. Regardless of fidelity of info, anyway in such huge group of people (from all the World, with all the ages, different real RR and trainsim experiences etc. etc. etc.) I'm absolutely sure that there are dozens of concepts (or conceptions) about what "have fun!" means for each individual, for each group.

There is room enough for everyone, and the time will provide the proper servers with their loyal customers. If diversity is the secret of life, variety is the spice of life, therefore both are welcome.

Oh yeah... the time! One year is too much for impatients, and new trainsimmers, but for those who waited 11 years for a new platform plenty of new potential stuffs to increase the immersiveness (at the point that is possible to do it at each moment), the time will go on faster than many can realise! This child will grow more and more, and quick. Hopefully.

Doc.
    Last edited by MachinistBrazil; 07-27-2013 at 02:51 PM.

So it sounds like MP turned out the way I thought it would for this game. Just like all other games in this current generation. Know it all's that sit in front of the console/pc all day, internet warriors, and new comers that get shoved away because of the first two.

Even console gaming, I have slowly decided to reduce my MP time, and stick to single player games.. It's sad really. Online use to be fun.

It's not unlike the model RR club I was in for about a year once. I left them because I didn't like the infighting between factions. Run8 is a very good sim, and the MP was a lot of fun for quite a while, until some folks got a little too intolerant of others. And then I kinda got intolerant of them. But there are still quite a few people who are happy with what is going on, particularly the weekly mega-sessions where things get very realistic operationally.

Quote Originally Posted by ironmtn View Post
    .....or too much non-prototypical chatting on Teamspeak, ....
    Is it absolutely essential to use this utility?
    Typing text takes more effort than just opening one's mouth and jabbering away, so why not drop TeamSpeak?

Maybe one of the things that puts newcomers off dipping their toes in the water is the fact that Teamspeak appears to be a requirement for realistic operation and interfacing with the others.

BK
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Actually I dropped TS for that very reason. I started text only, but did give it a go for some time but really didn't see a major increase in numbers, and for me was just a pain. But there is a price and that is people like to hear themselves talk. There are also those who do use it properly and enjoy the prototypical nature of it. But from my perspective giving up my sanity for some prototype and popularity is not worth it.

I've belonged and continue to belong to model railroad clubs. I seen reference to that, and I totally agree. What happens is you get a group of guys who become tight and it's an enjoyable experience. But not everyone who joins a model railroad club is in it for the social aspect. Some just want to run a layout that is bigger than their basement could ever hold.

I don't see MP as a medium for social interaction. Sure from time to time when it's dead (on my server that is quite often) I'll get in a good chat with a couple of people. What annoyed me is often I would go some place and be the odd man out of a big conversation. Often not being able to call signals or talk with dispatch because another buddy conversation was taking place.

Is MP going to evolve, well I hope so. I hope the rumors are true and something will be in place to let anyone run a server the way they want to run it. We have become custom to seeing many trains and interaction both from other programs, and some very popular servers and sessions.

We have a kit on the horizon that personally I and many do not know what this will bring. The way I see it if I have the ability to build a route I'm going to to do just that on a line perhaps not as busy. I would much rather have humans running trains, but you have to be realistic about something. Either a kit will start massive development of routes and/or the kit attracts more users. But to say this program is going to achieve the majority of market share (not so sure of that one). MSTS still has a huge following, then you got the others that have more eye candy. But because this is about Run8 what does that mean to us? It means those tight groups are going to have their own interests and preferences and even more choices in the road ahead.

If the rumors play out and the kit develops routes (not sure about the later so much as I haven't heard officially) then I see great times ahead. All of this growing pains will not matter, and people will enjoy the servers they want to enjoy. Hosts will also be in a better position to control those who get out of line. Right now I see the major issue is communications, and that is where many of these things can be settled. Bottom line treat those the way you would expect to be treated and good things should happen.

Thanks

Sean