Thread: A new way that I code trains

Default A new way that I code trains

This is a cut and past from the dams where I posted it. I got a feeling that no one will not really care for it or need, but I thought there was a few of you that are just on this forum. I will throw it out there for you guys and if you like that's great, if not, will not hurt my feelings any.

I thought I would post this for anyone that would want it. I know it is not what the real railroad train codes look like, but that made very little sense to me. So I took the CSX train codes and changed it to fit my needs of Mojave and Needles......

For Yard jobs..
    Barstow = B
    Needles = N
    Bakersfield = S
    Yermo = Y
    Yermo to Barstow Transfer = T
    Mojave = M

Then for the numbers, three digit yard jobs.
    1 for day, 2 for a night job
    1 west facing engine, 2 east facing engine
    1,2,3 number of engines on local.

example in my notes would be N122 would be a Needles yard job working in daylight facing east with two engines. so on and so forth.

The run through trains
    Q intermodals in the 1000's
    R's auto racks in the 2000's
    E's general freight east bound 4000's
    W's general west bound freight 5000's
    G's in the 7000's grain

I did mine with train code and destination yard code and a 4 digit number.
    Example:
    QS1116
    That would be an intermodal that terminates at Bakersfield that ran in daylight was a full load, and run on Saturday

First digit would be the type of train (somewhat redundant to the letter code I understand)
    2nd =day or night
    3rd = full or empty
    4th = day of the week.

I am not sure it is going to be useful to anyone but me. I am play in SP most of the time and I have a lot of movements, and I am starting to forget what I was going to do with all of my trains. It also lets my imagination works for me.

Enjoy

Reeves

From my area I'm used to train numbers and simply having a list to remember where they go. For the west coast I find their system is actually easy to remember once you get used to the geography and locations. BNSF being 3 letters and UP being 2. Anyone is also welcome to use my list as it's available to anyone.

Based on observations as well as those with access to the data I've finished compiling a list for the 2. It doesn't contain every local or any trains west of Bakersfield that either start or end there. The observations are complete I just need to clean up some of the coding. It comes from an original TD3 file from 2011 and I've added to it or commented on what I've seen.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...VlNZS1E#gid=21

Thanks

Sean