Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone ever see this message in Run 8 when Hosting?

IslandGamer Guest

Default Anyone ever see this message in Run 8 when Hosting?

I have a couple of friends that like to private host Run 8 now and then, but when they want to save our trains in the sidings
    on the server they get (see attached screenshot) That happens when they click on the spawn tab and then click the save button.
    As you can see it gives an error and says it saves, but it sadly does not.
    Dont even know which Sub to save or load in Mojave or Needles.

Any help guys would be great.

Run 8 error.jpg

Mike
    Last edited by IslandGamer; 08-19-2013 at 01:44 PM. Reason: typos

That is a windows error, I've tried to explain that to Rhody before and all I got was bashed.
    Last edited by Rodney; 08-19-2013 at 02:40 PM.

Mike, this is why you have Run8 installed in the system folder "C:\Program Files (x86)\Run 8 Studios\Run 8 Train Simulator". Win 7 (and further) usually doesn't allow to write into that folder unless you had launched Run8 "as Administrator". However I'm not sure if this is enough, once I have my Run8 installation out of that folder, therefore I never saw that message before. It's always a good idea to have any game installed out of "system programs" folder.

Cheers,
    Doc.
    Last edited by MachinistBrazil; 08-19-2013 at 02:11 PM.

IslandGamer Guest

My name is Mike not Rhody

IslandGamer Guest

Hi Doc

Thanks for getting back to me.

Ok so what you are saying is these guys need to reinstall their server into a folder like... C:\Run8
    Is that what you mean and then set security permissions on that folder and then set to always run as Administrator???

Thanks again Doc for helping.

Mike

But just like Doc stated, it has to do with Windows permissions and what Windows will and will not let you do.
    Last edited by Rodney; 08-19-2013 at 02:39 PM.

IslandGamer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MachinistBrazil View Post
    Mike, this is why you have Run8 installed in the system folder "C:\Program Files (x86)\Run 8 Studios\Run 8 Train Simulator". Win 7 (and further) usually doesn't allow to write into that folder unless you had launched Run8 "as Administrator". However I'm not sure if this is enough, once I have my Run8 installation out of that folder, therefore I never saw that message before. It's always a good idea to have any game installed out of "system programs" folder.

Cheers,
    Doc.
    That would be nice bit of information for the Run 8 Manual.

IslandGamer Guest

Im not Rhody
    I am a friend of Rhody.

Stop accusing me of being someone I am not.

Why are you harrasing me?
    I have done nothing to you?

Anyone??? Help???

NO I KNOW YOUR ISSUE NOW. I seen similar posts you had on another server last night and was confused. The screen shot is what made me understand what is going on. My posts are delayed here as I'm under moderation. As for the others here is the reason FYI. Hopefully my messages are still useful to the community even if delayed.

In fact if you look at the screen shot ANYONE can reproduce that same error

When you save a file DO NOT use the : as it's an invalid character in the file name. There error message is misleading because it mentions administrator mode. You were running fine before so nothing else has changed, that is the issue. If you want to save a time use something like 0224 etc.

Thanks

Sean
    Last edited by SurvivorSean; 08-19-2013 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Politically Correct

I apologize, I tried to help Rhody on his forum and all I got was bashed and called names and threaten with a ban, when I tried to explain to him that it was a windows error and that he shouldn't be bashing the Run 8 team for the problem. Rhody's name is Mike and he's from Rhode Island, and with your name, that's why I thought you were him. Sorry.