Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting Run 8 Soon; I Have Some Questions

Question Getting Run 8 Soon; I Have Some Questions

I've been looking at this simulator recently and I've decided that I want it! But first, I needed to know some things so I wouldn't be flying blind in some areas other than the game play itself. So here are some questions I have:

Q. When I install, will I need to download any updates, or is Run 8 installed as the newest version?
    A. It will be some version.

Q. When I'm behind by multiple versions, do I need to download all of the updates, or just the most recent update?
    A. Most recent only.

Q. Will I want to keep many copies of whatever web address/game key I'm given to keep my copy of the game safe, or is it connected to some kind of 'account?'
    A. Keep copies of reg. key.

Q. Are these PC specs good? (I'm no good at comparing most aspects of recommended specs to what I have.)
    This is just the basics, if more is needed, i can probably find it. Info from a DxDiag file.
    Code:
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU         940  @ 2.93GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.9GHz
    Memory: 6144MB RAM
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260
    A. Good specs.

And I believe that's all I have for now, if you have an answer, I'd like to know it.

Looks like I got answers for the questions, and I'll be getting the game later on.
    Last edited by pschlik; 08-26-2013 at 09:43 PM.
    But does it have field shunts?

Not Sure

Most recent

Be sure to back up your files that you download and keep your registration keys in a safe place in case you need to reinstall at a later date.

Those specs should run the sim very well.

Very important suggestion: Install the sim not in the Program Files folders. Once in stalled, look in the folder for a file called xnafx31_redist and run it. This has to be done before the sim can run.

Enjoy.

As per the version X upgrades questions, it will depend on the date you buy the game, therefore the version you will receive, and the upgrades available at the time. Something to worry, or not, further.

As per your rig, the CPU is good enough, but your video card (what the dedicated VRAM is?) is just a bit better than the minimum recommended (GT 440 with at least 1GB VRAM, BTW no long produced). It's enough to play the sim for now (and for a while), but don't expect higher FPS or headache-free performance. You can compare graphic cards performances here:
    http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

Cheers,
    Doc.
    Last edited by MachinistBrazil; 08-20-2013 at 12:32 AM.

Alright, thanks! I'll probably go and get the game later this week, and I'll keep in mind the graphics card for the next time my computer is upgraded. As for VRAM, not sure where that is in the DxDaig.
    Last edited by pschlik; 08-26-2013 at 09:44 PM.

The info that comes out in DxDiag is useless. Launch Nvidia Control Panel, in the left corner in the very bottom click on System Informations (or similar, my Win 7 is in Portuguese). Roll down the list till you see "Dedicate Video Memory" (or similar name) that's your VRAM, you need at least 1GB VRAM.

DOc.
    Last edited by MachinistBrazil; 08-20-2013 at 12:33 AM.

I have a GTX 260M and it runs fine
    If the yards are busy it may drop frames but still runs good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

My graphics card has 896 MB of dedicated memory. Nothing exceptional, I'd really like to have a better one, but that's for later.
    Anyway, I just bought the game, and I'm waiting for the e-mail. With all I've heard, I sure don't think I'll be regretting this buy!
    Last edited by pschlik; 08-26-2013 at 09:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pschlik View Post
    My graphics card has 896 MB of dedicated memory. Nothing exceptional, I'd really like to have a better one, but that's for later.
    Anyway, I just bought the game, and I'm waiting for the e-mail. With all I've heard, I sure don't think I'll be regretting this buy!
    Should be enough, though your FPS may not be the best. Get the startup routine down pat, learn how to set up DPU's, run the route each way in single player, play around with some yard switching in one of the pre-made sessions, and jump into MP...it's like nothing else you have ever done with trains on a computer.

I have 550ti nvidia and i7 3770k. I run that thing so high i run it over 60fps. Even in yards.
    ~Daniel C.
    https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-yFEoH9dxyJY/Ue5v1pvqQYI/AAAAAAAAAvY/sCO5IuWVJVo/w300-h106-no/RWA+Signature+2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by csx2057 View Post
    I have 550ti nvidia and i7 3770k. I run that thing so high i run it over 60fps. Even in yards.
    I'll just need to wait at this point, hopefully I'll have the e-mail by tomorrow morning.
    Last edited by pschlik; 08-26-2013 at 09:45 PM.