Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steep Learning Curve

Default Steep Learning Curve

So I've been thinking about giving Run 8 a try, and I'm wondering how steep the learning curve is for Run 8 in terms of driving a train. So far all I've been used to is model trains, MSTS, Rail Simulator and RailWorks. I've never played a simulator that simulated every aspect of running a train.
    Sean Summer
    CEO of Blue Ridge Mountains Machine works.

Some people pick up on things faster than others. It might be a steep learning curve for you,
    but understandable to many.
    Interested in all Train-Sims

I think you have to be prepared to unlearn everything you have seen in another simulator. Having Raildriver will help you quite a bit because of the ability to control the train. The good thing is RD can work with other simulators as well if you decide Run8 isn't for you.

One bonus you will find is the simulator will not simply kick you out of a session if you screw up. Some trains will be easier than others and the same goes for certain aspects of a route. But you are going to have to learn it and there is tons of people to help you with that.

Once you know how to navigate your guy (I too use the keyboard to move the avatar around along with the mouse) the process doesn't take much.

1) Select the lead loco and hit auto start then auto MU
    2) Select the short hood forward option for your lights on this unit
    3) If your have DPU's you'll have to walk or run down to them and assign the DPU and it's direction for the lead in each group.
    4) The last item on the train engine or car you'll have to position yourself close enough to the coupler, mouse select it, and add the EOT
    5) If the last item is a rear DPU then you'll have to set the rear light for short hood train or long hood trail depending on what it is
    6) CTRL(left side of keyboard not right)-F11 will get you in the cab
    7) 4 breakers need to be turned on just to your left.
    8) holding right mouse button rotate yourself so you look behind you and select run

Now that sounds like quite a bit to get a train to even get ready to start, but when you become used to it that can be done in 30 seconds to 1 minute.

There are videos available to show you all of this and more at Run8's website.

Thanks

Sean

A learning curve indeed, especially if you are accustom to MSTS or the others as there are many bad habits in these types of games. I was reluctant to try Run 8. I have been a huge fan of MSTS since its inception. Spent so many hours on cab and rolling stock design, sounds files, endless tweaking of computer settings and graphic cards (just to get the stupid thing from stuttering) and very little time just running trains. Of all the routes I have and the thousands of pieces of rolling stock, I ran very few routes the entire length, and though I have probably every single piece of decent payware and nice freeware, I haven't used most of them. I gave Run 8 a try, and I'll never go back to MSTS. I have some RR experience working a major west coast Port and a tourist line, but never main line experience. Having said that, there was a lot more to learn, and I thank the 'old hats' at Run 8 who lend a hand.

My two cents for getting the most out of Run 8:

1. Read and comprehend the guides that are out there.

2. You must have basic knowledge of how diesel electric power works. I'm glad there aren't a plethora of power types available in Run 8. You have s types of GE DC diesels, ES for freight and P42's for passenger so you can get good with this type of power.

3. You must know the route for smooth operation. Slack is your enemy, and knowing where the little (and big) peaks and valleys are translates into smooth operation. I DON'T RECOMMEND ANYONE GO TO MULTI PLAY AT FIRST. Get to know the route, the equipment, and yard operation in single player, then take the dive. Also, foam around without operating a train. Watch these guys work the yards, etc. When you are ready to run in MP, take something fairly easy at first.

I say spend the $40, you won't know what you're missing if you don't.

Brad
    Last edited by Brad3816; 08-23-2013 at 05:59 PM.

Plus they don't have any restrictions like can't be on fb, can't be on the phone, can't record, can't take a screenshot, can't do this can't do that. Like Sean said you wont be kicked out of the session if you screw up. That is so true!

On the other hand I was in a group way before Run 8 came along. I was in a session and got yelled at by a dispatcher asking me why I had a screenshot on their group during the session. I got kicked and couldn't run for sat session. The 2nd was different cause I wanted to leave the group. Nothing beats Run 8 groups. You don't wanna know what group I was in.
    ~Daniel C.
    https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-yFEoH9dxyJY/Ue5v1pvqQYI/AAAAAAAAAvY/sCO5IuWVJVo/w300-h106-no/RWA+Signature+2.jpg

Question, do the routes in Run 8 come with a track chart?
    Sean Summer
    CEO of Blue Ridge Mountains Machine works.

Nolatron has great maps on his site

http://www.run8depot.com/maps/

Also as recommended if you do start in single player for a few runs, you'll be able to get familiar with the territory. F3 will show you the dispatch displays (this only shows you when your on the mains of a visible block). If you have both routes F3 will cycle through the routes displays, hit esc key to return to simulator screen.

On Needles you have the added bonus of station name signs at control points, as well as being able to call up mile posts. Shift F3 from the simulator screen on either route will get you familiar with the various signals as well as an abbreviated timetable that shows station name signs, and mile posts.

Thanks

Sean

Yes the learning curve is kind of steep for Run8 but taking the time to learn and figure stuff out is part of the fun of Run8. When something doesn't work, go to the forums and search for the problem. Can't find it, then post a new thread about it and you will get lots of help. Part of the joy of Run8 for me is that I am always learning something new that helps me be a better sim engineer. Plus the Run8 crew are coming out with upgrades to the sim quite regularly which is always fun to download and go check out what has changed.

It will take some time to learn; you will NOT be disappointed.
    Doug B.
    Eugene, Oregon, USA - Pacific Standard Time ( - 8:00 UTC )
    3.4 ghz Intel i7-3770 quad core processor, 8 gigs RAM, 2 gig AMD Radeon HD 7850

The "learning curve" really isn't that steep, I'm not sure why everyone keeps saying that. If you want a challenge, try a spaceflight simulator like Orbiter.

The biggest thing in multiplayer is to ask permission before spawning/taking anything.