Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Do I Join A Multiplayer Session & What Are The General Proceedures?

Post How Do I Join A Multiplayer Session & What Are The General Proceedures?

This has probably been covered before, but where can I find information about multiplayer?

How do I join a session, how do I leave a session etc.

Thanks!

Rob

First you'll have to find what servers are running and when. There are at least 3 24/7 servers out there with different flavors to choose from. DAMS by far is the most popular where you will see lots of action and supports Teamspeak & text and has a forum. RR Guys pride themselves on being just for fun and not too prototypical. I believe they have a loyal following but are TS only, they also have a forum. Then there is my server which is text only. Though the 1st server to host in public for the past year, it's got a very small following. I just keep pumping out the new features of the RTS program, I have a forum (kind of like a blog at the moment). You'll also find many planned sessions that appear from time to time from various hosts. I believe Captain is still running sessions every 2 weeks on DAMS, and you get about the same frequency from the VirtualRail sessions which I enjoy.

IP addresses are often posted on websites or forums that show up in the Run8 community tab of the official forum. At times you might see them on a signature or two It's good to check them out to see what is expected for any rules or procedures etc. The IP and websites are also posted a Run8Depot.Com as well.

To actually connect to an MP you need to first set your name in the F1 section. You can use your initials or an alias to identify yourself. After closing that window on that setup you can SHIFT F1 and enter the client tab. Take the IP address that is posted on the sites above, and any applicable password (many sites do not require a password). After that it's a matter of hitting join session button on the screen.

TS may or may not be hosted by a server, and in some cases will be required. Getting the teamspeak client from www.teamspeak.org would then be necessary and I'll leave those instructions for the time being. TS will require a working mic (doesn't have to be the best). You can also use a working head set.

Make sure that you have all the default downloads before joining a server (see Run8 website for add ons stock). You don't need the payware, but without a download you will run into errors.

Hope that helps.

Thanks

Sean

Thanks for the information Sean.

Question: How does one receive a text and then answer during an MP session?

Robert

Hit the Tab key, type and press enter to send a message...unless you have checked the option not to show other messages, a little beep will signal a new message from someone in the session, and it appears in the upper left of the screen.

Another good tip on MP...your first time in any server, probably a good idea to just be a foamer for a while, listen on TS and watch the text messages to see how communication works, pull up the dispatch screen (External DS program recommended to get more information about the trains), and just do some railfanning. Once you have a good idea how the server works and how the clients communicate, you can ask about recrewing a train or permission to spawn your own somewhere. The DAMS server will have a designated DS during busy times, and it is a violation of the server rules to spawn or set signals and switches on your own if there is a DS on duty.

Quote Originally Posted by flarrfan2 View Post
    Hit the Tab key, type and press enter to send a message.
    Forgot to mention the importance of remembering to hit Tab again to turn off texting after you hit enter. One reason I like TeamSpeak is I was constantly forgetting to turn off texting and then trying to figure out why my train was not responding to keyboard input.

seriously, just get teamspeak.

once you have teamspeak, it will be much easier for you to ask questions and get answers.

when u get into a session, teamspeak will allow you to communicate prototypically with the dispatcher. talking with a dispatcher is just more realistic than typing to a dispatcher, especially in a busy session.

good luck and hope to see you in some sessions........

Yeah it will be very easy for you to ask questions. But don't expect to always get answers in a busy session when you hear trains across 100 miles or more But if you like to hear people talk then TS is for you. If a dispatcher knows what he is doing, the need to communicate in CTC will not be as great busy session or not. That is what the signals are for.

But to be honest if a session is set up to have TS text is often just as difficult to get through. I found it difficult to monitor both at the same time.

Thanks

Sean

TeamSpeak is not necessary and, as in other sims, can tend to be a distraction.

Having to deliberately go through a series of keystrokes to communicate lends itself to only messaging when needed, rather than continual "chatter".

BK
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

I totally agree with that. I think both have positive and negatives depending on the server and what is going on. TS is simply easier that leads to more of a sense of community. In some ways this is the most appealing point to it.

The one and only time I dispatched at DAMS was just after Needles came out. It was getting late at night, and some of the dispatchers were getting tired. Unfortunately the ED wasn't available yet for Needles so it made it even more challenging. What I find difficult even though my preference is text over TS is trying to take care of both. I had the same issue when I was hosting my own server using both TS and text. I find it's difficult to get the dispatcher's attention when your a texter in a dominant TS session. The dispatcher needs to have a delay in the text window to get everything and it can fill up when it's busy.

My experience has shown sessions like VR and DAMS in prime time tend to stay away from most but not all the extra chatter. Its when things are not as busy or monitored when it becomes more convenient for chatter.

The keystrokes you mentioned can often use short forms from the client end such as "TY" "YW" "NP" for the pleasantries and "Req Crew Change ASAP, or (siding name, # of mins)" can require far less. Also unlike the prototype simulations aren't a matter of lives and property on the line.

The ones who do the most typing will be the dispatchers in text only, but they have help. The ED for example has many built in macros to assist them in common responses and information including meets, etc.

The most efficient way of communication used on the prototype is the telephone. This is often used between train masters, dispatchers, yardmasters, and crews in terminal whenever possible. A very efficient communication wise between crews once upon a time as well but is not time or cost effective. However if you look back teletype and written train orders are the most effective though not efficient way of ensuring safety and compliance. The signals themselves made much of the above rarely required or obsolete. Radio communications are very effective in 2 man crews, and between dispatcher (towers) and crews. The busier the territory would rely more on CTC, less on ABS/TWC.

While the texting is not prototypical, nor is hearing everyone 100 miles away in TS either. What is overlooked that is prototypical is the cab radio for tones. Generally it's not necessary when you can grab a dispatcher's attention when your in range of the tower he is on at the end of another communication. When things get busy, and things don't go as planned neglecting another service can happen. The tone lights up the nearest tower that receives it in ED. This may be enough to get dispatcher's attention. Otherwise he can answer when he's focused on your area to see what is happening. A quick scan of the area can see what all around are up to and make it easier for them to come to a quick solution.

Thanks

Sean

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post

Having to deliberately go through a series of keystrokes to communicate lends itself to only messaging when needed, rather than continual "chatter".

BK
    It would be really nice if someone came up with a Team Speak plugin for Run 8 similar to A.C.R.E. for Arma2, which gives accurate radio communication based on radio output and los. If the cab radios were limited to 20 miles, 30 at best, a lot of that unnecessary chatter would be eliminated.