Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 41 to 46 of 46

Thread: Lazyitas

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    carmel valley, ca, us.
    Posts
    196

    Default

    Regards the general message of this thread, too many in our society are becoming lazy, entitled and demanding, and did I say ignorant? I mean really ignorant. Those who made this site the powerhouse it is should be proud of their work. It is not just those afflicted with lazy-itis who get excoriated here, but also those of us who are not high-tech masters, and I think most of us here are not high-tech savvy, including me. I have tried going to the tutorials, reading the "read-mes" and just cannot figure out what or how to do most things here....such as install a route, or worse, an activity, let alone make anything. Yes, I have received the flames for not posing a proper question, but also for my lack of understanding of the material flamers sent me to. So, as a result I rarely ask questions here, except for the most simple things....an example of my question is at the top of the MSTS board today. I realize nobody wants to walk me through a task, which is what I would need to accomplish almost anything, but that is the only way many of us here could benefit from your excellent knowledge. I keep hoping a member will move to the Monterey area and make some face to face help available. I feel pretty certain that there are a lot of guys like me out there. Just because this stuff is beyond our pay grade does not make us lazy, end of rant. AA

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Where Standard Gauge is 3 feet between the rails.
    Posts
    10,170

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Isobel View Post
    Eolsen, no offense taken, i was just having a bit of a giggle

    Your point about e-mailing across the office is one i also can't understand - my boss seems to think he can run his district from an armchair these days!! It's amazing how many e-mails seem to get lost in delivery to my computer versus when he tells me something in person - told you i was grumpy

    Izzy
    I understand perfectly. I worked at a company (Fortune 100), where we would have a conversation, come to an agreement, and then document it in and email, and the other person would reply that they agreed.

    Amazing what you forget in the "day to day" and you could go back and PROVE that you discussed it, remind yourselves of the conclusion, and any time it involved an associate, it was also CC'd to the HR department for review.

    I recall a couple of times having to discuss issues with the corporate lawyers and they would have all of those emails printed out. If you have to go to a grievance, or worse yet, court, you'd better protect your future in the company by having every miniscule thing documented.

    My boss used to end a lot of meetings and discussions with: Great! Put it in an email and send it to me!

    Robert

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    312

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by agentatascadero View Post
    Regards the general message of this thread, too many in our society are becoming lazy, entitled and demanding, and did I say ignorant? I mean really ignorant. Those who made this site the powerhouse it is should be proud of their work. It is not just those afflicted with lazy-itis who get excoriated here, but also those of us who are not high-tech masters, and I think most of us here are not high-tech savvy, including me. I have tried going to the tutorials, reading the "read-mes" and just cannot figure out what or how to do most things here....such as install a route, or worse, an activity, let alone make anything. Yes, I have received the flames for not posing a proper question, but also for my lack of understanding of the material flamers sent me to. So, as a result I rarely ask questions here, except for the most simple things....an example of my question is at the top of the MSTS board today. I realize nobody wants to walk me through a task, which is what I would need to accomplish almost anything, but that is the only way many of us here could benefit from your excellent knowledge. I keep hoping a member will move to the Monterey area and make some face to face help available. I feel pretty certain that there are a lot of guys like me out there. Just because this stuff is beyond our pay grade does not make uave to say that at one time,EVERYTHING was beyond my ability includijg s lazy, end of rant. AA
    I also do not have the greatest level of computer literacy and I do understand what you are saying.At one time EVERYTHING was beyond my ability to do,including succesfully installing MSTS. What I did was,read and research the tutorials and Stickys available and if I did not understand than I asked for assistance based on the fact that I did not understand the printed material.In most,not all I received a civil response and got the help I needed.For the rude or wise-guy responses I simply ignored it because I knew that I HAD done my homework,but did not fully understand it.The thrust of this thread is the irritation nthat people are simply not doing that and are getting combative when other people dont do THEIR homework for them as well as when assistance is given their is no thanks or even acknowledgement.I can understand your reluctance to ask for fear of getting a less than courteous reply.There is a lot that I still cant do {like Route building},extensive problem diagnostics because I do not at this time have the comprehension of computers enough to handle it.But as I said before there is a lot I can do now by simply researching the procedures.If there is something that I can assist you with,just ask without fear of incivility. Brian

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    344

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by agentatascadero View Post
    ... It is not just those afflicted with lazy-itis who get excoriated here, but also those of us who are not high-tech masters, and I think most of us here are not high-tech savvy, including me. I have tried going to the tutorials, reading the "read-mes" and just cannot figure out what or how to do most things here....such as install a route, or worse, an activity, let alone make anything. Yes, I have received the flames for not posing a proper question, but also for my lack of understanding of the material flamers sent me to. So, as a result I rarely ask questions here, except for the most simple things....an example of my question is at the top of the MSTS board today. I realize nobody wants to walk me through a task, which is what I would need to accomplish almost anything, but that is the only way many of us here could benefit from your excellent knowledge. I keep hoping a member will move to the Monterey area and make some face to face help available. I feel pretty certain that there are a lot of guys like me out there. Just because this stuff is beyond our pay grade does not make us lazy, end of rant. AA
    AA;
    I've made a couple of attempts to respond to this subject, but just couldn't get it right. Your comments pretty much nailed it for me. I haven't really received many flames, because I learned early on, to NOT post a question without a lot of detail. Alas, I have been doing a lot of lurking lately.
    But, I am definitely not lazy! I am, as you put it, 'not High-Tech Savvy'! I work on a computer all day, but that doesn't mean I'm savvy. I know just enough to get me in trouble, but not always enough to get out of it.
    I also seem to learn and understand more when I see someone else do something in front of me, and I can ask questions as we go along! Sometimes, because of ignorance or being a 'fresh pair of eyes' looking at it, I will even come up with additional or better ways to do something!
    Heck, I've even thought of contacting 'frankoburns' to set up a meeting, because how much he knows about this, and he's not too far away!

    Reading the tutorials and read-me's don't always answer all the questions I come up with as I fumble through setting something up. For example, Route-Riter is a great program, but l bet I'm only using about 10% of what it's capable of, if that much. Main reason, being a NOOB, by 'heading' only I don't completely know what most of the tabs do, and why and when it should be done. The steam4me site has a lot of great tutuorials on it, but they don't always answer the why and when. Most of what I have learned on it, is through forum discussions, and seeing when someone else uses it and why.
    I think lack of time has a lot to do with the 'Lazyitas', at least with me! With the 'rat-race' we're in, there's not a lot of time to spend. I'm lucky if I can get 20-30 minutes at a time to spend, and never get much done.
    That along with attitudes of 'I want it now', and 'Where's the start button?' (push and play) by a lot of 'Noobs' coming into this, and we all got lumped into the lazy category?

    John T

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    .
    Posts
    505

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SDCW4300 View Post
    AA;
    I've made a couple of attempts to respond to this subject, but just couldn't get it right. Your comments pretty much nailed it for me. I haven't really received many flames, because I learned early on, to NOT post a question without a lot of detail. Alas, I have been doing a lot of lurking lately.
    But, I am definitely not lazy! I am, as you put it, 'not High-Tech Savvy'! I work on a computer all day, but that doesn't mean I'm savvy. I know just enough to get me in trouble, but not always enough to get out of it.
    I also seem to learn and understand more when I see someone else do something in front of me, and I can ask questions as we go along! Sometimes, because of ignorance or being a 'fresh pair of eyes' looking at it, I will even come up with additional or better ways to do something!
    Heck, I've even thought of contacting 'frankoburns' to set up a meeting, because how much he knows about this, and he's not too far away!

    Reading the tutorials and read-me's don't always answer all the questions I come up with as I fumble through setting something up. For example, Route-Riter is a great program, but l bet I'm only using about 10% of what it's capable of, if that much. Main reason, being a NOOB, by 'heading' only I don't completely know what most of the tabs do, and why and when it should be done. The steam4me site has a lot of great tutuorials on it, but they don't always answer the why and when. Most of what I have learned on it, is through forum discussions, and seeing when someone else uses it and why.
    I think lack of time has a lot to do with the 'Lazyitas', at least with me! With the 'rat-race' we're in, there's not a lot of time to spend. I'm lucky if I can get 20-30 minutes at a time to spend, and never get much done.
    That along with attitudes of 'I want it now', and 'Where's the start button?' (push and play) by a lot of 'Noobs' coming into this, and we all got lumped into the lazy category?

    John T
    My sentiments exactly, especially the part about being lucky to get 20-30 minutes at a time to spend. To see the time frittered away trying to solve a problem (that may have a simple solution but I don't know it or how to search for the answer) is really frustrating.

    John DeLamater

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Washington, DC Area, USA
    Posts
    2,522

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SDCW4300 View Post
    AA;
    I've made a couple of attempts to respond to this subject, but just couldn't get it right. Your comments pretty much nailed it for me. I haven't really received many flames, because I learned early on, to NOT post a question without a lot of detail. Alas, I have been doing a lot of lurking lately.
    But, I am definitely not lazy! I am, as you put it, 'not High-Tech Savvy'! I work on a computer all day, but that doesn't mean I'm savvy. I know just enough to get me in trouble, but not always enough to get out of it.
    I also seem to learn and understand more when I see someone else do something in front of me, and I can ask questions as we go along! Sometimes, because of ignorance or being a 'fresh pair of eyes' looking at it, I will even come up with additional or better ways to do something!
    Heck, I've even thought of contacting 'frankoburns' to set up a meeting, because how much he knows about this, and he's not too far away!

    Reading the tutorials and read-me's don't always answer all the questions I come up with as I fumble through setting something up. For example, Route-Riter is a great program, but l bet I'm only using about 10% of what it's capable of, if that much. Main reason, being a NOOB, by 'heading' only I don't completely know what most of the tabs do, and why and when it should be done. The steam4me site has a lot of great tutuorials on it, but they don't always answer the why and when. Most of what I have learned on it, is through forum discussions, and seeing when someone else uses it and why.
    I think lack of time has a lot to do with the 'Lazyitas', at least with me! With the 'rat-race' we're in, there's not a lot of time to spend. I'm lucky if I can get 20-30 minutes at a time to spend, and never get much done.
    That along with attitudes of 'I want it now', and 'Where's the start button?' (push and play) by a lot of 'Noobs' coming into this, and we all got lumped into the lazy category?

    John T
    I too suffer from the time element and not being as computer savvy as some others, not to mention very limited resources. With work and commuting, it pretty much takes up at least half my day. Then there's the kids, all 4 of them who need attention. My wife does a lot of Print Shop and publishing with the kids, and she doesn't see the worth of me doing MSTS or FSX at all/ So 20 - 30 minutes is all I get. One glitch on the computer and I'm done for the day. I'm not lazy, if anything I'm over committed. But I do love this sim. Much easier to drive a train than to fly a plane (FSX). I wreck the plane before it gets off the runway. The train definitely goes a lot farther.
    Steve Burr, PE - Clinton, MD
    Southern Serves the South

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •