Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How-To: Install MSTS on Win. 8

Post How-To: Install MSTS on Win. 8

Recently, as in today, I was able to install MSTS on my Toshiba satelite...and all I need to do is add bin and the updates (like the GP38 and SD40 and the Class50) What I did is talk to someone from Geek Squad and he was so nice, he even wrote everything down. What he said is the following on how to install it on Win. 8

"Step 1-put the CD in the Disc drive. Step 2-press "What would you like to do with this disc" and click once on "setup". Step 3-right click on the file named "setup" and click properties, it should bring up a file that has 3 tabs, one of which should have something to do with compatibility. Step 4-click "Apply" and then double click on the "Setup" file one more time. Step 5-Install MSTS, you may need to wait a little while Step 6-click "Restart" and restart your computer"

I was able to get it to work and I can even see where I add all routes and the BIN and such...I hope this helps all with Win. 8 and MSTS and can't get it to work
    BigBoy10,
    A musician, trainiac, Pokefan, and student.
    Currently working on getting MSTS up and running again
    TS17, Trainz 12, and model railroader.

I believe there is a STICKY subject at the top of the very page where you made this post on that exact subject.

There is also the recommended install procedure at the Steam4Me site. http://msts.steam4me.net/tutorials/installing_msts.html

Also the geek squad was dead wrong if they told you to install MSTS in it's default location.
    You go takin' their advice on anything MSTS and your playin' the fool.
    Last edited by Vince; 08-29-2013 at 11:28 PM.
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

I haven't seen or heard of any help on how to install on Windows 8, only 7, Vista, and XP

Also, I said install it as you would, not in the default location...
    BigBoy10,

Quote Originally Posted by BigBoy10 View Post
    I haven't seen or heard of any help on how to install on Windows 8, only 7, Vista, and XP

Also, I said install it as you would, not in the default location...
    If you had read through the forums or searched on the subject you would have found out that the procedure is the same.

And please direct me to where you said "Install it as you would" in your post quoted below
    Your Step 5 tells me you put it in the default location.

Recently, as in today, I was able to install MSTS on my Toshiba satelite...and all I need to do is add bin and the updates (like the GP38 and SD40 and the Class50) What I did is talk to someone from Geek Squad and he was so nice, he even wrote everything down. What he said is the following on how to install it on Win. 8

"Step 1-put the CD in the Disc drive. Step 2-press "What would you like to do with this disc" and click once on "setup". Step 3-right click on the file named "setup" and click properties, it should bring up a file that has 3 tabs, one of which should have something to do with compatibility. Step 4-click "Apply" and then double click on the "Setup" file one more time. Step 5-Install MSTS, you may need to wait a little while Step 6-click "Restart" and restart your computer"

I was able to get it to work and I can even see where I add all routes and the BIN and such...I hope this helps all with Win. 8 and MSTS and can't get it to work
    I'm unable to find what you say you said but tired eyes sometimes play tricks. So help me out here, where do you say that?

Oh, and if you DID install it in the default location you have let yourself in for endless problems.
    Sorry, I didn't design the windows security system /
    Last edited by Vince; 08-29-2013 at 11:50 PM.

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,

The GEEK squad knows nothing about MSTS and it's requirements...I've been doing this for 12 years....the tutorial for Windows 7 also applies to Vista and Windows 8! If you installed it in either the program files or the X86 program files folder, get ready for endless errors, sleepless nights and get yourself a BIG bottle of Tylenol for all the headaches. Believe me when I say thousands of MSTS users can't be wrong! Good luck with your "GEEK" squad, your gonna need it...When you start getting errors, they won't be able to do a thing for you. But I'll bet WE can!
    Last edited by frankoburns; 08-30-2013 at 12:21 AM.
    I'm like an old SD9; It Growls, Howls & squeaks...but it will run forever!

Ok, no default, it would be C:\Program Files (86x)... and I installed it in C:\Program Files\Train Simulator. um...also I didn't see anything that said that, and when I tried to install it before I knew these things, it never worked. So...yea. Step 5 means that you can install it like you would have if it was XP or 7 or Vista, it could be default or it could be in D:\FavGame so...yeah. I made sure to not install it to \Program Files (86x)

So...maybe it wasn't quite as refined as it should be...but this is what I mean.-

I installed it to Win. 8 Toshiba Laptop...when I tried installing it, even with Steam4Me and TrainSim, I couldn't get it to work. I did claim that you could install it any way you want, and I installed it to C:\Program Files\Train Simulator and I need to install the Class 50 and SD40, which when I tried it wouldn't work. I have everything as usual except I normally install it and it had everything on it...everything that's on there as usual and the SD40 and Class 50...When I tried installing them, they wouldn't work no matter where they were installed, in ...\Train Simulator\Trains\Trainset ...\Train Simulator or even \Program Files so...yeah

To answer your thing Franko, the Geek Squad knew enough and this guy knew exactly what old games needed, he had to use them a bunch since he liked the old simulators.

So...yeah.
    BigBoy10,

Quote Originally Posted by BigBoy10 View Post
    Ok, no default, it would be C:\Program Files (86x)... and I installed it in C:\Program Files\Train Simulator. um...also I didn't see anything that said that, and when I tried to install it before I knew these things, it never worked. So...yea. Step 5 means that you can install it like you would have if it was XP or 7 or Vista, it could be default or it could be in D:\FavGame so...yeah. I made sure to not install it to \Program Files (86x)

So...maybe it wasn't quite as refined as it should be...but this is what I mean.-

I installed it to Win. 8 Toshiba Laptop...when I tried installing it, even with Steam4Me and TrainSim, I couldn't get it to work. I did claim that you could install it any way you want, and I installed it to C:\Program Files\Train Simulator and I need to install the Class 50 and SD40, which when I tried it wouldn't work. I have everything as usual except I normally install it and it had everything on it...everything that's on there as usual and the SD40 and Class 50...When I tried installing them, they wouldn't work no matter where they were installed, in ...\Train Simulator\Trains\Trainset ...\Train Simulator or even \Program Files so...yeah

To answer your thing Franko, the Geek Squad knew enough and this guy knew exactly what old games needed, he had to use them a bunch since he liked the old simulators.

So...yeah.
    Whatever..it's obvious from the tone of your post, you still know nothing and its quite obvious you didn't follow the tutorial when you "used" the steam4me instruction....You seem the type who always thinks he knows more than those teaching him...good for you! and By the way, (notice no abbreviations), It's MR.BURNS to you!
    I'm like an old SD9; It Growls, Howls & squeaks...but it will run forever!

SO I Other Words, you never said what you said. It's not nice to tell lies on the net cause you ALWAYS get caught. Just look att all the politicians it took down (a good thing btw) but.. . .

Dont get too shocked now when I tell you that #1. Frank is dead on and #2. the same security restrictions also apply the the \PROGRAM FILES\ folder! The folder where you have installed MSTS Duhhh?

You are certainly showing/allowing youself to be played the fool by the geek whatevers.

Your FIRST question to them should have been; Do you have ANY experience with MSTS? If the answer is/was no, then you, my friend, ARE screwed!!

You got in Program Files? Ha! Just wait until you attempt (failed attempt btw) to install and or use any MSTS add-ons. Sorry ....

You need to go to the Steam4Me site that has been recommended to you. Win7 instructions also apply to Win8.
    And for heavins sake, search this site for Win8 and read what other have to say.
    Last edited by Vince; 08-30-2013 at 12:57 AM.

Whatever you say...and I'm soRRY if i'm sounding like that, not meaning to just in pain from surgery...
    BigBoy10,

alright, 1-call him mr. burns or franko, I just said franko because I didn't want to type it all out since it's late...2. no need to get angry over it, jeez...just saying that I was able to install it good enough and when I tried using Steam4Me and Trainsim it wouldn't work...no matter what I tried. I was just asking that man if he could help me and he said he could and I was able to install it with the way he said, not the way TS and S4M said...It could be a failed attempt, or a successful attempt. and I also thought this was supposed to be a nice group of people who help not yell and claim that they know exactly what is right and what is wrong. I'm not saying that i'm right or wrong, i'm just saying that I was able to get it to work on Win. 8 and it worked enough, I was able to use PF before on a desktop when using MSTS on Win. XP and on a laptop with Win. XP as well...
    BigBoy10,