Thread: Navigation

Default Navigation

Hi all, I'm new here and although I have lurked for a few years on the board I recently got run 8 after many years of MSTS and need a little advice. I am happy with running the loco's now but the navigation side I am struggling with. After just pressing F6 to display track names on MSTS I am finding it hard to fully grasp the dispatchers board and mostly where I am in relation to it.
    You wouldn't think my grandad was a signaller for British Rail for 50 years lol, maybe I should show him.

I can try and help you out here. Needles has another extra feature but I'll start with the basics first.

Teleporting like the USS Enterprise will send you to any control point marked with either N for Normal or R for Reverse. But to do this make sure your screen is in Full Screen Mode hitting F4 to cycle. Take the cursor from your mouse and place it over the switch you would like to go to. You can then hit the mouse wheel to teleport or the space bar. This will ensure you are at the location you want to be at.

If your unfamiliar where you are say after you have spawned a train there are a few things that can help. First to get familiar with what areas look like when you start run 8, select the trains called EXTRA BOARD. BTW you want to do this in MP anyways if joining a server.

Once you are at a location you can rotate around by holding the right mouse button and turning. This will give you an idea of what an area looks like. W and S is used for forward and backward walking while A and D is for side to side. If this is too slow you can hold SHIFT to run or CTRL to go even faster. Need to get airborne SHIFT F12 removes your anchor to the ground and allows you to use E for up and D for down to fly in the air. All the other keys work the same way and F12 gets you back on solid ground. If your not sure of the direction your heading hit SHIFT Z. This will show you the time of day in the sim as well as your HDG for heading.

Keep in mind many trains in Run8 spawn in a yard or off the CTC screen. Flying around as above will get you familiar with certain areas. The Extra Board spawns don't actually spawn a train but take you to normal crew change locations. Each route also has documentation as to where the default trains spawn. Other servers have documentation elsewhere on web pages etc. DAMS for example has a link to a Google document. My server on the home page.

There is also some good documents available for maps at run8depot.com by Nolatron. I have a map on Mojave but is good for switching only and really not as detailed as these maps.

Hope that helps

Sean

PS forgot to mention SHIFT F8 on Needles Sub only will give you mileage and station name signs. It works like the F6 in MSTS and can be used to toggle on and off. Mojave wasn't built with that technology at the time, but you'll get used to it.
    Last edited by SurvivorSean; 09-03-2013 at 07:51 PM. Reason: What Needles Has

Thank you very much survivorsean that clears things up a fair bit. I am really enjoying the sim and want to try out the MP but just need to learn my way around a bit first.

Totally understandable, and glad I could help. Things are pretty quiet on my server lately, so when your ready feel free to check me out.

Thanks

Sean

Something that I didn't see Sean mention was the External Dispatcher program that can be found at the Run8 Depot here: http://www.run8depot.com/downloads/dispatcher/ . Download to the location of your choice on your computer, unzip and run the program. You will have to go into Run8 Shift+F1 menu and check the allow external dispatcher box. Using the External Dispatch program will allow you to see your train and what direction it is going. You can use it to set a path for your train and clear switches and signals.
    Doug B.
    Eugene, Oregon, USA - Pacific Standard Time ( - 8:00 UTC )
    3.4 ghz Intel i7-3770 quad core processor, 8 gigs RAM, 2 gig AMD Radeon HD 7850

Hi Doug, I downloaded the external dispatcher programme and its excellent, thanks for the advice. I am pretty confident navigating now on both the mojave and the needles routes so expect me soon sean

Glad to see it's working out, looking forward to see you.

Thanks

Sean