Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MSTS Memory Managment

Default MSTS Memory Managment

Hello everyone,

I know I made similar threads before, but now I have come to the appropriate conclusion. Whenever I run activities, any activity, (not my own), MSTS crashes at a random point somewhere. It has nothing to do tiles, collisions, etc. The problem is due to poor memory managment. I'm running Windows Vista Service Pack 2 32 bit. I know for a fact that my computer is capable to handle the activities I play and to prove it, I get on average 20-50 fps depending on the area and secenry. I have already tried the -mem:1024 and -mem:2048 trick but that doesnt seem to prevent random crashes. I also tried the LAA trick but got the same results, nothing. So now I'm stuck, is there any other way to enjoy MSTS without it freezing at crashing on me? My path is:

C:\MSTS

Has anyone else experienced my problem?

Hi,
    First, you didn't mention if you'd installed the MSTSBin patch - one of its benefits is improved memory management.
    Second, it may only make a small difference, but have you tried the improved soundcfg.dat file? One version is available with the Bin patch and another on the Steam4Me site.
    Third, I don't have first hand knowledge of Vista, but understand that Windows 7 is a much better operating system (I run Win 7 64 bit).

It may be useful if you'd post your system specs.

Cheers,
    Ged

Yes, I have Bin installed, lastest one, 1.8
    second, yes tried the soundcfg.dat file, no difference
    third,

4 GB RAM
    160 GB HDD
    256 MB ATI Radeon Graphics
    Intel Core 2 Duo 2.53 (2 CPUs)

"It has nothing to do tiles, collisions, etc. The problem is due to poor memory management"

Why/how have you come to this conclusion?
    Neil

Here at home, in the railroad mayhem capital of the world.

Every activity crashes at some random place for every possible route I try. I'm assuming its poor memory managment becasue what else could it possibly be?

Crash to desktop, or simply freezing in place?
    Have you tried with all default equipment, on default routes - or add-on routes without any AI or loose consists (like explore mode)?
    Neil

Here at home, in the railroad mayhem capital of the world.

"At the same random place"....Time in the activity? Miles traveled? Is it just on one particular route or different routes? can you be a little more specific as to what you mean by "random place"?
    I'm like an old SD9; It Growls, Howls & squeaks...but it will run forever!

By random, I mean at some point the activity will crash, it is unpredictable when. It could be 5 minutes into the activity or 2 hours into it. It freezes completly for about a minute and then it crashes to my desktop. This happens with every activity and also in explore mode. All my routes have this problem.

I can confirm that in my experience, MSTS has big memory management issues., that is difficult to solve.