Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! How do I repaint locomotives?

Default Help! How do I repaint locomotives?

Could any user help me (11railfan) how to repaint locomotives installed in MSTS.

Could I repaint also the add-on locomotives here (E.g. SD40-2 (CN/IC), C40-8M) w/o permission? Or I need to ask permission from the owners.

You start by reading the STICKIED topics above...
    Then you read: http://www.uktrainsim.com/index.php?...der=texturing1
    And you read some more: http://msts.steam4me.net/tutorials/index.html#textures
    I'm like an old SD9; It Growls, Howls & squeaks...but it will run forever!

Quote Originally Posted by 11railfan View Post
    Could any user help me (11railfan) how to repaint locomotives installed in MSTS.

Could I repaint also the add-on locomotives here (E.g. SD40-2 (CN/IC), C40-8M) w/o permission? Or I need to ask permission from the owners.
    You MUST have permission from the original owners to create a repaint and to release it to the community. You must give FULL credits to the original owners/resources/ETC. for anything that you did not create or invent yourself. Make note of that stuff as you go.

For further information, and assistance, please read the stickies. There is tons of information and tutorials found with in them, that has been gathered for over 12 years. Members here are NOT going to spend 12 more years re-typing all of that information here...They are too busy running trains.
    Last edited by MCDemuth; 09-10-2013 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Stating The Obvious

I hope you will both give heed to what Frank writes about doing your own research first before asking questions as a matter of respect -- and I hope you won't be put off by this reception. Repainting is a whole new world of fun and artistry and fulfillment and as a repainter I would just say *welcome!* I am glad for your interest.

You can also find some good tutorials at steam4me.com

In brief, repainting works as follows:
    - converting the .ace file that you want to repaint to a .tga (or .bmp) file, opening it in a graphics program, making changes, saving and converting the file back to an .ace file for use in msts or Open rails.
    - changing the names of files to reflect changes you made, including changing the references to those files in other files and changing certain information in the .wag or .eng files to reflect changes you made.

For a graphics program I use photoshop. Which is the best, but expensive. There is the free GIMP program that is perhaps not as easy. But it's free.

Making nice graphics is a whole subject in itself. I have found making msts repaints to be an excellent teacher. I didn't know a lot when I started, but I learned. I had the advantage of a sweetheart who knows photoshop really well. But I also learned by finding a big fat book in the library and reading it. The advantage of Photoshop and GIMP is layer files, so for example you can desaturate the original image (make black and white) and then laying a color shape over it (or part of it) that will change the color of what's underneath like a transparency.

As for permissions . . . yes, before you distribute other people's work (which is what the rolling stock that you modify is), you need their permission (which sometimes is given without you having to ask in a "readme" file in the rolling stock package. If you just make repaints for you own use, you can do whatever you want, no permissions needed. I have found most authors of rolling stock to be very gracious in granting permission, although there are a few who are hard to get ahold of. Nobody has ever refused me, although since they are the author it's their right if they want to. When I was starting, I was a little scared to ask - didn't want to be rejected or my work to be judged unworthy or something, but it's become more routine and is a matter of respect.

Christopher

Here's my questions:

1. How do I convert .bmp file to .ace?
    2. If I repaint the default locomotives, is it OK w/o permission? Am doing a BNSF 8010 renumber to BNSF 1661 using Paint.

Download Aceitv1.3.4 in the file library here. It also has TGAtools built in. Learn it and read the manual. You can repaint any default stuff from the game and don't need permission. You do need permission if you use someone's else product.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [URL="https://www.facebook.com/ken.plaza.9"]My Facebook Page
    [/URL][URL="http://jeffreywimberly.proboards.com/"]Rails of the World Forum
    [/URL][URL="http://frankoburns.proboards.com/"]Mophouse-MLTDownloads Froum[/URL]

Or you can use TGATool2 to change formats. That's what I use and I like it.

You can repaint anything you want if it's only for your personal use. Permission comes into play if you distribute it. (Sharing screenshots of a repaint is also a bit touchy).

Default equipment is good practice. You will find, after getting a sense of what else is out there, that practically anything else will be better (more detailed, etc). Some of the default rolling stock is cringe-worthy.

Christopher

I would also suggest that whatever graphics editor you use, Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, etc, that you use Google or Bing to find other web sites that offer tutorials on those specific programs and learn some basic techniques like using layers, shading, and keyboard shortcuts that will help you. You will not learn all of this overnight!!!! Give yourself time and PATIENCE to learn! Start simple...change numbers on a freight car or engine for starters...and use the search function on this particular forum for many tricks and tips and answers.

What you will spend the most time on is learning how to create realistic light and shadows as needed to create the un-modeled details such as rivets, joints and weld lines. This takes practice. Also, there is a reason that you want to use a tool that is better than MSPAINT. You want a tool that will let you work on multiple texture layers with control over opacity. This allows you to control how things like dust, soot, sand, rust etc show up without impacting your "basecoat". See 3D trains website (www.3dtrains.com) for some ideas on how to use layers when repainting.

My website (below) has also been helpful for people wanting to save time on hand painted logo's and reporting marks versus trying to alter a photograph for skinning.
    http://www.railsimstuff.com
    3D Canvas/Crafter and Blender User
    formerly The Keystone Works (All Permissions Granted)
    In IRC at freenode #msts

Quote Originally Posted by conductorchris View Post
    Or you can use TGATool2 to change formats. That's what I use and I like it.

You can repaint anything you want if it's only for your personal use. Permission comes into play if you distribute it. (Sharing screenshots of a repaint is also a bit touchy).

Default equipment is good practice. You will find, after getting a sense of what else is out there, that practically anything else will be better (more detailed, etc). Some of the default rolling stock is cringe-worthy.

Christopher
    I used TGATool2 to change the file extension from .bmp to .ace.

Quote Originally Posted by Salsocided View Post
    Start simple...change numbers on a freight car or engine for starters...and use the search function on this particular forum for many tricks and tips and answers.
    In my case, I am re-numbering the default SD40-2 from 8010 to 1661.