Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: World of Subways 4 Definitely in Development

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    Having read some of the "negative" reviews on Steam I'm now going to exercise a more cautious approach to this. It sounds from what people are saying, despite the good graphics TML have once again dropped the ball when it comes to physics both acceleration, braking and movement inertia.

Past experience with WOS3 showed that TML adopted a rather defensive stance in the face of valid criticism so unlikely such aspects would be fixed in a future patch if they are not prepared to concede there might be errors.
    Your criticisms are well founded. They added cab sway in a recent update but then subsequently added a slider because the sway was so outlandish and not accurate. Some of the physics is good (like coming up and out of Hunters Point) but on the other hand inertia and braking are wildly unrealistic. They've added what they call an aggro-mode to measure your stopping/acceleration skills but it doesn't mean much when you can stop an 11 car/several hundred ton train on a dime, does it? The thing that is frustrating about TML is they just don't listen to feedback and they don't beta test or QA anything. There are many disgruntled folks who have problems installing or even running the sim. (Take a look at the forum) I think there needs to be a shake up in the TML management structure because these guys are not responsive and they get defensive when there are issues. Well, at 34.99 USD you should expect people would be disgruntled when things don't work right. Don't get me wrong, I like the sim but it still has a way to go before being where it should be. Next time - if there is a next time for TML - beta test the product and get feedback or get QA in to test it.

Any more thoughts on the current state of WOS4 or improvements, as I see it is slightly discounted in the current Steam sale. Well it's either that or Soldier Summit for TS2015, so just weighing the odds at present.
    Vern.

Quick necro...

Saw this was on sale over the Easter period so having just got a refund on a football (soccer) management game that didn't shape up, decided to take the plunge.

Overall it does seem better than previous instalments in the series. The graphics and atmosphere are excellent, on a par with the best that DTG now produce (and put Trainz to shame). I've only done a twilight drive so far and thoroughly impressed with that aspect. Using the depot adds a certain interactive element though it's not exactly GTA.

The timetable mode is an excellent idea, similar to WOS 1, pick your starting location and time, then at the end of the run turn back on another rostered working. However it doesn't appear you can actually save your progress and continue to work through the roster on a cumulative basis. Also not clear is what happens if you decide to alight from your train and go for a walk around the station or city area. Is the train still there or does the AI take over?

Physics and sound... well the former is slightly better than expected but throttle suffers from the speed "lock" syndrome normally associated with DTG DMU's. And the brakes stop you on a dime if put in Step 4. Traction sounds seem minimal - I've watched YouTube footage of NYC cab rides and the "electro-thrash" is far nosier and pronounced than TML's interpretation. The horn sounds more like a European item than a US subway car. Track sound and squeal is good, though.

Definitely a keeper, although the long term appeal of driving such a short linear route probably means it's a go to time filler rather than repeat play.
    Vern.