Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: World of Subways 4 Definitely in Development

I grew up riding that exact line, used to be called the IRT Flushing line, from the time I was about 6 years old. I always enjoyed riding it, and there was always alot to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Captainbob View Post
    I grew up riding that exact line, used to be called the IRT Flushing line, from the time I was about 6 years old. I always enjoyed riding it, and there was always alot to see.
    They've done a fine job so far but there are a LOT of inaccuracies both technical and historical. The most obvious is the paint scheme of the era. It is totally wrong if it is set in the 1970s. I rode the line during that era as well but I wish they would be faithful to the period of time once they release it. Short of some subway simulators that are used for training purposes, this is one of the most impressive renderings of the NYC subway system ever seen.

My only niggling concern will be they have addressed the physics issues that have blighted previous editions. In WOS3 (Circle Line), for example, releasing the brakes on a falling gradient actually caused the train to roll backwards... uphill! I'm fairly certain when taken to task the developers dismissed the complaints as irrelevant.

Its out and so far it looks good. I like it.

I love the guy's narration!

Looking like a must have purchase. The interactive elements are something other sims could use...

Quote Originally Posted by trainutz View Post
    They've done a fine job so far but there are a LOT of inaccuracies both technical and historical. The most obvious is the paint scheme of the era. It is totally wrong if it is set in the 1970s. I rode the line during that era as well but I wish they would be faithful to the period of time once they release it. Short of some subway simulators that are used for training purposes, this is one of the most impressive renderings of the NYC subway system ever seen.
    I hate to criticize, but as you said there are a LOT of errors here on the technical and historical sides. I know, as I live in NYC and rode the 7 train many times to Shea Stadium for Mets games during the time period shown.

First issue is the paint scheme, as you mentioned. In the 1970's, we had the graffiti scourge. The "Redbirds" shown here actually came later, after the yards were finally protected from the so-called "graffiti artists."

On the technical side, the brake handle is way too close to the throttle. Also, when the brakes are released, the brake handle should point towards "nine" in relation to a clock face. The brake handle operation should be similar to what's shown in WOS Volume 1, PATH.

Let's hope the creators fix a few things here, so that we can have an A+ simulator.

Rob

Having read some of the "negative" reviews on Steam I'm now going to exercise a more cautious approach to this. It sounds from what people are saying, despite the good graphics TML have once again dropped the ball when it comes to physics both acceleration, braking and movement inertia.

Past experience with WOS3 showed that TML adopted a rather defensive stance in the face of valid criticism so unlikely such aspects would be fixed in a future patch if they are not prepared to concede there might be errors.

I bought WOS1 and 3 and it is a shame that TML didn't spend a bit more time on the Physics. I have a watch on this before I take the plunge. I have watched the video on UKTrainsim and a clip on UTube of the real line. TML have done a really good job of recreating the line from my point of view.
    Regards Stu

That's the dilemma Stu, it looks damn good but I still want to drive with a semblance of reasonable physics. Ah well, maybe one for the Xmas sale. In the meantime, Cities Skyline looks a better target for my pocket money.

I see on the Steam Community forum that TML are going to work on the physics issue. If this happens I will be investing in WOS4
    Regards Stu