Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: MSTS menus scrambled (Windows 8)

Quote Originally Posted by OTTODAD View Post
    Does anybody else who is running MSTS or MSTSBin on a WIN-8 laptop that uses integrated graphics have this problem ?
    No problems with this system:
    Code:
    ------------------
    System Information
    ------------------
    Time of this report: 10/5/2013, 09:53:14
       Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.130801-1533)
               Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
           System Model: HP G62 Notebook PC
                   BIOS: Default System BIOS
              Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II P320 Dual-Core Processor (2 CPUs), ~2.1GHz
                 Memory: 3072MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 2810MB RAM
              Page File: 2013MB used, 3606MB available
            Windows Dir: C:\Windows
        DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
       User DPI Setting: 120 DPI (125 percent)
     System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
        DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
         DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode
    ---------------
    Display Devices
    ---------------
              Card name: AMD M880G with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250       
           Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
              Chip type: ATI display adapter (0x9712)
               DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
             Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9712&SUBSYS_1444103C&REV_00
         Display Memory: 1401 MB
       Dedicated Memory: 252 MB
          Shared Memory: 1149 MB
           Current Mode: 1366 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)
           Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
            Output Type: Internal
            Driver Name: atiu9p64.dll,atiuxp64.dll,atiu9pag,atiuxpag,atiumdva,atiumd6a.cap,atitmm64.dll
    Driver File Version: 8.14.0001.6143 (English)
         Driver Version: 8.770.2.1000
    choochoo!

Mmmmm, yes, but the problem is with Win 8, not Win 7.
    Beer is not a matter of life or death, it is much more serious than that.

I'm having the exact same problems on my Windows 7 laptop with Intel Integrated Graphics 4000. Tried rolling back to the oldest drivers available on the Intel website, no dice.

What absolutely kills me is that MSTS used to run perfectly fine on this very machine from right when I got it back in September of last year right up until my hard drive failed back in June and I had to reinstall everything.

Where Standard Gauge is 3 feet between the rails.

I would suggest that if you ran the video profiler, or started from the Launch menu, delete the MPROFILE.DAT file and see how it works. I ran the profiler on my machine that I've been using MSTS trouble-free for six months and made the mistake of running the profiler, and it was nothing but crash after crash after crash. After I deleted the file, MSTS was back to normal.

I believe that since MSTS cannot identify modern video cards, it misidentifies them and tries to run something that doesn't exist.

Robert

Hi Robert,
    I believe it's the mprofile.exe that writes a MDRIVERS.DAT file.

There was a post here a while back that suggested some changes to the MDRIVERS.DAT file but I don't remember the details.
    I DO remember I made the suggested changes and DID experience less video related crashing. (Nvidia 6200 512MB)

I'll try to find the post . . . .
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    I believe it's the mprofile.exe that writes a MDRIVERS.DAT file.
    Yes and just ran mine to see what it does, not having run it for years !

This is on my WIN-XP SP3 Phenom-II quad, 4GB RAM and a GTX 560Ti 1MB and never had a video problem using this driver since 2001: 614.0010.7246 and not after running the mprofile.exe which created a new mdrivers.dat file, overwriting the old one.

If it works then don't change it and if it ain't broke then don't fix it !

MPROFILE.jpg

Hi. Msts work fine on my Dell Inspiron 3721 Notebook with Windows 8 installed according to Steam4Me website. Computer has an Intel Graphics Card. When computer was updated to Windows 8.1, I got the jumbled Alphanumeric syndrome as explained above. Searching for fonts on the machine I discovered that the original Windows\Fonts became Windows.old\Fonts and a new Windows/Fonts was created. This may be the reason because MSTS is looking for the original Fonts folder and finds it cannot read the new Fonts folder correctly. I am currently scrathing my head on how to fix this. Appriciate suggestions.

HI hhtucker1023,
    Welcome to the Forum
    Windows.old is usually created when a new OS is installed over an already installed version.
    MSTS won't be looking for its fonts in that FONTS folder! It has its own FONTS folder, which is in the MSTS root folder (by default, this is Train Simulator).

This problem with Windows 8 / Intel integrated graphics has been reported several times before - I don't think there is a solution at present, other than to install a separate graphics card.

Cheers,
    Ged

Hi Ged,
    Thanks for the response. Reading thru this thread, I found that a common problem was with the display adapters. When I upgraded from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 the jumble alphanumerics appear on my Menu screens. I went to the device manager on my machine, open displays, and click the properties tab onIntel (R) HD Graphics. Then clicked the drivers tab and found that the drivers was updated the same time I updated to 8.1. The new version number was 10.18.10.3316 dated 10/1/2013. I then rolled it back to version 9.17.10.2867 dated 9/26/2012. Test MSTS and it removed the scrambled alphanumerics and the Menu, driveraids and features readable as it should be. If any body want to try this, of course you do it at your own risk.
    Harry

Mine doesn't work even in compatibility mode (XP SP2) + running as admin + nVidia as default graphics processor for it.
    I have a GTX880M, i7 4700HQ (2.4GHz) 8GB RAM and approx. 750GB HDD space left.