Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Roads

Default New Roads

Hello!! Recently I've read that it was necessary to have XTRACKS & NEWROADS for some activities. XTRACKS was succesfully instaled.

I'm not sure about NEWROADS though. Am I supposed to have a NEW ROADS folder in my main MSTS folder? Or where will I find it?. I searched for it but will only appear in "download" section of my computer where it was downloaded from this site. I followed the instructions: I extracted the NEWROADS zip file to a folder on my desk-top (or" anywhere safe") I then selected "RUN" and after the files were allegedly placed I received the message that "NEW ROADS WAS SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED"-Yet I can't find it. Help would be appreciated;THANKS!!

Another question. In the readme files of XTRACKS, I read that I must use horace after creating a route with xtracks. What is Horace??

Also on some activities and downloaded programs for MSTS I get a .DOC file. Part of it is written in computer gibberish language and part is in written English language. Am I supposed to put them in a special place to read it in a normal manner:IE; ONE DOCUMENT IS THE MANUAL FOR THE MSTSBN FILE and placed in the main MSTS folder.Even though there are sections where it is printed in the English language,a large part of it is in computer gibberish.What must I do to utilize this manual properly? THANKS!!

Alex

Dont worry,NewRoads is installed. If you want to make sure than simply run a route that requires it.If it runs,you are good to go.Horace is a Utilty that the creator used to solve dynamic track problems and tsection problems.It doesnt come into play unless you wish to route-build or have a very old version of XTRACKS.Im sorry,on the last one Alex I am going to have to go back into my quite lenghty installation and try to find it and give you an answer.Been a long time since I went through the inner workings of the Installation. Take Care Brian

Hi Alex,
    Regarding your last point.
    The readme for MSTSBin is in Word format and won't display properly using WordPad. You can get a free Word file viewer here : http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...ails.aspx?id=4 ; this shows the file correctly!

Cheers,
    Ged

If Newroads or Newrds have been installed then you will see shape files prefixed like so in your Global\Shapes folder:

br, cr, dirt, dr, fwy, etc.

However, there seems to be a problem with V4 of newrds, trying to install if after having downloaded it !

Hi,
    PLEASE don't use the file newrds.zip from the file library! It's designated as v3.2, includes tsection.dat #33 and doesn't contain the BAB shapes.

Being in the UK, I use the version from UKTS (file ID 6254), however, the file newroads.zip in the file library here is identical, so should work without problem.

Cheers,
    Ged

I have before reported a problem downloading the newroads.zip shown below which could be a false positive and after allowing it installed it into a temporary folder.

Already having its 2007 V4 installed I am not going to risk using this one and to be on the safe side shall restore yesterday's Norton Ghost Image of my WIN-XP system drive C:\ !

ThanK-you for your replies gentlemen!! It is much appreciated!!

Alex

Running the HORACE utility on a route is ONLY required if the route was built using the original default GLOBAL\TSection.dat file.

The HORACE utility re-indexes a routes Dynamic Track and replaces the ROUTES local TSection.dat file to conform to the replacement GLOBAL\TSection.dat file that was first distributed when X-Tracks was released.

Looking at a routes local TSection.dat file: If the files first tracksection looks like this SectionCurve ( 0 ) 376 8 0 then this route needs the HORACE utility run if one wants to modify the routes track or roads with the XTracks add-on.

A route either BUILT with X-Tracks OR a route that has been 'HORACED" looks like this:SectionCurve ( 0 ) 40000 3.96 0

i.e.the LOCAL (routes) tsection.dat first tracksection record
    index 376 is the original GLOBAL\TSection.dat
    index 40000 is the xtracks standardized GLOBAL\TSection.dat

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Vince; 12-02-2013 at 07:10 PM.
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Quote Originally Posted by slipperman View Post
    Hi Alex,
    Regarding your last point.
    The readme for MSTSBin is in Word format and won't display properly using WordPad. You can get a free Word file viewer here : http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...ails.aspx?id=4 ; this shows the file correctly!

Cheers,
    Ged
    Thank-you Ged for the site referral for this Microsoft Office Viewer. It was successfully installed and finally,finally, I can read these DOC files without any headaches LOL! Thank-you!!

Alex

Otto, when my Anti-virus program did a scan it deleted that Newroads zip. My question is where are the .ace files for newroads?
    Ken