Thread: MSTS and Surface Pro 2

Default MSTS and Surface Pro 2

Hi there

Has anyone tried running MSTS on a Surface Pro 2 (the one with Windows 8.1 on it)?

Thanks

Bert

No, and I would not even try it.
    https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/signaturepics/sigpic164208_1.gif

Quote Originally Posted by GoGoran View Post
    No, and I would not even try it.
    Why not?

mnjrr Guest

Hello,

I too am interested in getting a Surface tablet to run a slim downed version of MSTS, if possible, and to go online while traveling. Reading early reviews of the various Surface tablets, I am under the impression that the devices do not have a CD/DVD drive. If the Surface tablets do not have CD/DVD drives, then I would have to install MSTS via a Zip drive.

Quote Originally Posted by mnjrr View Post
    Hello,

I too am interested in getting a Surface tablet to run a slim downed version of MSTS, if possible, and to go online while traveling. Reading early reviews of the various Surface tablets, I am under the impression that the devices do not have a CD/DVD drive. If the Surface tablets do not have CD/DVD drives, then I would have to install MSTS via a Zip drive.
    Walter,

I have a friend who got a Surface 2 Pro, 512GB, 8G RAM back in early November. He loaded MSTS via the USB port with a External DVD-ROM according to the Steam-4-Me tutorial and it loaded fine. Went to fire it up and at first the screen was distorted then black. Happened every time he started MSTS. The problem he found out was with the Intel Graphics HD 4400 chipset inside. Seems MSTS didn't like it (at least on his Surface).

Then figuring the firmware update would help out in a way. It killed his battery life more than half then it turned into a brick. Doesn't even turn on now. So I would wait to see if the update for the firmware after the new year helps and check out forums on the Surface how older Windows programs are working with it.
    - Mark -

That or get a CD drive that plugs in via USB port. The Surface series have two USB 2.0 slots and I believe one USB 3.0 slot.

Though here's the way I view it. The 64gb version of the Surface Pro 2 costs $899. That can get you a fairly decent HP or comparable laptop. The 512gb version goes for $1800. That could get you a medium-high end gaming laptop that could potentially run MSTS at 30(+)fps. The 64gb and 128gb versions of the Surface Pro 2 come with only 4gb of RAM, the 256gb and 512gb versions come with 8gb of RAM.

These are not designed for the archaic gaming that is MSTS that requires a lot of RAM to make it look decent and run at an acceptable level of FPS. They are very good devices for every day computing and maybe some non-intensive gaming apps.

Keep in mind one thing: It's a tablet. It may have a computer operating system, but it's a tablet none the less. I too was thinking of getting one for school myself and possibly adding MSTS or something similar to it. I may still get one for my school stuff, but I don't think it would be the best choice to run MSTS on. Unless you've already purchased one, I'd honestly just stick with a good laptop (preferably one with a non-integrated graphics card.) That's just my two cents.
    Thom
    <b><font size=1><font color=Navy><a href=http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t159/CRQ5508/Random%20Stuff/CRQ5508.jpg target=_blank>http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t...ff/CRQ5508.jpg</a></font></font></b>
    Norfolk Southern: It looks like Darth Vader on rails to me.

13 year old software isn't going to play very well on a tablet architecture type system. Try Open Rails instead.
    Just say NO to Fictional Railroad Foaming...

I see the Christmas spirit has evaporated around here...