Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Archived KLW .DST files gradually being released at KLW TrainSim

Default Archived KLW .DST files gradually being released at KLW TrainSim

Seeing as I moved on from MSTS content creation long ago - I'm lucky to have time to do the website, much less packaging - I figure the time has come to release some of my Train Sim Modeler .DST project files so that the rest of the community can put them to use:

http://kurtkaminer.com/klw_tsmdst.html

I was able to package three individual models last night - relative completion ranges from completely unmapped and unfinished models (the C44-9W and C40-W), unmapped models with some mapped common parts (BL36PH), and finished models for modification (Comet V coach):

The KLW GP series will be next, but it'll be a downright pain to pack it. Bear with me on that. The MP36PH will be one of the releases as well, seeing as someone could chop it with a GP40PH-2C to create the MP32PH-Q.

Enjoy.

-Kurt
    Last edited by TrirailF40PHL; 02-07-2014 at 11:41 PM.

Where Standard Gauge is 3 feet between the rails.

Kurt, considering all the work you put into some of these models to get them to work in MSTS, you would love to work with OR where polys aren't an issue, and models just work.

For instance, from last Veteran's Day:

Open Rails 2013-11-10 08-17-56.jpg

Robert

Kurt, your departure from the train sim community was a great loss but thank you for all you did at the time, there were so many nice models that I still enjoy running. Good luck on what ever you are doing a present.

Good luck in the new venture. Your models will delite people for some time to come, because of your hard work in MSTS. Hopefully some of the great artists in the hobby will take what you started and make you proud of what they do with your work.

Sorry to here about you leaving MSTS, you gave us models that were not available anywhere else, of great artistry as well.

I'm happy you're reuploading your stock. There was so much I wanted from you that I thought I would never get.

Thank you, Kurt
    Christopher

Thank you for the kind words, gentlemen - much appreciated.

Robert, on my last trip around here (about a year or two ago), I discovered the progress with OpenRails. Not long afterwards, I switched to it permanently. Nevertheless, I believe in backwards compatibility - Polymaster still has its place.

Back to the .DST department: Somehow, I was able to put the 28-pack (28 .DST files with 87 associated texture files, not including the transparent .ACE files that I include) of GP40/49/60's together and uploaded tonight. Same URL as before: http://kurtkaminer.com/klw_tsmdst.html

Christer Tepper around here still? I dare say that GP40-2LW ought to be of interest to him.

Only one of my .DST files has been skipped - an SP version of the GP40X. I think the Pyle lights and trucks are .DSTs provided by forum member therock - originally a FreightAnim for SLI models. There is a second .DST paired with this one - definitely not one of mine - which has SP radiator shrouds and other specific Espee GP40X details.

At any rate, I don't have his permission to do a full .DST release on this one, unless he happens to chime in here with an affirmative on it:

EDIT: F40PHL-2 .DST has been released as well. How ironic that the one locomotive that I learned 3D modeling for became the one that received the least amount of attention all these years:

-Kurt
    Last edited by TrirailF40PHL; 02-07-2014 at 11:42 PM.

Good Lord, Kurt! I need to learn TSM now...
    "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today." - James Dean
    calrouteprojectmstsorts.weebly.com/
    https://cprrorts.weebly.com/
    Cheers, S. J. Hjellum

Quote Originally Posted by demando View Post
    Good Lord, Kurt! I need to learn TSM now...
    Be forewarned - the carbody units are the farthest thing you can get from a TSM beginner model. They're probably as complex (given TSM's limitations) as a diesel model can get in the program.

The GP40s are easier, but the joined cab-walkway design can be quite a handful. If I'm not mistaken, all of my later models had at least two parts entirely dependent on each other. The slightest of modifications would require joining the parts, snapping the joined parts to a very fine grid (for previously joined parts, 0.001-0.005* - always make sure to double-check that all edges have joined correctly by viewing the part w/o textures and with poly smoothing on), performing the modification, re-joining, snapping to the grid again (joining points manually for more difficult modifications), and then splitting once again.

A royal pain, but there's no other way to do it right.

-Kurt

*Jens-Chris Baerenz taught me the point-joining trick, from which I found that I could split the parts later to create proper edges between smoothed and un-smoothed objects while retaining a perfect, watertight gap. I'll forever be grateful for this tip - without it, building professional-looking models in TSM is impossible. Everything I built prior to knowing this was a toy in a simulator.
    Last edited by TrirailF40PHL; 02-07-2014 at 11:30 PM.

Well, if it's for something quasi-simple, like a General Electric 45 Ton Switcher (or those models based off same body), it shouldn't be too difficult to due, since it's a center-cab. Thoughts?
    That's just one project. Another I have on the drawing table is some SP Bi-Level Coaches, as used in the Peninsula Commute in San Francisco.
    "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today." - James Dean
    calrouteprojectmstsorts.weebly.com/
    https://cprrorts.weebly.com/
    Cheers, S. J. Hjellum