Thread: Win 8.1 capitalation problem

Default Win 8.1 capitalation problem

It took me 4 attempts but I now have MSTS with bin working on my new tower. It is an I7 6 core with 32 gb of ram with windows 8.1 64 bit. It is setup for photography. But a little fun with MSTS with this PC is not out of the question. My problem is with routes that moved over to this PC from my win 7 32 bit laptop. Route Riter says everything is OK with global shape files on the win 7 laptop. With windows 8.1, Route Riter gives me a list of missing global shapes. When I check the files, they are all there but capital letters in various position of the file name. All missing files do NOT have capalization. EG sr_country_2lcrv_1500r01d.s but the file in the global dir is SR_Country_2LCrv_1500r01d.s.
    If you want fix problems with wag and eng files, you go to route riter. After exhausting different avenues on this site, steam4me site and various help files, I cannot just check the world files and replace the missing s files. I figured route riter could do it but I am not sure if it is possible.
    Maybe someone has run into this problem with win 8.1. I could just try renaming the global files in msts and see if it clears the problem but then again the world files might use both file names (with caps and without caps) and then you are right back where you started. And this is happening with several routes such as BNSF Seligman 2. The number of missing files adds up to about 150 just for this route.
    Too much trouble for me. Anyone out there could help me? Thanks

Denis

Many of my own files used mixed case, since that's how I was brought up as a developer (using strict Hungarian notation and camelCasing).

If for some reason Win8.1 is now forcing the issue of case sensitivity, then yes, I can see where there could be a need for a utility to modify the case of all text within .W files as well as within directories to make sure they're all the same...

Hi Denis,
    No one has (as yet anyway) reported a capitalization problem with shape filenames as you describe and there are forum members running win8 without problems. So the question would be . . .
    Where (the complete path) did you install MSTS on the new system?
    example C:\Programe Files\Microsoft games\

edit add info: MSTS can only use a SINGLE core on a multicore system and cannot make use of more than 2GB of memory. Anything else is useless hardware as MSTS cant use it.
    Last edited by Vince; 02-13-2014 at 01:37 PM.
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Well, I used MSTSmanager that comes with conbuilder and all of once the simulator is now working fine in the mini route. I changed the msts path in the manager and ran the simulator from within the manager. Msts did not complain at all. By the way the BNSF Seligman 2 runs in a mini route. If you test with route router, the problem with missing shape files is still there. Funny though, it is only with the SR roads files.
    I also tried to replace the shape within route riter with the one that have the caps on certain characters and it did not make any difference. It still says the file is missing. Windows 8.1 may work well for photoshop but it gets cranky with MSTS.

Vince
    Msts runs in my SSD F: drive called MainMsts. It runs well. My mini route is also on the F drive. Loads fast but frame rates are just average. I also run msts with mem switch of 1024. It seems to be happy with it. It may run on one core but it runs it at 3.9 gig.

Denis

Got it Denis. . . . so no permission issues. 3.9G? Nice! most MSTS video is processed in the CPU.

As to the possibility of "Win8.1 is now forcing the issue of case sensitivity," . . . Well it's happened before, other systems, other OS's. Nature of the beast. . . . sigh . . . more cleanup
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

There is a new file system coming with 8.1, replacing NTFS. ReFS is more like Linux, and that includes case sensitivity. I just hadn't heard that OEM partitions were coming configured as ReFS yet.