Thread: The wagons you can load itself has a large defect, when its loaded. To much friktions

Default The wagons you can load itself has a large defect, when its loaded. To much friktions

Have tested the friction on train freight wagons.
    The wagons you can load in scenario editor has a large defect i think.

Tex. container cars, when they are empty they roll better than loaded (low speed)
    8 per thousand downhill slope so rolls the empty wagons from 0 to 40 miles per hour after a while.
    Feels okey.
    but when I load the same wagon as it rolls at all.
    When I accelerate the locomotive with wagons and pull of the power the train stops after a while.

I have tested this on marias pass at the east cutbank (down towards cutbank)
    wagon is MP Double Stack Car included in marias pass.
    Same thing with cp grain hopper car (came with Canadian Mountain Passes route)
    Have tested this even on coal wagons with same results. (marias pass route car)
    But I think problems is available on all cars you can unload.

I have tested on preloaded wagon and theese wagons rolls very fine
    (the wagons you cant load in scenario editor)
    double_stack_car_b.bin works fine. (in marias pass)

I think What happens is that the simulator only makes more friction at these wagons you can load
    your self.
    The formula for Resistance

Resistance = Rolling Friction Coefficient (0,001 train) * Gravity * Mass + Velocity2 * 0.5 * Drag
    Coefficient (air resistance)* Air Density

I get very irritated when the train will not roll properly. Here are Run8 simulator
    absolutely superb, but this should go to fix for Dovetail games.

Have any of you the same experience as me and does anyone know if
    Dovetail know about the problem.

I have taken a railway wagon that you can load and remade it into bluprint and done it is always loaded.
    Then I get it rolling properly.

Mountin Man Guest

I've noticed the phenomenon in other routes as well. Heavy trains often have to be dragged downhill to get them started, as well as the braking anomaly that you noted.

Just another example of the pathetic physics for TS.2014
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    Just another example of the pathetic physics for TS.2014
    Have to agree. Climbing Marias Pass with a heavy coal train in notch 2

Train behaving like a big spring
    Another big problem is that long trains (100-150 wagons) behaving badly.
    It feels like the train is a great spring. You see the last car going 15 mph faster than the locomotive and a moment later it's the opposite. Looking at the cars next to the locomotive when it accelerates so drawn carriages apart.

But I think this also can be done.
    First you have to unpack CanadianPacificAssets.ap (rw-tools or same thing else)
    Then you Open the file
    Assets \ JL \ CP \ Rail Vehicles \ Couplings \ Buckeye \ Type-E \ buckeye_type_e_coupling.bin
    in rw-tools.
    locate the line
    <SpringCoefficient D:type="sFloat32" d:alt_encoding="000000000070A740" drecision="string"> 750 </ SpringCoefficient>
    Change the value from 750 to 3000 or more 15000 then it will train more much more stable.
    Have not yet found any drawbacks to the solution

This applies to cars in the Canadian Mountain Passes
    is the other wagons so you have to look up their settings in any other coupling.bin file
    Last edited by jorgen3; 02-18-2014 at 05:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jorgen3 View Post
    Train behaving like a big spring
    Another big problem is that long trains (100-150 wagons) behaving badly.
    It feels like the train is a great spring. You see the last car going 15 mph faster than the locomotive and a moment later it's the opposite. .....
    Yes....this has been referred to as the "rubber-band effect" and is another example of the pathetic physics in this product.

But why the %$#& should the buyer be required to apply a band-aid when it just needs RSC/DTG to get off their collective rear ends and fix the bloody thing at the source?!!! (Rhetorical question!)
    Last edited by seagoon; 02-18-2014 at 01:09 PM.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0