Thread: 5.0 Issues

Default 5.0 Issues

Thought I'd check this simulator out and downloaded the 5.0 demo version. Have found two issues so far.

1. Despite the download file being named "zdsimulator_5.0.0_setup_en" I can only find Russian documentation in the "docs" directory. Also, the startup window with the 20-odd options is all in Russian. Is the English documentation located elsewhere?

2. The install went to "/Program Files (x86)/ZDSimulator/ZDSimulator and so none of the start menu shortcuts worked. I did change the drive number from C: to E: during the install so perhaps that had something to do with it. I moved everything up one directory and now it works.

It is entirely possible I'm missing something obvious with the language but I don't see a way to toggle it. The install location does seem to be an error, though.

Regards,

Rob.
    Last edited by obo; 02-23-2014 at 07:08 PM.

I noticed the shortcuts acted up, too, but I thought it was just my machine being odd. Perhaps not. Anyway, I just located the zdsimulator.exe file and made a fresh shortcut. I don't install in 'Program Files (x86)' to steer clear of any potential issues with Windows 7 UAC.

The interface language is easy to fix. When you launch this version in demo mode, there is an informational dialog that pops up about how to register; it will be unreadable the first time, since the application defaults to Russian. Just click the only button to proceed, and you'll get the launcher interface. Once that's up, you'll see a pull-down about two-thirds of the way down on the left, which should read ' Russian.lng ' in the box. Click it and pull down to ' English.lng ' and the interface will switch to English. Note that once you are in the sim, the sim's interface and message displays will be in English, but controls in the cab, labels on equipment cabinets, signs in the world -- all graphic objects -- will still be labeled in Cyrillic characters, of course.

I see that the basic operation guide in English isn't available this time. I have a copy of what had been provided in earlier versions if you need one. It might have been an oversight in packaging this version for distribution. Also, I believe a few of the controls in the sim, mostly for views, have been modified starting around version 4.8 or 4.9, so the old version may be getting out-of-date.

MSTS-Roundhouse

With Open Rails and ZDSimulator
    Info

Eric:

Thanks for the language interface tip - I'm now up and running. I'm currently downloading the old 4.9.9 version of the software to see if I can get the English guide from that. If that doesn't work I'll probably take you up on your offer.

Hopefully they'll fix the install path issue. That is going to confuse a lot of people.

Regards,

Rob.

Edit to add: 4.9.9 does indeed have the English manual.
    Last edited by obo; 02-23-2014 at 10:05 PM.

One other tip for dealing with language display -- some things, including electronic displays in the cab, like the KLUB-U cab signalling unit, are supposed to display in Cyrillic, but won't, unless you set the "system locale" for non-unicode languages correctly. It's in Control Panel > Region and Language > 'Administrative' tab > 'Change System Locale' button > Select 'Russian' from the pull-down and click "OK" then restart. Windows will then display Cyrillic where appropriate. This will also fix display of some of the text files present in the installation; they'll be in the Cyrillic alphabet instead of (incorrect) high ASCII substitutions.

You can usually leave this setting alone; Windows is smart enough to display English or your chosen language where appropriate. However, I've found that some installers will mis-read the setting sometimes. Nvidia's driver installer is one of them. So, just change the setting back to 'English (United States)' or whatever your normal preference is and restart before running them.

MSTS-Roundhouse

Info

Hello all,

By the looks of it the the latest packaging is very bad. We apologize for the inconvenience caused by these errors.

We'll produce a proper installation package, now with basic manual and installation paths working properly and provide you with a download link.

Thank you for the concerns. I'll be back with an update later!
    ZDSimulator Developer Team
    www.zdsimulator.eu

Back with an update: issue with installer has been resolved. Please feel free to download the installation package again, should go cleaner now and contain the basic Manual.

Also, please let me know if ZDSimulator starts up in English the first time you launch it after the installation.

Thanks!
    www.zdsimulator.eu

Hi Kernell.

Thanks for the quick update. It looks like the previous issues have been solved, though there is one possible new one.

Fixed:

1. The install no longer creates an extra ZDSimulator subdirectory.
    2. Game links now work (due to fix #1).
    3. English is now the default install option and the default language the first time the sim is started.
    4. The English manual (i.e. the key guide) is now included.

I think that fixes all the previous issues. There is one new one, though it may be considered minor. When the program starts the options selected are "CHS7" and "Kiev-Shevcenko_v7.02", but if you just click on "Start Simulator" you get the error message "This train can't work with this type of electrification, choose a different route." It might be preferable, especially for new users, if the default selections do not result in an error.

Thanks again for addressing the install issues so quickly.

Regards,

Rob.

If I recall correctly, the sim used to start on the Moscow-Kaluga route selected. The routes are listed alphabetically, so the inclusion of newer routes has probably affected the listing. There's never been a check for electrification type vs locomotive type; I've often thought it would be a good feature, but a check would have to be run out of the launcher executable which I suspect would mean adding a significant bit of code. Maybe a suggestion for the future, if the launcher ever receives a significant overhaul. For now, the development effort has clearly focused on the main simulator code.

I did notice over the last version or two that an error crept into the language file used to generate the English test in the launcher. The text on the "Scenario" button is misspelled in the interface because of a single incorrectly-encoded character in the English.lng file. The "c" in the word "Scenario" isn't an ASCII or Unicode "c", and it causes the word "Scenario to" appear with the wrong spelling -- it generates incorrect ASCII or Unicode on display. Looking at the English.lng file in Notepad won't show it, but when I opened it in my other text editor (ConText) with syntax highlighting, it revealed the letter "c" in "Scenario" in a different color -- indicating something wasn't right. Deleting the letter, re-typing it and saving the file fixed it.

I've noticed a loading progress display on the lower left area of the screen in 5.0.0 now. It gradually fades away, but it takes quite a while to do so. It looks like it's monitoring the progress as files for the simulation world are loaded/cached? Just wondering if this is a debug function that's been left on by default, and if so, can it be selected on or off?

MSTS-Roundhouse

Info

Hello.
    I downloaded latest version 5.0.
    When sending request for activation code,
    my e-mail not recognized.
    Tried sending request to support e-mail address,
    failed, clicking on address does not advance to e-mail
    page.

Need help.

Thank you.

Jack.

Hi,

I'll go over your questions and try to answer all of them. Let me know if I left out anything:

I downloaded latest version 5.0.
    When sending request for activation code,
    my e-mail not recognized.
    Tried sending request to support e-mail address,
    failed, clicking on address does not advance to e-mail
    page.
    Please contact [email protected]. Whenever you have an issue with keys/purchases, you should always email support.

I think that fixes all the previous issues. There is one new one, though it may be considered minor. When the program starts the options selected are "CHS7" and "Kiev-Shevcenko_v7.02", but if you just click on "Start Simulator" you get the error message "This train can't work with this type of electrification, choose a different route." It might be preferable, especially for new users, if the default selections do not result in an error.
    This is intended. Long time ago, when the simulator was only used for training, this notification reminded users to refresh their memory on electric loco and rail electrification compatibility And technically, some locomotives can only operate with certain electrification. This message is not new, it's been here for quite a while. But since the routes have changes, you might encounter it more often. If you think there is something wrong with it, please provide more details so we can look into it.

I did notice over the last version or two that an error crept into the language file used to generate the English test in the launcher. The text on the "Scenario" button is misspelled in the interface because of a single incorrectly-encoded character in the English.lng file. The "c" in the word "Scenario" isn't an ASCII or Unicode "c", and it causes the word "Scenario to" appear with the wrong spelling -- it generates incorrect ASCII or Unicode on display. Looking at the English.lng file in Notepad won't show it, but when I opened it in my other text editor (ConText) with syntax highlighting, it revealed the letter "c" in "Scenario" in a different color -- indicating something wasn't right. Deleting the letter, re-typing it and saving the file fixed it.
    Whoops. Sounds like a cyrillic "С". I'll pass it to the config. Thanks!

I've noticed a loading progress display on the lower left area of the screen in 5.0.0 now. It gradually fades away, but it takes quite a while to do so. It looks like it's monitoring the progress as files for the simulation world are loaded/cached? Just wondering if this is a debug function that's been left on by default, and if so, can it be selected on or off?
    This progress bar was left for information purposes. It will disappear once everything's loaded. Can't hide it, no console commands were designed to enable/disable.

www.zdsimulator.eu