Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the significance of the $ symbol in the name of an engine file?

Default What is the significance of the $ symbol in the name of an engine file?

What is the effect (and intention) of the $ symbol in the start of an engine file name ?
    I encountered this when looking at some activity templates, and it appears that renaming an existing .eng file may make it invisible in both MSTS and ORTS.
    I also seem to recall a related question about the use of the # symbol. Is it related to AI?
    My apologies if this is a repeat question - I'm sure that this has been answered before, but I can't seem to locate the thread.
    Sid P.

Yes it designates that engine as an AI non-drivable so they are easy to identify in your AE.

# = AI, and $ = Dead, as lineman mentioned above.
    Route Riter has options to create both, by using a good player .eng file.

Dead engines are nice to simulate engines in tow, or to use as engines idling on sidings, in yards, etc. I put low beam lights on most dead engines so they look like they are idling, and ready for work. But, some have no lights and just sit on a RIP track, or something of that nature.
    Last edited by qballbandit; 03-27-2014 at 04:12 PM.
    Neil

Here at home, in the railroad mayhem capital of the world.

$ = Non-powered consist, which can be placed in an activity but won't generate smoke or move under power. Can be moved when coupled to a player train, however, but will be dead in tow.

Can I jump in here and ask a similar question? What is the significance of the "trail" as in some of SLI's engine consists:-

UP_C44AC_6516TRAIL SLI.UP

Set up by SLI to bring up the rear of a consist.
    Regards,

Eric

IIRC, Trail locomotives have something slightly different in their lighting code.

Stalinist,broke United Kingdom (Hey buddy,can you spare �1.3 trillion?))

I never use $ or # as they do not make clear what the loco is and the# makes the eng file very untidy.I prefer the suffix AI or D (but do not use the latter).Much neater eng files.Also,some make the $ locos into wagons.Makes life very complicated.

Are the # and $ an actual MSTS-code, i.e. will an engine file which is named sth. like $engine.eng automatically be set to zero power by MSTS when loaded into the sim, even though the power entry in the $engine.eng may read 10,000hp?
    https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/signaturepics/sigpic164208_1.gif

Prefixes are added by Route Riter when it is used to convert the files. They are just part of the file name without any other special significance to MSTS.
    Regards,

Eric