Thread: MSTS Routes in Trainz

Default MSTS Routes in Trainz

Apologies if I have posted this twice, but my last post about this seemed to vanish.

What is the simplest way to recreate an MSTS route in Trainz using Surveyor?
    Is there a simple way to do this?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

bump

There isn't really a "simple" way to do it. You will need to find and import some sort of topography data (I believe MicroDEM will work as far as importation goes), and fill everything else in the old-fashioned way. The good news is that Surveyor is much easier to use than the route editors in MSTS.

So there isn't a way to extract the terrain data (elevations, rivers etc) from MSTS and make a route?

Not directly from MSTS (at least I don't think). You could find terrain and elevation data for the same area and use that, however.

Ok thanks

Build it from scratch...

Seriously there is no useful information contained in a MSTS route file/data that would be of any assistance in creating a Trainz route, apart from maybe eyeballing the track layout at stations and yards. In any event, the latest versions of Trainz in conjunction with Transdem are capable of far higher terrain resolution than MSTS ever was.

Back in my MSTS days I did build a couple of routes in both sims but the tech is different so there is little mutually inclusive elements even at the planning stage.