Thread: Common Cab Files & Common Sound Files

Default Common Cab Files & Common Sound Files

In my Master Trainset there are different Common Cab & Common Sound files. Same names, different spelling. I gather it
    is because different downloads spell these names different ways in their downloads. If I was to install all of the files in each
    of the folders in the other folders of the same name so that each of the folders contained the same files, would this create a
    problem. Also there seems to be a lot of es44ac downloads with different cvf files called from the ES44AC V2 cab file in the
    common cab folder that are not in any of the alias files in that folder. I keep updating this folder, but was wondering if I was
    to put those unusual cvf files into the ES44AC V2 common cab alias file, if it would work.

CPTrainman59R
    Rick Carter

It matters not a bit what the folders are actually called, or even if different folders contain the same files, as long as the alias to the sms or cvf is correct in the eng file. The only thing other than that is the calls from the cvf for the ace files used must include the full alias path as well.
    Beer is not a matter of life or death, it is much more serious than that.

Hello,

I have a few trains which are using the common.cab/common sound technique. After installation, and looking into the locomotive section of open rail V1.0, those trains are not in the list. What could be the reason?

Is there a tutorial/document available which explains the common.cab/common sound technique?

Best regards

Kurt

From Belgian62

Hello,

I have a few trains which are using the common.cab/common sound technique. After installation, and looking into the locomotive section of open rail V1.0, those trains are not in the list. What could be the reason?
    Have you created a consist for them? The fact that it uses common.- file shouldn't have any effect on its ability to show up on the list. Note that I haven't yet converted to OR so it might be different there

Quote Originally Posted by baldwin View Post
    It matters not a bit what the folders are actually called, or even if different folders contain the same files, as long as the alias to the sms or cvf is correct in the eng file. The only thing other than that is the calls from the cvf for the ace files used must include the full alias path as well.
    Hello Baldwin,

Thank you for your reply.

I will do some research in the eng files and the relation to the sms or cvf file.

Best regards

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by ebnertra000 View Post
    Have you created a consist for them? The fact that it uses common.- file shouldn't have any effect on its ability to show up on the list. Note that I haven't yet converted to OR so it might be different there
    Hello ebnertra000,

No, I didn't create a consists for those specific trains. I assumed the consists was available in the installation package.

However, after some extra research, I noticed that in some packages the consists file is not available.

And after running the route control program, I noticed some consists files where no longer available in the consists folder, but were placed in the RC-Backed-up-consists subfolder ( which is created by the route control program - consists\RC-Backed-up-consists ).

So I assume something is wrong with the consists file or something is missing related to the consists file.

Best regards

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by belgian62 View Post
    Hello ebnertra000,

No, I didn't create a consists for those specific trains. I assumed the consists was available in the installation package.

However, after some extra research, I noticed that in some packages the consists file is not available.

And after running the route control program, I noticed some consists files where no longer available in the consists folder, but were placed in the RC-Backed-up-consists subfolder ( which is created by the route control program - consists\RC-Backed-up-consists ).

So I assume something is wrong with the consists file or something is missing related to the consists file.

Best regards

Kurt
    Route Control produces a report on all errors found and moves problem consists as you have found out. What you need to do is look at the report and see what the errors are, then fix them. When the errors are corrected and Route Control is run again, it will move the working consists back into your main Consists folder.
    Beer is not a matter of life or death, it is much more serious than that.

Quote Originally Posted by baldwin View Post
    Route Control produces a report on all errors found and moves problem consists as you have found out. What you need to do is look at the report and see what the errors are, then fix them. When the errors are corrected and Route Control is run again, it will move the working consists back into your main Consists folder.
    Hello Baldwin

Thank you for the update. Using route control - a report was created, but within the report, some errors were not correct. The report mentioned some files were missing, for example

Am177_2.eng should be in a folder named Nmbs-sncb-am62-63-g.
    Am177_1.eng should be in a folder named Nmbs-sncb-am62-63-g.

After checkup, the files were present were present within the specific folder.

Best regards

Kurt
    Last edited by belgian62; 02-14-2016 at 07:53 AM. Reason: extra info