Thread: Another Rule for newbies - tracks crossing tile boundaries

Cool Another Rule for newbies - tracks crossing tile boundaries

Colleagues,

When laying track to represent coal mine extensions, there is always going to be sharp
    curves, wiggles all over the place, etc. This led me into two traps in doing the Big Sandy
    so far.

After a rebuild of the track database, everything seemed fine until I checked activities
    and when I did there was a break (blue pole) about 2/3 of the way to Pike-26. On
    examination, I got the "end to end" error, when I selected the piece that bridged the
    tile boundary, even though it appeared to be correctly placed, 30M tangent piece, almost
    exactly 50/50. However, a number of different combination were tried with the same
    result. I would get the "all tiles visited" message, but still have the blue pole. On
    examination, I found that the route entered and exited the previous tile, and then exited
    again at the trouble point. This suggested a rule and I remembered having a problem like
    that at the foot of Lookout Pass on the RMD-4 several years ago. Rather than try to
    reroute the track, which would have created a historical error, I just left the piece out with
    a note to put it in before release. Tonight, on another rebuild, I found the same error at
    the point where the Meade Extension crosses a boundary. This time, however, I got the
    failure message from the rebuild process. I was able to fix this one, but on the next attempt
    at rebuild, the error shifted to the next tile crossing and I could not fix it, so I just left out
    the 35m piece, adding it to my list. This time, the track had entered and exited the previous
    tile 3 time again, with the 3rd time being the point of failure.

So perhaps there is a rule here:

If a given route, crosses the boundary(s) of the same tile twice, it is probably okay. But a
    3rd time will probably fail. Perhaps the OR folks can address this issue if they do a editor.
    This kind of error is mentioned in the tutorials on Steam4Me but only goes on to say that
    if you replace the errant piece, all will be okay --- until the next rebuild.

J. H. Sullivan
    (aka landnrailroader)

I wonder if this is due to a lack of "nodes" along the troublesome line.

Steven,

You might have something there. The failure on the Meade line comes 7 miles out on a very crooked line with
    no turnouts up to that point (and none beyond either for perhaps another 5 miles). Likewise the failure on the
    Pike-26 lead is similar. And if I remember right, the situation on the RMD-4 was similar as well, so I will look
    into putting one of those "turnouts that isn't a turnout" in and see what happens. Rebuilds at this point only
    take about 5'.

J. H. Sullivan

Well, the idea was good, but that doesn't fix the problem. I figured it might be good to put the node in the
    offending tile, but while the rebuild runs to completion ("all tiles visited"), there is still a blue pole at the end
    of the piece that bridges the tile boundary. By count, going east to west by railroad, there are three
    ins/outs at this tiles boundaries, with the problem appearing on the 4th, an exit. I have seen it on the 3rd
    crossing in some cases, but not always. However, it always occurs on a 4th crossing of the boundary.
    There is a comment about this, as I mentioned, in the notes on the Steam4Me site which goes on to state
    that sometimes you just have to leave the piece out until the route is finished and then put it in, after the
    last rebuild as it is only a problem on a rebuild.

J. H. Sullivan