Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SD70 Reskins

Nice repaint! Did you ever find the F/A you were looking for? I would swear these units had the Nathan P5 horn, rather than an RST-5. Hard to say what they have now.

I don't think I've heard an RST-5 (or ST-5) on the CN for many years (they were common on the GM&O & ICG). I hear different horns all over town, every day, all the time, and I've tried to educate my ear on how to identify the brand and model from a distance.

The P5 is a really great sound when all the bells are still in tune. I heard a great one heading south on the CN a couple days ago. I saw a 3100-series GP40R earlier in the week while driving, so that could have been the source of that sound.

I don't know where the horns are mapped on the NS SD70. If you can make the old horns disappear, I could try my hand at the F/A. I already have a P5 made in TSM.

Tyler

Quote Originally Posted by tbundy1982 View Post
    Nice repaint! Did you ever find the F/A you were looking for? I would swear these units had the Nathan P5 horn, rather than an RST-5. Hard to say what they have now.

I don't think I've heard an RST-5 (or ST-5) on the CN for many years (they were common on the GM&O & ICG). I hear different horns all over town, every day, all the time, and I've tried to educate my ear on how to identify the brand and model from a distance.

The P5 is a really great sound when all the bells are still in tune. I heard a great one heading south on the CN a couple days ago. I saw a 3100-series GP40R earlier in the week while driving, so that could have been the source of that sound.

I don't know where the horns are mapped on the NS SD70. If you can make the old horns disappear, I could try my hand at the F/A. I already have a P5 made in TSM.

Tyler

Thanks Tyler,

I haven't run across ANY P5 F/A's yet, and was HOPING the ones that were used on the SD40Es in the library would work. Unfortunately, they were pretty much INCOMPATABLE. It sits a little too high. But I did post about the oddball Leslies that are on the long hood earlier in this thread and that was the ONLY thing that was stopping me. The horns, meanwhile, appears on the freight animation shape (along with the handrails) to each locomotive and it does has a separate file from the locomotives. Anthony Morris was talking about doing some P5 F/A's earlier, too.

So if anyone want to take a crack at the P5 F/A, feel free. That will be a HUGE help to this project.
    Don Newman, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by dnewmanjr View Post
    I haven't run across ANY P5 F/A's yet, and was HOPING the ones that were used on the SD40Es in the library would work. Unfortunately, they were pretty much INCOMPATABLE. It sits a little too high.
    Depending on the nature of the Freight Animation... You should be able to use the Alpha Channel to Make any unwanted part be invisible (transparent.) You may also have to change the shader_names option in the shape from TexDiff to BlendATexDiff to allow for transparencies. Hopefully all you need is just the horn.

If you only need the horn, and you can elimnate everything but that...

You can use the Shift option in Shape File Manager to get the Freight Animation to load in a different place. Just add the amounts that you need to move the Freight Animation in the X,Y, & Z spaces.

Sometimes You may also need to to Reverse the shape as well, which you can do with SFM.

I successfully modified a NS GP-38 High Hood Yard Light Freight Animation, so it could be used on a fictional painted GEVO, by doing this.
    Yardmaster of the Great American Moose Paint Shops.
    a Moose Interchange Rail Company division.
    http://mjrmstsrepaints.proboards.com
    TTFN!

Quote Originally Posted by MCDemuth View Post
    Depending on the nature of the Freight Animation... You should be able to use the Alpha Channel to Make any unwanted part be invisible (transparent.) You may also have to change the shader_names option in the shape from TexDiff to BlendATexDiff to allow for transparencies. Hopefully all you need is just the horn.

If you only need the horn, and you can elimnate everything but that...

You can use the Shift option in Shape File Manager to get the Freight Animation to load in a different place. Just add the amounts that you need to move the Freight Animation in the X,Y, & Z spaces.

Sometimes You may also need to to Reverse the shape as well, which you can do with SFM.

I successfully modified a NS GP-38 High Hood Yard Light Freight Animation, so it could be used on a fictional painted GEVO, by doing this.

I think I'll leave that in the hands of an expert, Mike. I just need the Leslie horn changed to a Nathan P5 from off the current Freight Animation Shape that appears in the NS SD70 CWR Train set from SLI.

Too bad I can't get a hold to Marshall or Noah about this situation.
    Don Newman, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by dnewmanjr View Post
    I think I'll leave that in the hands of an expert, Mike. I just need the Leslie horn changed to a Nathan P5 from off the current Freight Animation Shape that appears in the NS SD70 CWR Train set from SLI.

Too bad I can't get a hold to Marshall or Noah about this situation.
    The main issue with using an FA to change the horn on the model is that the SLI NS SD70 model already uses an FA for a good number of the detail parts.

With the detail level of our newer models increasing, it has become necessary to add some of the parts of the locomotive to an FA shape to avoid encroaching on the MSTS poly limit for models.

In order to change the horn on the NS SD70 shape, a new FA which replicates all of the parts on the existing FA would need to be created in addition to the new horn shape.

Never know, there just might be an accurate Illinois Central SD70 shape available from us in the future.

-Noah
    http://www.streamlines.ca/
    Last edited by SouthernPacificLines; 10-05-2014 at 04:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernPacificLines View Post
    The main issue with using an FA to change the horn on the model is that the SLI NS SD70 model already uses an FA for a good number of the detail parts.

With the detail level of our newer models increasing, it has become necessary to add some of the parts of the locomotive to an FA shape to avoid encroaching on the MSTS poly limit for models.

In order to change the horn on the NS SD70 shape, a new FA which replicates all of the parts on the existing FA would need to be created in addition to the new horn shape.

Never know, there just might be an accurate Illinois Central SD70 shape available from us in the future.

-Noah
    http://www.streamlines.ca/
    Thanks, Noah. Well explained!!

Hopefully we'll look forward for more new models, soon because I'm ready to release this IC repaint!!
    Don Newman, Jr.

Look for the ICRR SD70s this week in the Library!!
    Don Newman, Jr.

Hoo-Rah!
    Thanks much, Don
    Neil

Here at home, in the railroad mayhem capital of the world.

Yeah, thanks Ron. Good work!
    Steve Burr, PE - Clinton, MD
    Southern Serves the South

Thank you Sir.
    Glenn Duba
    Cinnaminson, NJ