Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: train simulator 2015 update

Finally downloaded.

The new interface is awful, loads of buttons and tabs instead of scrolling lists. Third party and Workshop routes seem to have been pushed aside from the main "Drive" menu and you have to go hunting for these. Not had a chance to drive or build yet, maybe I'll start with Academy for a laugh.

If it wasn't for West Highland coming out plus all the money I've spent, I'd seriously be thinking about uninstalling.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    Finally downloaded.

The new interface is awful, loads of buttons and tabs instead of scrolling lists. Third party and Workshop routes seem to have been pushed aside from the main "Drive" menu and you have to go hunting for these. Not had a chance to drive or build yet, maybe I'll start with Academy for a laugh.

If it wasn't for West Highland coming out plus all the money I've spent, I'd seriously be thinking about uninstalling.
    So how do we access them???(step by step so I don't get too aggrivated)

OK...I've seen it and tried it and so far I am underwhelmed and over-irritated.

The new interface seems to be patterned on a digital motif, and many paid-for routes don't show, but they seem to still be there, represented by a blank button.

I have yet to find out where the access to the Workshop Subscriptions for scenarios and routes is. My first pass through Steam failed to locate it. Not good.

The process of locating a specific scenario within a route has become more complex, although I must honestly say I don't think that was DTG's intent. Looks like they tried to categorize everything by loco type with a given route.

The bar on the bottom of the screen that goes from 1 - 4 means what? Mine is just shy of the full 4 mark.

Same initial screen, but now it says "2015" and adds the name of their financing bank (?). No "improvement" there.

Scenario creators might take note of the fine print on the opening screen, which specifically prohibits copying or enhancing any material. According to this, you may NOT create routes or scenarios.

I get the impression that Career Mode is now the focus in an attempt to make this seem more of a sim and less of a game.

So far, the observable graphics seem to be the same, but I played a scenario in heavy rain with limited visibility - Donner Pass helper - so can't make an accurate assessment.

Apparently, we now have options for Standard play the same as those for Quick Drive, i.e., environment, loco, etc.

Time will tell, but my initial impression is that a tutorial is needed to find out where everything went and how to access features previously readily available. Hopefully, the "experts" here will provide some clues as soon as they figure it out.

Default TS 2015 Interface - Why So Small?

Is there any way to make this full screen as it was in 2014?

This is just too small for me.

Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    OK...I've seen it and tried it and so far I am underwhelmed and over-irritated.

The new interface seems to be patterned on a digital motif, and many paid-for routes don't show, but they seem to still be there, represented by a blank button.
    Some of my older WIP routes failed to show an icon also. However, I remembered an earlier change to TS whereby an image file needed to be placed in the RouteInformation folder of a particular route ("Image1.png"), and now I have icons again.

The bar on the bottom of the screen that goes from 1 - 4 means what? Mine is just shy of the full 4 mark.
    Mine goes from 0~1, and I'm equally confused. Are these supposed to reflect achievements? Just one more thing to clutter up the interface.

Scenario creators might take note of the fine print on the opening screen, which specifically prohibits copying or enhancing any material. According to this, you may NOT create routes or scenarios.
    All that means, if taken verbatim, is that you can't copy or change what's already there. Nothing stopping you from creating a new route from scratch. Even if you use their assets in the new route - so long as those objects aren't modified and/or distributed you're fine.

So far, the observable graphics seem to be the same, but I played a scenario in heavy rain with limited visibility - Donner Pass helper - so can't make an accurate assessment.
    I noted that distant mountains appear better defined. I'm going to add back the textures I had for them and see there's any change there (textures looked like melted ice cream in TS2014).

Quote Originally Posted by ForestHIllsRob View Post
    Is there any way to make this full screen as it was in 2014?
    (never mind - I see you're already in full screen mode) Full screen is available in the graphics > advanced section. What was acceptable before, I now find that the menus are difficult to navigate and find anything. The relabeling of items (TSX > Dynamic lighting) certainly doesn't help.

My own initial observations are a slightly quicker load time for routes (almost hardly worth noting), with FPS about the same as TS2014. I don't much care for the 3D clouds - yet - since I only tested a couple of different patterns on Cajon and I'll have to dig into the files to see if they can be changed/improved.

Aside from the lame use of menus in the editor (changing things around rather than just adding to), I'll have to take the weekend to see what's what. Some of the features look promising, such as two different assets on a single Asset Block and scaling (for bridges, I suppose), but other things are downright silly and unnecessary IMO.
    3DTrains - Home of the Feather River and Sherman Hill routes for MSTS

Signature

All that means, if taken verbatim, is that you can't copy or change what's already there. Nothing stopping you from creating a new route from scratch. Even if you use their assets in the new route - so long as those objects aren't modified and/or distributed you're fine.
    Since their routes are used to create scenarios, it also means that legally users cannot make scenarios - that's the "expand/enhance" part.

Anybody found the Workshop Scenario Subscription location yet?

Quote Originally Posted by smiljacc18 View Post
    So how do we access them???(step by step so I don't get too aggrivated)
    To manage them go to Profile and then the workshop tab. If you want to drive them you can access them from the drive menu.

Ok, this is getting irritating!!! the update downloads to 85% then stops and keeps starting over and it says "update queued" is this normal?

There's a possibility that the Steam servers are being overwhelmed. Try at a west coast off-peak hour, such as after 10pm or wait until after the weekend.
    3DTrains - Home of the Feather River and Sherman Hill routes for MSTS

Signature

Ok i will, thank you