Thread: Where is the AI/Auto Fireman Setting?

Default Where is the AI/Auto Fireman Setting?

Hello,

I am trying to use Open Rails because it offers better performance & widescreen display support. But, I am having some issues with it, one of them being the absence of auto fireman mode for steam engines as in default MSTS. I am using version x2439 but I can't find this option anywhere! If you look the change logs in their site it looks like Open Rails does have it somewhere. Search for "fireman" in Ctrl+F and it appears 3 times in the code changes page of the site.

So, can anyone help me in this issue?

The auto fireman is turned on by default in OR. Control+F will turn it off, or back on again. For guidance on what extra items OR needs to be added to the eng file for accurate operation, go to http://openrails.org/learn/manual-and-tutorials/ and download the steam model. Other manuals are there as well.

Apart from the auto fireman, what else do you have problems with.
    Beer is not a matter of life or death, it is much more serious than that.

Thanks for replying. OK, I thought it would have some sort of checkbox like in MSTS. Also it just says "Control Firing -- Ctrl+F" in the F1 help. I didn't realize it was fireman setting.

I take it that you first start the activity, then press R or Shift+R to control firing rate. Default firing is not very efficient. I sometimes get the message "plug fused, loco failed", other times train speed is too slow.

Other problems are minor graphical issues such as weird smoke direction when traveling through curves, smoke is too high above the loco, inverted level crossings etc.

Also is there anyway to operate cab controls in Open Rails with mouse because keyboard input is slow which makes it hard to properly complete strictly timetabled activities.

You can only control firing by entering manual mode. You then have to look after the water and air supply as well. If you don't run the injectors in manual mode the boiler will run out of water. The automatic fireman is currently set up to maintain an ideal firemass which is either read from the eng file or determined by the other dimensions taken from the eng file. It also looks after the boiler water level, so if the other data in the eng file is correct, it will never ever give you a fusible plugs message until the tank or tender runs out.

If you download the document I referred to you will see what is needed to produce a reasonably accurate steam engine simulation. The eng file must have a reasonable boiler size for OR to run with. Unlike MSTS, if the engine is driven hard the boiler will run out of steam, and when pressure drops, so does train speed.

The problems with smoke are known and are being worked on, inverted level crossings is a new one to me.

Mouse controls are not implemented yet. I find zero problems using a keyboard and keeping to time. Perhaps you could expand on this aspect. We may already have the answer.
    Beer is not a matter of life or death, it is much more serious than that.