Thread: WOS1 and Windows 8.1

Default WOS1 and Windows 8.1

I just got this running in hi-res mode on my laptop and every so often the C4 engine dies. Initially, during the install it asked me to install Direct X components from 2010. I read somewhere that installing the Direct X SDK install alleviated the issue. I installed that to get WOS1 working but now I get C4 engine failures and sometimes I get blue screens as well. Anyone else have any issues with 8.1 and WOS1? This is the latest version of WOS1, version 1.30 I believe.

After reducing/removing a number of extra services (Toshiba related and other software), I now have far greater stability with no BSODs but to a lesser degree I am still getting C4 engine failures. I have an Intel HD 4000 in the laptop and I have pretty much removed every piece of extraneous software. I would rather not go through a re-install of 8. I tried looking for the OEM/manufacturer driver for the HD4000 but haven't had much luck. Anyone running WOS1 with 8.1 or any other WOS (2 or 3)? I would appreciate some feedback on your experience with WOS and 8.1 (or even 8)

Would hazard a guess that Laptop + Integrated Graphics = the reason you are getting issues. Integrated chips are fine for doing a spreadsheet or surfing the 'net but not for graphics intensive games which need a "proper" Nvidia or AMD chip in the machine.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    Would hazard a guess that Laptop + Integrated Graphics = the reason you are getting issues. Integrated chips are fine for doing a spreadsheet or surfing the 'net but not for graphics intensive games which need a "proper" Nvidia or AMD chip in the machine.
    Northern, I applied much the same logic as you but just as a litmus test I took a lesser Toshiba laptop I had with an ATI Radeon in it and installed WOS1 with Windows 7. Granted, the graphics are not as stellar and I do see artifacts and such but never once does the engine seize up and fail. The main Toshiba with 8.1 I have is no slouch though, it has 24gig of memory and a pretty zippy i7. When the engine is working, everything is rendering fine with the HD4000 and there is no frame drop or artifacts present. I can switch cab view and outside view without a hitch. But after several miles and somewhat randomly - poof - the engine will fail. I may have to do a clean install with 8 and strip away all the extraneous bundled junk and try again. Very frustrating but thanks for your insight.