Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast

Thread: What US routes are underway

Sean,

I believe we have a version of the Royal Gorge route that goes to or beyond Tennessee Pass. You might want to check
    that out, and if it is the case, I would concentrate on the CP routes after you finish the SP line. I have track laid on
    many more routes that I will ever likely complete but I just keep plugging along. Win-11 has just been announced,
    so I don't expect to go beyond Win-10 and I will put that off as long as I can. I'm even putting down track for the
    MRS Logistica in S. America. I have been given a few S.A. routes that are really great but I do not know of any source
    like our TrainSim site for obtaining them. As these were sent by individuals, I cannot re-release them.

J. H. Sullivan

Quote Originally Posted by landnrailroader View Post
    Sean,

I believe we have a version of the Royal Gorge route that goes to or beyond Tennessee Pass. You might want to check
    that out, and if it is the case, I would concentrate on the CP routes after you finish the SP line. I have track laid on
    many more routes that I will ever likely complete but I just keep plugging along. Win-11 has just been announced,
    so I don't expect to go beyond Win-10 and I will put that off as long as I can. I'm even putting down track for the
    MRS Logistica in S. America. I have been given a few S.A. routes that are really great but I do not know of any source
    like our TrainSim site for obtaining them. As these were sent by individuals, I cannot re-release them.

J. H. Sullivan
    Hi Jerry,

You're correct that there's already a freeware Tennessee Pass/Royal Gorge route. The quality of trackwork in it is pretty good, but the scenery quality in general is very sparse/"plain". There's nothing "wrong" with that per se, but as a matter of my own personal taste, I'd much rather have a small handful of very high-quality routes on my PC than dozens and dozens of bare-bones routes. That mentality is the only reason I would consider a re-do of Tennessee Pass. By the same logic, redo's of routes like MLT's Cascade Crossing, Sandpatch (one of Chris Nelson's projects), even a back-dated Tehachapi are all "fair game" and worth thinking about. TLDR - just because a route has been done before, doesn't automatically mean it shouldn't be redone/improved upon, in my opinion.
    ~Sean Kelly~
    MRL Mullan Pass for Open Rails: https://www.trainsimulations.net/mullanpass
    SP Shasta Route for Open Rails: In Development / Tracks 100%, Scenery 75%

Quote Originally Posted by muskokaandtahoe View Post
    I have issues w/ TSRE as well... different ones of course, some of which are maddening. But it does have some interesting and useful features, things like spray painting tertex art (and you can create your own brush patterns) as well as controlled movements using the transform feature. I think the UI is terrible, laying track more difficult, and you'll need to be in the habit of selecting the tile before rotating the viewport if you've been selecting things as it is possible to accidentally relocate stuff w/o knowing that you did that. Very bad if was a track shape. I will say it was promising, did get better, but like Kuju's work, remains incomplete and more difficult than it should be. Still, a remarkable program done by a single person and for that alone Goku deserves honest thanks.
    Sadly I have to agree with a lot of this. I do think overall the route-building process has been made faster... but there are a whole new slough of things to constantly be remembering/keeping track of in order to not trash your route. I have been stung numerous times by objects (including track like you say) shooting off into oblivion because I forgot to de-select it... Or terrtex patches inadvertently changing resolution when you paint on them... or forgetting to hit Z twice when slightly moving a previously-laid track piece, causing the TDB line to no longer correspond... or terrtex patches and/or references to filenames within tiles becoming corrupted if you attempt to paint on a DDS terrtex using an ACE texture for the brush (this one seems to act up very unpredictably...) It becomes a lot to keep track of in your brain when you're burning the midnight oil trying to stay away but keep making progress on a route.
    ~Sean Kelly~

One route I would like to see is the Lehigh Valley Buffalo Division, from Sayre to Buffalo/Niagara Falls. Abandoned in 1976, never officially included in Conrail. Cool-named trains like Apollo and Mercury, powered by trios of second generation "little stuff" GP38-2s, U23Bs and C-420s usually in solid sets, with a good dose of N&W high-nose run-through power out of Bellevue. Straight east out of Buffalo to Geneva, then south along one of the finger lakes.

I still have a few routes in the works that I'm plugging away on:

• Northshore/LTV is slowly progressing, but things are getting done. I was actually up on a recon trip last weekend.
    • CN's Northern MN (former DMIR and DWP) is moving a bit more slowly, but is progressing.

I also have several routes in early production that may or may not ever be finished:

• BNSF Lakes and Casco Subs
    • BNSF Hinckley Sub. plus some now-removed branches and St. Croix Valley RR
    • BNSF Brainerd Sub.
    • Soo Brooten and Bemidji Subs
    • Soo Danbury and Barron Subs
    • NP line from Brainerd to Int'l Falls, MN (former Minn. & International)
    • NP line from Duluth/Superior to the Twin Cities
    • A big mess of former logging lines across the Arrowhead region that I'm using as a semi-fictional route

If I don't make the attempt to finish them, they'll find their way to the F/L

Also, I need to wrap up those CNTP signals for Jerry...

I would agree with you for the most part, but I do not like to see rehashes of payware routes simply
    because that can bring up copyright issues. There have been instances, one I remember was when
    Sinclair created better forest items for the Cascade Crossing, where permission was obtained from
    the payware "owner" to make the revision & release it.
    The existing Tennessee Pass line was, I believe, done by Bob Wirth, who created all of the AT&SF
    Transcon as it was in the early 1990s or so. His objective was to create the basic route and then
    allow others to detail it as they wished. I follow this model myself. I will release a "decent" route
    with well done track & most roads, with all of the railroad bridges in place. I'll place reasonable
    details of other items and then when I release it, my future plan is to release a complete, ready to
    run route, but keep a route on backup that has no interactives place. Then I will let it be known
    that if someone wants a "sanitized" route to start with, I can send it to them via "WeTransfer".
    It is the same conundrum we have in model railroad layouts. I was never good with scenery so
    my layouts were "plywood empire" style. I've given up model railroads now, and my wife has
    claimed the right of way.

J. H. Sullivan, P.E. (retired)
    docent C&TS RR

I would agree with you for the most part, but I do not like to see rehashes of payware routes simply
    because that can bring up copyright issues. There have been instances, one I remember was when
    Sinclair created better forest items for the Cascade Crossing, where permission was obtained from
    the payware "owner" to make the revision & release it.
    The existing Tennessee Pass line was, I believe, done by Bob Wirth, who created all of the AT&SF
    Transcon as it was in the early 1990s or so. His objective was to create the basic route and then
    allow others to detail it as they wished. I follow this model myself. I will release a "decent" route
    with well done track & most roads, with all of the railroad bridges in place. I'll place reasonable
    details of other items and then when I release it, my future plan is to release a complete, ready to
    run route, but keep a route on backup that has no interactives place. Then I will let it be known
    that if someone wants a "sanitized" route to start with, I can send it to them via "WeTransfer".
    It is the same conundrum we have in model railroad layouts. I was never good with scenery so
    my layouts were "plywood empire" style. I've given up model railroads now, and my wife has
    claimed the right of way.

J. H. Sullivan, P.E. (retired)
    docent C&TS RR
    Jerry,

To be clear (I probably shouldn't have assumed you'd realize this) - any of these three routes I'd be doing would be done with the plan to be released as payware (like I did with Mullan Pass, and am now doing with Shasta). So with Tennessee Pass, if I go down that path it would actually be a totally new route from scratch, with exclusive objects and textures to avoid copyright issues (and to make use of more recent DEM data, etc.) This is the same approach Chris has taken with Sandpatch - it's a brand new route, nothing to do with the old MLT route.

If I did Tennessee Pass (for example), it would not be with the aim of trying to snub or "one up" the original route's creator; it's simply because I want to make routes that meet my own personal standards for trackwork, scenery, etc., and can be released as payware with an all-encompassing package of high quality engines, rolling stock, activities, etc. (I'm not so nearly as good with the engines and rolling stock creation, which is why it's nice to be part of a team.) All of that is the reason I joined the TrainSimulations team, because it makes producing that sort of package much more straight-forward.

BTW - if you eventually get done with the Camas Prairie, that's one route I may very much want to "spruce up" with high detail scenery since that area is close to home and a personal favorite. Your trackwork tends to be top-notch, so no worries there!
    ~Sean Kelly~

I've done pretty much the same thing Dave with all my routes. I do not want to ever have less than
    2 tiles either side of a line, even in the mountains, and generally use 4-5 in flat areas. Wasn't the
    Columbia R. line one of yours. If so, I want to see if I can use, perhaps 10-15 miles of it just to have
    a good start & end point for the SP&S around Pasco.
    J. H. Sullivan
    As Dave mentioned, the Columbia Gorge route did not cover anywhere near Pasco. It only covered a small part of the gorge near Wishram.

The freeware Lakeside Sub route in the file library here includes both the UP and SP&S down the Snake River, including some track in the Pasco-Wallula area - although you may find the realism of the trackwork to be a bit poor, especially in some of the more complex areas like Spokane, Pasco, etc.
    ~Sean Kelly~

Quote Originally Posted by geepster775 View Post
    One route I would like to see is the Lehigh Valley Buffalo Division, from Sayre to Buffalo/Niagara Falls.
    Speaking of the LV I wish somebody would correct the south end of the L&HR_1940 route. The "terminal" interchange at the south end was across the river (east bank) in Eaton PA where it met the LV. The LV and CNJ were also on the west back of the river. It's a well done route but as is it's a bit like getting all dressed up in fancy clothes and then wearing an old pair of cutoff jeans below your Tuxedo.
    Dave Nelson

Seldom visiting, posting less often that that.

Quote Originally Posted by PerryPlatypus View Post
    Sadly I have to agree with a lot of this. I do think overall the route-building process has been made faster... but there are a whole new slough of things to constantly be remembering/keeping track of in order to not trash your route. I have been stung numerous times by objects (including track like you say) shooting off into oblivion because I forgot to de-select it... Or terrtex patches inadvertently changing resolution when you paint on them... or forgetting to hit Z twice when slightly moving a previously-laid track piece, causing the TDB line to no longer correspond... or terrtex patches and/or references to filenames within tiles becoming corrupted if you attempt to paint on a DDS terrtex using an ACE texture for the brush (this one seems to act up very unpredictably...) It becomes a lot to keep track of in your brain when you're burning the midnight oil trying to stay away but keep making progress on a route.

I forgot about the scaling problem when painting.

I don't think Goku has any plans to update the program further.
    Dave Nelson

Seldom visiting, posting less often that that.