Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: What US routes are underway

Now that is exciting news to me! I have plenty of miles on the red line. I even have some time actually running some of the equipment.
    Christopher

Chris I am a motorman at the Seashore Trolley Museum in Maine and one of my bucket list items is to operate 0719 in our collection which is one of the original cars built in the 1920's for the Cambridge Dorchester Line as it was then called.

Equipment is an issue. For testing I have been using NY City R4 IND cars as a substitute for the 0600/0700 cars. There was a repaint of the Kuju Japanese EMU's to represent the Red Line Silverbirds. A few years ago "mestevet" on this board was working on the 01400 "bluebirds" but I don't know where he is with that project or if he is even still active in MSTS.

As many of you know, myself and Brandon Smith (and a few others) are currently working on most of the Midwest between Chicago and the twin cities, well I’m also work west from Toledo on the NS (ex-NYC) Chicago line that Will be a standalone route as well as eventually merged into our Midwest mega route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Don't tell me the sky's the limit, when there's footsteps on the moon..

--Josh--

Quote Originally Posted by jonpd View Post
    Chris I am a motorman at the Seashore Trolley Museum in Maine and one of my bucket list items is to operate 0719 in our collection which is one of the original cars built in the 1920's for the Cambridge Dorchester Line as it was then called.

Equipment is an issue. For testing I have been using NY City R4 IND cars as a substitute for the 0600/0700 cars. There was a repaint of the Kuju Japanese EMU's to represent the Red Line Silverbirds. A few years ago "mestevet" on this board was working on the 01400 "bluebirds" but I don't know where he is with that project or if he is even still active in MSTS.
    As another person from the Boston area (and childhood rider of the Red Line), the idea of an MBTA route is quite thrilling. Are there any plans/diagrams of the 01400s or 15/16/1700s floating around?

Colleagues,

I just got back from 3 weeks as a docent on the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic. Due to the Covid issue, virtually nobody
    was welcome in New Mexico and so trains did not start to operate out of Chama until 9/21 and then on 10/13 or so,
    the governor of NM ordered trains to stop running out of Chama. After some discussion, it was agreed that no more
    new tickets would be sold, so operation continued until the end of the season on Oct. 18. An early estimate puts the
    count at 10,000 passengers this year. A normal year would be 35,000+.

Meanwhile, I worked trains out of Antonito, round-trip to Osier exclusively and got in 10 "rides". My wife and I also
    rode the parlor car on 10/3 and then she was so affected by "cabin fever" that she rode the coach again on 10/18.
    There were two incidents. One was a guy flying a drone from the open air car. This breaks a Federal Regulation
    that says that drones must be operated from a fixed location, not a moving one. So a rule should be in place by
    next year to cover this. Then on the last day, a small fire was started by the engine (#488) near Hangman's
    Trestle. The fire patrol quickly put it out. As most of you probably know, the fire patrol consists of a motor car
    following the train by about 1/2 mile, and a 2nd one about a mile behind that.

J. H. Sullivan
    Florida

Cool Knoxville Division under way

Colleagues,

At the request of Dudley Evans, I am completing his route of the L&N, Knoxville
    division between Corbin, KY and Knoxville, TN. This includes the rather famous
    line up Hickory creek, through several short tunnels & bridges. It includes a
    short piece of the Southern Rwy. between Lake City (now called Rocky Top)
    and Vasper. The 16 mile or so, line from Savoy to Gatliff where there is a
    coal mine, active at least until 2018 or so is included.

A 2nd version, my own, although I digitized all of it for Dudley, will complete
    the Southern to Jellico, thence to Saxton, KY, and to Holton, Jct. (2 miles of
    track is included in the first version) and on to Fonde, KY. This will include
    the ARCO spur, a 15 mile line to the then (1967) new ARCO mine which had
    a 25 year contract to supply coal to Plant Harlee near Milledgeville, GA. I
    was on the 1st train to this mine, a test special, in 11/67 while working for
    the Southern Rwy. The Straight Creek spur will also be included along
    with its coal mine, also active until at least 2018.

J. H. Sullivan

Jerry, I'm glad you were able to make it out to the C&TS. I think you caught the lull in the virus while you could. It seems that thing are about to get serious now.
    Christopher

Chris,

Maybe, but in my less than humble opinion the real answer will come sometime after Nov. 3.

SWA was not selling the middle seat and this continues through November. Also masks were
    required in the terminals and we only were in 3 terminals, Jacksonville, Nashville, & Denver.
    Used to be that whether going to heaven or hell you changed planes in Atlanta, but now I
    would say it is Denver, far bigger & worse airport to navigate than Atlanta.

Masks were required on the trains, and docents were each issued two wind filters to put on
    the headset microphone that most of us use. These personal amplifiers were useless unless
    you put the microphone under the mask, hence the personal filter. I only used one, so I
    turned in the unused one at the end of the season. Colorado presented no special problem
    other than the airport at Denver. It is a easy drive to Antonito, of about 4.5 hours. We
    spent 2 nights in Canon City going to Antonito so as to ride the Royal Gorge train. It is a
    short, 2.5 hour ride, but I highly recommend it. Very nice folks, well maintained equipment.
    However the "boss" & I have agreed that we don't go next year unless NM is open and to
    that end, we have reservations for 2 weeks in Sept.2021 in Chama, NM with our fingers
    and those of the B&B proprietor firmly crossed. Chama was a ghost town this year and
    another year would finish it off. Folks on the train from Taos told me it was the same
    there. The Jicarillo Apache group near Chama was quick to close their reservation so that
    they were not nearly as badly affected as the Navajo. From what we were told, there
    were no cases of Covid in Chama, although there were several in Rio Arriba county. All
    of the restaurants were closed and one is belly up, while another is for sale. Subway
    and a coffee shop were open for outside eating only.

Jerry

Wow glad the C&TS was still able to operate some. I rode it back in 1974 when I was stationed at the USAF base at Clovis NM.

At Seashore we were able to operate but cut back to 4 days a week and with the cancellation of bus tours which is normally a big draw for us we got maybe 15% of our usual attendance. Masks of course at all times and using every other seat with seats roped off with bungees, also disinfecting every used seat between each run. Was more work but worth it to be able to run the cars and provide something for families at a time when many activities are shut down.

I split my time between SP's Cal-P line in central Cal., ca. 1950 and my Goose Island Rte (MILW's Division St Yd in Chicago), ca. 1947. I decided to add the Chicago Surface lines and the L Loop so I'm expanding my modeling of the loop. All buildings are custom and built to the specifications found in period Sanborn maps (100ft tot he inch). A recent test image, looking south from well above the Merchandise Mart:
    Clipboard0271.jpg
    Dave Nelson

Seldom visiting, posting less often that that.