Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread: What US routes are underway

Quote Originally Posted by muskokaandtahoe View Post
    Speaking of the LV I wish somebody would correct the south end of the L&HR_1940 route. The "terminal" interchange at the south end was across the river (east bank) in Eaton PA where it met the LV. The LV and CNJ were also on the west back of the river. It's a well done route but as is it's a bit like getting all dressed up in fancy clothes and then wearing an old pair of cutoff jeans below your Tuxedo.
    Hi Dave,

Hah - I've been trying for years to upgrade the LHR and I've been looking for help - track laying isn't my forte. The track really needs to be reworked for the full route as it's a tad rough in spots. This was my meager attempt to start - by laying track with ScaleRail from Martins Creek to Hudson Yard on 1/9 ArcSec DEM (note the terrain resolution on the cement quarry). I can do scenery, Terrtex, foliage, and models that could potentially improve the project. I've now completed the Mountains, Consolidations, and Mikados for their steam fleet.

I spoke with Rich years ago on why he didn't run track to Hudson Yard - he said the more densely populated urban environment was more than he wanted to handle.

MartinsCreek.jpg

HudsonYard.jpg

Regards,
    Scott
    Last edited by scottb613; 10-15-2021 at 07:58 AM.

I should have been more specific. I have set up the SP&S & the UP up the Deschutes River to
    Bend and I have included the City of Prineville, as well as the old UP which ran from the Columbia
    River up the east side of the Deschutes to where it joined with the SP&S. Beyond this junction,
    the SP&S line was eventually abandoned for several miles in favor of trackage rights on the UP
    and the UP abandoned their line on the east side of the river in favor of rights on the SP&S.

I was aware of the Lakeside route, and used small pieces of it when I did the "GAP" of the
    Milwaukee Road.

J. H. Sullivan

Quote Originally Posted by landnrailroader View Post
    I should have been more specific. I have set up the SP&S & the UP up the Deschutes River to
    Bend and I have included the City of Prineville, as well as the old UP which ran from the Columbia
    River up the east side of the Deschutes to where it joined with the SP&S. Beyond this junction,
    the SP&S line was eventually abandoned for several miles in favor of trackage rights on the UP
    and the UP abandoned their line on the east side of the river in favor of rights on the SP&S.

I was aware of the Lakeside route, and used small pieces of it when I did the "GAP" of the
    Milwaukee Road.

J. H. Sullivan
    Ah, an Oregon Trunk Route, now that sounds interesting! (Would be a great place to run BLW's SP&S Pack - we have been sorely in need of a quality SP&S route with good quality trackwork).

I could see the value in including some of the UP main as far as The Dalles for the purpose of reaching the starting point for the UP's Bend Local that operated for many years, even into the early 2000's.
    ~Sean Kelly~
    MRL Mullan Pass for Open Rails: https://www.trainsimulations.net/mullanpass
    SP Shasta Route for Open Rails: In Development / Tracks 100%, Scenery 75%

Quote Originally Posted by scottb613 View Post
    Hi Dave,

Hah - I've been trying for years to upgrade the LHR and I've been looking for help - track laying isn't my forte. The track really needs to be reworked for the full route as it's a tad rough in spots. This was my meager attempt to start - by laying track with ScaleRail from Martins Creek to Hudson Yard on 1/9 ArcSec DEM (note the terrain resolution on the cement quarry). I can do scenery, Terrtex, foliage, and models that could potentially improve the project. I've now completed the Mountains, Consolidations, and Mikados for their steam fleet.

I spoke with Rich years ago on why he didn't run track to Hudson Yard - he said the more densely populated urban environment was more than he wanted to handle.

Regards,
    Scott

Well... that is interesting indeed. I'm not the least by intimidated by urban scenery... it's pretty much all I do. Here's a map showing the relevant river crossing. The LV yard to the left is not very large, maybe 6 tracks wide and IIRC no industry is adjacent, just trees and a couple of houses. Over on the Phillipsburg side of the river are far more interesting sights but none directly relevant to the L&HR.

What I do not have is any information of the bridge used by the L&HR. It is NOT in the local map I have dated 1928. It is still over the river tho.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by muskokaandtahoe; 10-16-2021 at 12:33 AM.
    Dave Nelson

Seldom visiting, posting less often that that.

Almost correct. The only track the L&HR owned south of Belvidere, NJ, was Hudson Yard and it's leads, and the curved right of way over the Delaware river, connecting its trackage rights on the PRR's Bel-del division to the CNJ mainline. From Belvidere to Phillipsburg, the L&HR ran on PRR Track.

Here are the links to the Sanborn Maps. New Jersey. https://library.princeton.edu/visual...anborn-web.htm Listed by county, Phillipsburg is in Warren County.

Pennsylvania. https://libraries.psu.edu/about/coll...insurance-maps scroll down page to an alphabetical listing, the 1919 Edition includes South Easton.

While the Sanborn Maps aren't as accurate as the RR Val maps, they are a good source of the RR's constructions ( Roundhouses, Towers, Mow sheds, Ice houses, stations, etc.

Out of sight on the map you posted to the right was the western end of the DL&W Morris and Essex division. It was no longer as important to the DL&W once it connected to Washington NJ from Portland, Pa, and the double track was reduced to single track. They shared the CNJ Passenger station in Phillipsburg.

Lots of hills, so I hope you don't mind putting polys into basements. (most appear to have been simple stone walls.)

The L&HR Delaware River bridge turns up on Google. The Whipple Deck truss bridges listed at this entry_ https://bridgehunter.com/pa/northampton/bh71840/ were destroyed in a wreck around 1910 and were replaced with concrete piers and deck girders, the probability of widening the Locks on the Delaware division of the Pennsylvania Canal there now being zero.

Once the L&HR went to the Larger steam (USRA type Mikes, Consols and Mountains, their turntable was too small, and having pinned it between the Hudson Yard and the PRR's Bel-del mainline, it could not be made bigger. The L&HR engines were being turned and serviced at the PRR's turntable and engine facility by 1940. (also not on your map) (does show on the Sanborn Map)

Doug Relyea
    Last edited by drelyea; 10-16-2021 at 07:29 AM. Reason: dyslexia
    Making stuff that works, using outdated Software on outdated Hardware.

Some views of what I did get done in that area before running out of tracknodes. (MSTS Editor) These bridges were built to available Kuju/ X-tracks bridge tracks. (A1tbrdg or A2tbrdg)

Open Rails 2017-02-23 10-43-03.jpg

looking east from atop the CNJ bridge crossing the Lehigh River from Easton to South Easton. The bends in the CNJ main will be removed/ track relaid.

Open Rails 2017-02-08 05-40-28.jpg

looking Northeast up the Delaware river. Cantilever Free Bridge linking Phillipsburg to Easton. Concrete is the LV Easton station Platform at train level. Platform not built yet, and the LV's Freight and Express station underneath, also not finished.

Open Rails 2017-02-12 05-32-42.jpg

Up on tippy toes to cross the Delaware. Double lock is northern-most lock of the Delaware division of the Pennsylvania Canal system, single lock is roughly where the Lehigh Canal connected to the Morris canal by way of a slack water pool and steam powered overhead trolley to move the canal boats across the Delaware.

Open Rails 2017-01-28 10-12-25.jpg

Water level view on the Phillipsburg side. Pin connected arch deck truss bridge of the CNJ with the riveted Warren deck truss bridge of the LV behind it in back.

Open Rails 2017-01-15 07-39-38.jpg

looking southwest at South Easton, and the mouth of the Lehigh river. The industry to the right was there in 1939, but not in 1920. On the right, in the distance is the LV's Easton & Northern S bridge. Again built to available Kuju / X-tracks sections. Originally the Easton and Northern RR, it went bankrupt and the LV took it over to reach Industries in the North quadrant of Easton. It paid off when the Portland Cement boom happened as it ended on the east end of the Coplay - Bath - Nazareth - Martin's Creek cement belt and allowed the LV to enter that car pool.

to be continued.

Doug Relyea

part 2 of 2

Open Rails 2017-02-08 05-43-36.jpg

Another view of the cantilever Free Bridge. (so named as the 'square' on the Phillipsburg side was named Freedom Square. At one time the Phillipsburg trolley line crossed it on a single track.

Open Rails 2017-02-23 10-45-48.jpg

looking northward up the Delaware river and PRR Bel-del division. US 22 /former I-78 highway bridge crosses the south end of the lumberyard (right) and American Horseshoe (left) in the future.

Open Rails 2017-01-24 08-50-47.jpg

Further into the Lumber yard and American Horseshoe.

Open Rails 2017-02-23 10-48-53.jpg

partway up L&HR's Hudson yard. Note the double slip ladder inside the yard. J T Baker analytical chemical manufacturing plant on the left. Unsupported track was listed as a Coal Transfer on a 1910 L&HR track map. Haven't found a photo yet.

Open Rails 2017-02-23 10-51-40.jpg

Last industry in Phillipsburg going up the Delaware was the Phillipsburg Municipal Water Pumping station. It received coal for steam boilers to drive the Steam-powered pumps, pulling water from deep wells. From figures on the Sanborn Maps for it's capacity, these may have been the size of medium sized Blast-furnace blowing engines.

Doug Relyea

I love that line. Pretty much what all of us are doing. I do wish that Microsoft had not dumped the games
    unit. A full update of MSTS would have been nice. I am trying to learn TSRE and I really appreciate the
    effort that Goku put into creating it, but I have wonder just how many iterations of the Windows operating
    system must pass before it too is outdated and won't run. I keep an old PC with XP viable just in case
    an upgrade of my main PC throws out TS related items. By then none of us will likely be able to run the
    routes that exist.

J. H. Sullivan

Hi Doug,

You beat me to it - hah - I was like what an opportunity to showcase your work - just got done taking some screens to post. You did better so I'll leave mine off.

One thing that always AMAZES me is the scale of your route - here's most of the track layout with the entire LHR highlighted in yellow.

Doug's TriState Route
    TriState.jpg

Doug's bridges on the route are beautiful.

Doug - you should really think about uploading the unfinished route so others could get a firsthand look.

Re: LHR - I've stayed in touch with Rich - so if we could get smooth track laid between Hudson Yard and Maybrook - I would hope we could capitalize off his assets as placeholders until more advanced models are made. Doug has built countless magnificent structures and I've spoken with him on using some of his assets on an LHR rebuild as well.

The terrain from Martins Creek to Hudson Yard is certainly the most interesting on the entire route. On my little track laying foray (I see how it can be addicting) - I started laying track for just a stub of the LNE out of Martins Creek - I wound up climbing the tight steep stream valley all the way to Flicksville before I knew it. My skills and knowledge of real world track practices - just aren't where they need to be. This track was still in operation today:

One Last Grainer For Portland
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Czf4jZHWiOY

The original LHR uses those semaphores where the ACE of the blade blanks out particle/smoke effects when viewed through them - big detractor with steam locomotives - Travis kindly built me a new ORTS Semaphore set that would be appropriate for the LHR.

PRR Steam would fit in as well - as they ventured to Maybrook with LHR trains.

Here's one of the finest collections of 1940's railroad photography I've ever seen - and these are all from the LHR (note the high end trackwork):

LHR Furler Collection
    https://railphoto-art.org/collections/furler/lhr/

Anyway - all we need is a skilled track and road man - to lay the foundation. Most who've been around a while have spent time running trains on the LHR and we certainly lack on good transition era routes. Perhaps there's some interest and we could do a little team effort on a rebuild.

As always - just my two cents - please take it for what it's worth.

Regards,
    Scott
    Last edited by scottb613; 10-16-2021 at 11:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by landnrailroader View Post

I love that line. Pretty much what all of us are doing. I do wish that Microsoft had not dumped the games
    unit. A full update of MSTS would have been nice.
    J. H. Sullivan
    But there isn't any reason to think MSTS II would have been compatible in any way w/ MSTS I. We all hoped it would but hope wouldn't ensure that reality... not even for conversion software.
    Dave Nelson

Seldom visiting, posting less often that that.