Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: What US routes are underway

Probably posted about these before, and I am sure most aren't interested.

Vermont Rail System, Hoosick Jct, NY to Burlington, VT as well as Bellows Falls, VT to Whitehall, NY, both via Rutland. Basically four subdivisions in one. 2017-2021 era. Thought about adding the Lyndonville Sub, M&B Sub, and the NYOG line as well, but just, not excited on adding those lines..

Maine Central Mountain Division and Quebec Division from Portland, ME to St. Johnsbury, VT as well as Quebec Jct, NH to Stewartstown, NH. Recently have started fresh thanks to the other Sean Kelly.
    This would be dated in the 1975-1981 era.

Others I have thought about, and eventually plan..

Springfield Terminal District 3, from East Deerfield, MA to Rotterdam Jct, NY (originally District 4). This would be a 2018-2021 era line, with heavy traffic from NS(11R/16R, 22K/23K, 28N/29W, BNSF (Grain Trains), CSXT (Connection trains from ED to RJ), A ton of local jobs, etc.

CMQ Searsport Branch from Brownville Jct, ME to Searsport, ME.
    This could be dated either in the BAR era, MMA era, CMQ era, or CP era. Really a dealers choice, as much hasn't change, just who runs it.
    https://i.imgur.com/LPZNEX4.png

I encourage anyone to get on with creating new routes. No matter what area of the world
    they are in, somebody(s) will be interested in grabbing them. My personal preference is
    U.S. routes that actually exist, or did exist. Others like fictional routes. Either variety will
    interest some.

J. H. Sullivan

Quote Originally Posted by CSRX View Post
    Probably posted about these before, and I am sure most aren't interested.
    You got at least one interested person here!

Shawn those sound interesting, at least to me being a Northern New Englander. I have sometimes thought of the MEC Calais Branch especially backdating it to when the branch to Eastport still existed. The recent post on the NBSR repaint got me thinking about that rail line, St. John NB to McAdam including the Woodland Pulp Mill trackage as a start, maybe adding the EMRY portion across Maine with the potential to backdate to the CPR days when the Atlantic Limited still polished the rails between Montreal and St. John. Back in 1981 my wife and I rode that line both ways on VIA rail's Atlantic. As it turns out, yesterday I happened to be in Danforth ME crossing a set of tracks which later when I looked up in my trusty DeLorme atlas I realized was the very same former CPR now EMRY line.

As a start I plan to get DEM data for that whole North / Eastern Maine area, once I figure out how one does that these days, since it had been a decade or so since I last attempted.

Jon

I recently started a new route I call the Downeaster. This will be Brunswick ME - Portland - Boston, the route of Amtrak's Downeaster. Set in the present day. This is primarily oriented toward Amtrak operation but I plan to include spurs, branches etc. to allow for interesting PanAm freight operations. Plus MBTA/Keolis commuter operation South of Haverhill.

So far I have track laid from Brunswick to Rigby Yard and have started a little scenery. I plan to do this in 3 phases:
    1. Brunswick to Portland/Rigby Yard, including the Mountain branch to PTC and the Westbrook paper mill.
    2. Portland to Haverhill, including the Portsmouth and Saco branches.
    3. Haverhill to Boston. Planning to include both routes, the normal route via the Wildcat and Woburn and the sometimes used route via Reading.

I am also thinking of adding the Rockland branch, since there is talk of a summer weekend only Downeaster extension to Rockland. Modeling the BIW complex in Bath would be an interesting challenge.

This will be a marathon not a sprint so it will probably be some time before I have anything to upload.

Jon

Cool Routes Underway

Quote Originally Posted by landnrailroader View Post
    I encourage anyone to get on with creating new routes. No matter what area of the world
    they are in, somebody(s) will be interested in grabbing them. My personal preference is
    U.S. routes that actually exist, or did exist. Others like fictional routes. Either variety will
    interest some.

J. H. Sullivan
    Since I made this entry a while back, I have added a few, some of which will wind up in the "unfinished" category of the
    library because I have lost track of how many I have in the "queue" and it takes close to a year to do a reasonable route
    with minimal details. At 82, well ----.

Given that the CSX Cumberland Valley sub. (used to be division) is probably doomed account of collapsed
    coal markets, I have digitized it and will add detail locations such as points of turnouts, road crossings,
    etc. Likewise, having done the Corbin-Knoxville line which I plan to expand, I have digitized Corbin to
    Cincinnati. Years ago, one of our members started a route along the Columbia R. but as far as I know
    he did not include the SP&S line up the Deschutes R., so I have digitized that one and also included the
    parts that were abandoned after UP & the SP&S agreed to make it a joint line to Bend, OR. Most of that
    happened in 1923 and most abandoned parts are clearly visible on Google Earth. There is a route in
    the library that includes the part of the SP&S that was abandoned about 1987 or so, east of Pasco, WA.

The current "detail" project is the 3rd district of the CNO&TP, and I have digitized the 1st & 2nd
    districts as well, including a number of old parts that were bypassed by line changes between 1950 and
    1963. Once these 3 are done, the activity creators can go insane and I will outline one to help them
    over the edge, that happened every day, several times, and was complicated once a month by, guess
    who, me and my geometry recording activities. I am digitizing the C&O Coal Field and will probably
    lay track for it, but it will go in the "unfinished" category as I don't have a fire in the belly for that
    line(s).

J. H. Sullivan

I forgot to mention some routes I started but am unlikely to finish. First to describe is a quad cities route (Davenport IA/Rock Island IL, etc.) including the MILW Mainline between Savanna Ill and the next yard (name forgotten) just SW of Davenport. No track but a lot of work on terrain. The hook here was the industrial switching in the area combined withe beauty of running along the upper Mississippi. I rather doubt it will see more time (from me) but I thought it would be a good looking route. The Quad cities were served by the Milw, CBQ, MP, and the local belt line DRI.

Another is the Southern's S Line in North Carolina. Turns out someone else did that one (a fine job too and he should put it into general release) and I've been looking into applying the extra terrain tiles from my work to his so the route can be extended to Knoxville TN.

I briefly dabbled with the WM route between Cumberland and Elkins.

Last, terrain for the Camas Prarie. No other work performed. FWIW J.H. I usually create 5 near terrain files on either side of the tracks; Often not much use in the mountains but in any wide open area, like is found in areas of the Palouse, the effect can be stunning, esp under a good skydome.. If you want the tiles, let me know.
    Dave Nelson

Seldom visiting, posting less often that that.

I've done pretty much the same thing Dave with all my routes. I do not want to ever have less than
    2 tiles either side of a line, even in the mountains, and generally use 4-5 in flat areas. Wasn't the
    Columbia R. line one of yours. If so, I want to see if I can use, perhaps 10-15 miles of it just to have
    a good start & end point for the SP&S around Pasco.

I have laid track on the Camas Prairie, and next I want to add the trestles, and the lift bridge at Lewiston.
    I'll also be including the Joso Bridge & a short part of the UP line in that area.

One of the issues facing all of us, is what will happen to our hobby when we are forced onto
    Win-11. Already, I am staying with Win-7 because the Win-10 ATI drivers are not compatible with
    MSTS. However, I am gradually learning more & more about TSRE and likely some of my future
    routes will be done entirely with that. In my current (CNO&TP 3rd District) I plan to use Travis
    Ebner's Southern Railway signal rules/system which only works with TSRE or ORTS. But the signal
    rules for SR are quite different than others.

J. H. Sullivan

Cal Rasmussen did the Columbia River route. I don't think it goes as far east as you want.

WRT my own start on the Camas Prairie, I could send you the tiles I created when I was considering doing the that route if it would be of any help but IIRC I didn't go very far west.

WRT the MSTS route editor... like everyone I have my issues with it but I knew it well and whatever it could not do I did by hand editing of files. I have issues w/ TSRE as well... different ones of course, some of which are maddening. But it does have some interesting and useful features, things like spray painting tertex art (and you can create your own brush patterns) as well as controlled movements using the transform feature. I think the UI is terrible, laying track more difficult, and you'll need to be in the habit of selecting the tile before rotating the viewport if you've been selecting things as it is possible to accidentally relocate stuff w/o knowing that you did that. Very bad if was a track shape. I will say it was promising, did get better, but like Kuju's work, remains incomplete and more difficult than it should be. Still, a remarkable program done by a single person and for that alone Goku deserves honest thanks.

Win 11... I'm not concerned at all about MSTS not working at all under Win 11; I can't get the route editor to work at all anymore (win 7), I havn't used Train.exe to look at a route since the day Wayne Campbell sent me a program he was working on that later became Open Rails. I'm having a seemingly impossible problem right now w/ ATT e-mail and my Win 7 machine -- I can't pull my mail off the server into Outlook. My machine is rather old so I suppose I'll be building a new rig in a few months and I expect it will be necessary to install Win 11 on it.
    Dave Nelson

Seldom visiting, posting less often that that.

Wow, it's been 4 YEARS since the last time I replied to this thread... So worth an update I suppose?

SP Shasta Route (Klamath Falls, OR to Dunsmuir, CA) is getting fairly far along. Might be done in the next few/several months, but a lot dependent on my "real job" work schedule...

Looking at multiple options for what to continue working on next after Shasta... Have DRGW Tennessee Pass, BC Rail Squamish Subdivision, and CP Crowsnest as the top contenders currently. (All 3 of those have been just barely started)
    Last edited by PerryPlatypus; 10-14-2021 at 03:36 AM.
    ~Sean Kelly~

MRL Mullan Pass for ORTS
    https://www.trainsimulations.net/mullanpass